Solved

1156 / P55 platform going away?

Noticing big markdowns on P55 boards. Is this processor class going away soon?

Was going to build a Core i7 860 based system. Don't need multiple video cards, so I don't think the added expense of an X58 based system is worth it. But if the P55 is end of the road might need to make other plans.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1156 platform away
  1. socket 1156 will be replaced with socket 1155 (sandy bridge) either l8r this year or Q1 2011, if upgrading is not in ur plans for the future i say go 1156
  2. Its likely that it will be backwards compatible since it has one less pin then 1156.
  3. Best answer
    @BigStack:

As long as a CPU can offer excellent performance for sufficiently long term(4~5 years), the "future proof" doesn't really matter at all. The 860 is in this category.
  4. iqvl said:
    @BigStack:

As long as a CPU can offer excellent performance for sufficiently long term(4~5 years), the "future proof" doesn't really matter at all. The 860 is in this category.

I agree with you completely. I made another thread regarding buying a i7-9xx or waiting for Sandy Bridge and it seems to me that what you said must be true. If your getting such a high performing CPU now then there will not be a need to upgrade for most people during the life of the socket type.
  5. daship said:
    Its likely that it will be backwards compatible since it has one less pin then 1156.

Nothing I have seen has said there will be a backwards compatibility with SB and 1156. I would love it though if that were to happen.
  6. ^ it wont happen
  7. Yea Intel could not be that nice. :p
  8. Yeah, the 1156 is a dead end (and, really 1366 also). the 1366 is more flexible, especially with multiple video cards. I just don't see me ever needing that capability. And one I build it, I probably won't open it up again (at least for anything major).

The other choice is going AM3 890 FX. Seems like a better platform, but with inferior CPUs.
  9. lol evil intel and their deviate socket plans to rule the world...

But yea, everything I have read says no chance of backwards compatibility, at least for the time being. Just gonna stick with a 1366 for my new build (i7 so similar to yours) and call it a day. Hopefully by the time either of us are thinking about an upgrade a mobo change is going to be inevitable so may as well not waste time thinking about it now.
  10. After working up a few systems, I'm finding that the x58 works out to be not much more expensive, and enables 6MB of ram on one bank (which I prefer). So I'm leaning back that direction.
  11. Wonder what was the thought process on the 1156 platform just to keep it alive for only a year or so and then shifting to 1155 which is only one pin less!!!
  12. Best answer selected by BigStack.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors