Building for the 1st time, what motherboard is best for AMD CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinywolves

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Okay so I am going with AMD 1090T, that's the Phenom II 6 core. The 1100T looks lovely too but I don't think I need it and also I am budgeting around 1,300 in total for bare essentials, (mouse, keyboard, monitor and etc all that stuff I got).

I started looking at that fancy Asus Crosshair IV Extreme with all it's cool buttons and junk.
I am aware that mixing and matching video cards isn't all worked out, so I then was looking at just the IV Formula instead but I see that the southbridge in these cards gets very hot and it overheats.

I'm looking at a Radeon 60XX series card by the way, think I'll stick for the 6870's for now since I don't need anything more intense (I just want to play Guild Wars 2 when it's finally out safely, most of my gaming needs my ps3 covers)

Anyway the motherboard that have been recommended to me are:
1. ASUS M4A88T-V EVO
2. ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
3. ASUS M4A89GTD PRO

Honestly a lot of them and I have not got a clue what to get. I just want to play games flawlessly and have a fast running computer.

Thanks for the help :love:

It depends on what you want.
Bord 1 onboard GPU USB 3 and SATA 6GB support well suited for a single GPU setup.
Board 2 last generation high end for multi GPU setup (single x16 dual x16 x16 triple x16 x8 x8 Quad x8 x8 x8 x8) but no USB 3 or SATA 6GB.
Board 3 Budget crossfire setup (single X16 dual x8 x8) with onboard GPU and USB3 and SATA 6GB support.
They will all run flawlessly with good BIOS options.

tinywolves

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I don't know what I particularly need since I'm a first time builder that doesn't really know a thing but is tired of store bought computers.

If I can run games without lowering my settings too much I am stoked. I want to run black ops, gw2, any steam game, dead space 2 and what not without any problems and high graphics.

With Crossfire, I assume I can get more power as I can slide in more than 2 cards....but board 2 can do that? What's the difference then??
Crossfire cards are the future though no?

Crossfire is an option to run 2 or more GPU's as one. I personally would select board 3, it gives that option + the new tech in USB3 and SATA 6GB. A single HD68xx card is enough for most everything today at resolutions up to 1920x1080 but in years time maybe another one for CF will be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.