Which HDD of the 3 would you pick and why?

Randomnoob

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
The HDDs (the prices are the same):

SEAGATE HDD 2TB,SATA-3,64MBc,7200RPM,ST2000DM001 (12 months warranty )
SEAGATE HDD 2TB,SATA-3,64MBC,5900RPM,ST2000DL003 (24 months)
HDD WD 2TB SATA3 64MB - WD20EARX (36 months)

Would they be OK to use for boot drives? (I'm thinking of buying an SSD for that?)

Solution

Would go for th eWD... but it from theor "green" line - so is slow... RPM about 5400
For a boot drive - you want speed - so go SSD if you can ... or get at least a 7200 RPM HDD..

If you dont want to go SSD - I ould look seriously at spending a bit more and going for a WD black - which is the higher perfromance drive IIRC.

Cheers
I started to say "^+1," but then noted that the WD20EARX is also a "green" drive. So, I'll say "^+1, BUT..." You do not want to use a "green" (or "LP") drive as a boot drive. I'd choose this one for data any day (actually, I did choose a pair of "LP" drives in RAID-1 for my data), but I would not choose any of these as a boot drive. Iirc, 2TB drives still don't have quite the reliability of smaller drives. If I didn't use a SSD as a boot drive, I'd use something like a 500GB or 1TB WD Black or a Velociraptor.

Would go for th eWD... but it from theor "green" line - so is slow... RPM about 5400
For a boot drive - you want speed - so go SSD if you can ... or get at least a 7200 RPM HDD..

If you dont want to go SSD - I ould look seriously at spending a bit more and going for a WD black - which is the higher perfromance drive IIRC.

Cheers

Solution