Can I just disable a sound card to use onboard audio?

ICN3D

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I have a sound card thats drivers are making my computer lock up. So I decided to use the onboard audio.

I really don't feel like opening up the computer and taking out the sound card. I read, by default, if a sound card is installed the onboard audio is off.

I can't find in the bios where it is to turn in on.

tecmo34

Administrator
1) What is your motherboard, so we can review the manual to see what we can find? Typically, I have not seen in BIOS that option myself either but we can take a look.

2) By the time you wrote your post & read mine, you could've removed the sound card and have been down with it :)

ICN3D

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Actually I did take out the sound card. I started up the computer and nothing.

I have an ASUS P7H55. The bios verison is 0308. I got a support disk with the computer that was part of the motherboard but nothing on it has to do with onboard audio.

How do you typically get onboard audio to work?

tecmo34

Administrator

You will need to uninstall the sound card drivers and either let Windows install their generic drivers or install the motherboard sound .drivers

dipswitch

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
I recently had the same problem after installing an ATI 5770 on my HP Pavillion Media Center.
I found a thread on the AMD game forums that fixed it for me; basically,
go into your BIOS setup. Search for "Onboard Audio" which is likely set on "AUTO".
Change this to "ENABLE"

My Control Panel now allows me to select the "Realtek HD Audio rear output", and everything works again.

Good Luck....

p.s. the thread on the amd forums is at this link:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=122279