Old Asus PC-DL won't post, need a fix or a replacement

br0d

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
This motherboard was installed in 2003, has been flaking out a bit here and there since 2009.

Sometimes it would run for quite a while before posting, and I would have to reboot it a few times to get it to post.
Now it's doing the permanently running thing again, when it does attempt to post, it won't even get to the memory test, it locks up half way through the word memory at "memor"

Faulty BIOS chip?

The problem with replacing it is that I am using the proprietary on-board RAID in a RAID 0 configuration (eSATA) so I kinda need a replacement board (or a fix) that will allow this array to work, since the OS (XP) is running on it.

Specs:

1 x ASUS PC-DL Deluxe Dual 603/604 Intel 875P ATX Server Motherboard
2 x Intel Xeon 2.8 Prestonia 2.8GHz Socket 604 Processor Model BX80532KE2800D
4 x CORSAIR XMS 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Desktop Memory Model CMX512-2700C2PT
2 x Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM - in Raid 0 format, C:Drive
1 x Western Digital Caviar WD200BB 20GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM - for storage, E: drive
1 x Antec TRUE550 EPS12V EPS12V 550W Power Supply
1 x Antec Performance Plus PLUSVIEW1000AMG Metallic Gray 1.0mm SECC Server Computer Case
1 x ATI Radeon Video Card

Thanks!

Before buying a new board, I would test all your hardrives using Western digital's software. Your problem may be in one of the hardrives, not the motherboard. Some of the hardrive cd's act as a bootdisk, so you don't have to get to the post screen for testing. Only way to save your raid array is with an identical board. Check ebay.

ToyKalibur

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
I have that same board laying on a shelf when mine did that too. Now i parted it out but still have everything in fact, the processors i paid 600 dollars for way back when are sitting right in front of me. lol

If your is working again great and maybe that will inspire me to rebuild that machine. But if there is a newer board out there someone knows right off hand, I would be interested in that too.

172pilot

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Yeah.. I've got one doing ALMOST the same thing.. it will sit seemingly FOREVER on a black screen before ANY indication of a POST. I thought the thing was COMPLETELY dead, but I let it just sit there for a long time and came back and it was booted up fine.. It works GREAT when it's on, but I can't trust it to boot in under 20 minutes. Very strange....

At this point, the board is so old, it's not worth worrying much about.. One day it will get annoying enough for me to go buy a nice new Mobo with a 6 core proc and double the ram for half the price, but it works fine as an occasional machine now..

If someone does find a simple fix, like a BIOS upgrade or setting, I'd love to hear, otherwise, I'm just dealing with it.

-Steve