Sign in with
Your question

LCD vs LED

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 13, 2010 7:05:24 PM

So in a nutshell what is better an LED or an LCD i know the physical difference but i dont know how that comes in to play when you are looking at it so can anyone tell me whats better ?

More about : lcd led

April 13, 2010 7:08:26 PM

They are the same thing? At least as far as monitors are concerned. LED in this context is an LCD that uses LEDs for the backlighting. Mostly allows lower power consumption. They are also supposed to allow darker blacks, but supposedly a slightly more blueish hue. At this point not worth the added cost.
m
l
April 13, 2010 7:12:27 PM

Well, I'd probably go with the one that has the highest refresh rate (khz). LED screens are better, but they cost a good bit more, because they are newer. They take less power and have better black color.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 13, 2010 7:14:45 PM

4745454b said:
They are the same thing? At least as far as monitors are concerned. LED in this context is an LCD that uses LEDs for the backlighting. Mostly allows lower power consumption. They are also supposed to allow darker blacks, but supposedly a slightly more blueish hue. At this point not worth the added cost.

Well im looking at a monitor that is LED and i think its a god choice because of it CR which is 1:2,000,000 does
its an LG screen. does this look like a good choice ?
m
l
April 13, 2010 11:40:20 PM

Could u give us the link for this product?
m
l
April 14, 2010 1:29:30 AM

You can pretty much ignore the CR. There are so many ways of listing it that its mostly pointless by now. ALL LEDs should have a better CR compared to normal LCDs.
m
l
April 14, 2010 2:19:49 AM

"LED monitors" are LCD monitors using LED backlight instead of florescent (CCFL) backlight.
LED backlight is generally no better than than CCFL backlight and in some cases can be worse. Better in that it can reach it's optimal white point quicker and uses a little less electricity; CCFL takes several minutes to "warm up" to get to the optimal white point.

Worse in that LED monitors are edge lit so the emitted light is not directed out of the monitor and directly towards the user (called full array backlighting). LEDs "shoot" light sideways through an amorphous material which reflects the light outward towards the user. Imperfections with the amorphous material will cause backlight issues and the edges of a "LED monitor" can be more bright than the center.

Blacks better in a "LED monitor" better than a LCD monitor in general? I don't think so. In order to get better blacks using LED backlight it needs to be a full backlight array. No bullsh!t edge lighting. It would also need to have local dimming technology, but that comes with it's own flaws as well.
m
l
April 14, 2010 2:24:56 AM

From my own observations, them seem about equal. The quality of construction/LCD will dominate performance over backlight type. However, they are lighter weight, thinner, and use a little less power. So to sum it up they are nice, but don't pay a big premium for one.
m
l
April 14, 2010 3:21:08 PM

There is only two improvements with LED technology.

1. Low heat, I can sometimes feel the heat off my monitor.

2. Light weight/Thin, my mother is very thick and heavy. Lacks style

LED doesn't provide actual picture quality.

The liquid crystals can only block so much light. So max contrast ratio is 1000:1 for any LCD monitor. The ridiculous amounts they quote these days are done by "dynamic contrast" which takes advantage of dimming the backlights for better blacks. A problem with that is everything else on the screen goes dark with the blacks.

So in games like Left 4 Dead in night scenes with lots of dark and only small bright lights to guide you, the screen would think the screen is 90% dark and turn the backlight virtuall off making it extremely hard to see. When you are browsing and there is lots of whites or in day scenes in movies/games the backlight won't get adjusted and you see no improvement.

CCFL backlighting won't get turned off to avoid reheating but LED screens can be completely turned off and turned back on without any delay. The numbers like 2,000,000 : 1 implies a screen that is completely off would be 2 million times darker than a screen that is completely on. Technically you would never see more than 1000:1 contrast ratio at any given point because dimming the backlight takes the bright stuff with it.
m
l
April 14, 2010 5:02:14 PM

My biggest problem with DC is it still is too slow (needs to be nearly instantaneous) and it needs to only happen in certain scenes (in many it just looks terrible). Thus, although most of my monitors have it, I always turn it off and just have a still very good 1000:1.
m
l
April 15, 2010 5:10:06 PM

I got an LED monitor about 6 months ago, and it is great, and beats any previous LCD monitors.

It is brighter than normal LCD, and 'smoother', and great picture. Movies and video are much more better, and games (especially those with lots of dark and black - the fun scary games) are much better.

Thats my personal opinion, and all I have to say about that.
m
l
!