Your question

Can't eject CD need help!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • CD-Rom
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2010 5:08:39 AM

Hey all, sorry if this it the wrong place for this but I haven't seen anywhere else to put this...

I have a mac mini running windows 7 32bit. Not bootcamp, I installed the os from scratch and just used the bootcamp drivers (3.1).

Everything works fine, except that if I put an audio cd in the thing, I cant eject it. No means of ejecting via the OS will kick the thing out. I had always had to reboot while holding the mouse button down to get it out- but now even that doesnt work.

I cannot get the cd out!

Im thinking I will have to pull the thing apart to get the cd out, but it would be awesome if anyone had any ideas short of that.

Ive tried holding F12 (its a windows bluetooth keyboard), holding C, holding each, and all mouse buttons on reboot... no dice. Since there is no OSX to boot into I dont know what my choices are.

Anyone? Anyone?

More about : eject

a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2010 5:45:01 AM

Maybe as a last resort...

Quote:

1. Turn the computer upside down and lay it flat on a desk or table. Use a flat-edged knife or small pry bar to gently and carefully lift the bottom panel off the unit.
2. Use a small Phillips-head screwdriver to remove the four screws at the corners of the large, flat, shiny metal panel directly below the bottom panel. Lift off the panel to expose the CD drive and remove the CD carefully with your fingers.
3. Replace the metal panel and its screws, then snap the bottom cover back into place. Reattach all of the cables and boot up the computer.
m
l
May 14, 2010 6:53:48 AM

Yeah thats whats going to happen I think. But it's really painful that everytime someone forgets and sticks an audio cd in there (I have two little kids too) I have to crack the silly thing open.

Maybe a 3rd party cdrom would open? Hard to say if its just pure os then I would still be screwed, if its the cdrom driver/firmware I might get lucky...
m
l
May 14, 2010 10:51:46 AM

It sounds like your drive's motor has died or has come unplugged. If you take it apart you'll see the motor and it's power plug.. make sure it's all plugged in, if it is plugged in fine.. you need a new motor or a new drive. You can get a quality DVD burner for £20 now a days..
m
l
May 14, 2010 11:14:02 AM

as to opening it, i am not sure about mac tbh however on a pc, there is a tiny hole in the front that you can insert a paper clip. IF your mac has that you can use the paper clip and by push inside the hole it unlocks and moves the gears enough for you to pull it the rest of the way open so you can remove the disc
m
l
May 14, 2010 12:45:58 PM

Hard Line said:
as to opening it, i am not sure about mac tbh however on a pc, there is a tiny hole in the front that you can insert a paper clip. IF your mac has that you can use the paper clip and by push inside the hole it unlocks and moves the gears enough for you to pull it the rest of the way open so you can remove the disc

This is definitely the best suggestion I've read in this thread. Check for the hole before you tear your drive apart, and replace the drive ASAP.
m
l
May 14, 2010 1:31:27 PM

cookies said:
This is definitely the best suggestion I've read in this thread. Check for the hole before you tear your drive apart, and replace the drive ASAP.

Thank you.. sometimes it is the simple stuff that people overlook lol
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2010 7:33:57 PM

Unfortunately, macs don't have that hole, silly fruit company. :)  It's still a good recommendation for people with PCs, amazing how many people don't know about it.
m
l
May 14, 2010 8:14:05 PM

Bummer. That just doesn't make any sense. I guess for the vendor it does - "Want your disc out? Send the unit in for repair."
m
l
May 14, 2010 11:30:08 PM

Yep sounds like Im SOL.

Its possible that the eject motor has just croaked, but thats pretty coincidental that I have trouble with audio cds (always) but never dvd's.

Any I wholeheartedly concur that it is asinine for the mini not to have the paperclip hole. Geez would that little tiny thing ruin the aesthetics or what?

Lame!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2010 1:56:47 AM

Take the drive out and remove the cover (small screws I believe).
Then when you plug it back in and power up your computer help push the tray out.

And if that doesn't work grab a pair of pliers and rip the tray out. Then go buy a new drive.
m
l
!