Patriot Pyro SE SSD Issues

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Computer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 28, 2012 11:56:07 AM

Hey there.

Recently I've begun to have issues with my computer. As of Monday, the 25th, it had its first freeze and upon reboot BIOS could not find my SSD (the disk I use to boot with, I also run a 2 TB hard drive for storage). A few hours later, it was able to find the SSD again and booted like it would normally. Since then, the problem has recurred and has progressively gotten worse (less system up-time before freezes) and very recently, the later half of today, instead of simply freezing the computer would freeze and then display the "Windows is preparing safety precautions" screen before rebooting.

I've been able to update the firmware on the SSD (today, two days after the issue started) but have not yet updated the motherboard drivers (motherboard is a GIGABYTE Z68MA-D2H-B3). SSD is only 2 months old, a Patriot Pyro SE SSD 60 gb. I run Windows 7 64 bit. Through research I've gathered that the cause could be either a bad SSD, malware, or driver/firmware issues (however, to me it seems the driver/firmware issue would not seem to be the cause as the system worked flawlessly for about two months before the issue began), however, I am not a computer expert and could be going down a totally wrong path and be misunderstanding my problem completely!! :pt1cable: 

Any guidance that anyone can give me towards troubleshooting what the issue is and/or how to fix it would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Tim.
PS. (First time posting and if there is a more appropriate forum for me to post this post in, I apologize)

More about : patriot pyro ssd issues

a c 545 G Storage
June 28, 2012 4:41:22 PM

Update your motherboard's BIOS to version F10 and see if that (along with your SSD firmware update to version 5.0.2) will resolve your issues.

Also make sure your drive is connected to port SATA3_0 or SATA3_1 in AHCI mode for best performance.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 28, 2012 5:02:28 PM

It almost sounds like your running out of space on your 60GB SSD. Those issues you are describing sound similar to a topped off SSD.

However not knowing your system, this is just conjecture.
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2012 7:33:49 PM

Dereck47 said:
Update your motherboard's BIOS to version F10 and see if that (along with your SSD firmware update to version 5.0.2) will resolve your issues.

Also make sure your drive is connected to port SATA3_0 or SATA3_1 in AHCI mode for best performance.

Okay I'll update that right away. Currently the SSD is connected to the SATA3_0 but is not in AHCI mode. I found this guide for switching to AHCI mode (after windows installation) (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676) do you suggest following that?

Thanks for the help.
m
l
a c 545 G Storage
June 28, 2012 7:48:02 PM

Yes, that guide is what you need to do.

After you edit the Windows Registry file reboot into BIOS and then change SATA mode to AHCI.
m
l
June 28, 2012 8:31:23 PM

Okay well I've successfully changed the SATA function from IDE to AHCI, thanks for your help. However, I dont have a floppy drive or USB drive on hand atm and my internal hard drive is apparently unsuitable for updating the BIOS in qFlash so I'll have to get a USB drive later today and do that.

However, haven't had a crash yet today (maybe the firmware update yesterday helped?) so Im optimistic. Thanks again for your help!
m
l
a c 545 G Storage
June 28, 2012 8:33:29 PM

No problem.
m
l
March 7, 2014 5:59:22 PM

Chainzsaw said:
It almost sounds like your running out of space on your 60GB SSD. Those issues you are describing sound similar to a topped off SSD.

However not knowing your system, this is just conjecture.

I'm sorry to bump a really old post but I can't find this issue referenced anywhere else. My 120GB Patriot Pyro has disappeared in all senses. Gone from Windows, BIOS, Raid controller startup.. I was pretty positive it's dead, but I do know it had less than 6GB of space left. Is there anyway to recover from this?

m
l
!