Sign in with
Your question

Hey guys need some info on SSD

Last response: in Storage
June 28, 2012 12:16:35 PM

Hey guys I've recently bought a Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB. I've read the reviews on the sequential read/write and its suppose to be 550MB/s read and 515 MB/s write. However, the results shown from AS SSD benchmark were way off.. 164.06 MB/s read and 67.19 MB/s write. Can someone please explain the reasons for that big gap? Is the SSD faulty in some way? Any help will be appreciated!

More about : hey guys info ssd

a b G Storage
June 28, 2012 12:36:03 PM

You have to give computer specs and which sata ports you are trying to use - also what benches you are using.
-Bruce
m
l
a b G Storage
June 28, 2012 1:07:07 PM

SATAII vs SATAIII ports could attribute for a portion of that gap. They also determine those specs based on very specific scenarios (1 large video file vs 1000 small document files). Might be worth looking at forums to see if others are having the same complications. I prefer the Intel 520 or the Samsung 830 for my builds - both seem to deliver on the speed they spec'd and I haven't had any compatibility issues with either.
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2012 1:53:26 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, my computer specs are;

Intel i5 750
ASUS P7P55D-E PRO
Samsung 1TB HDD (SATA 3.0 Gb/s port)
Patriot Pyro 120GB SSD (SATA 6.0 Gb/s port)
Patriot G2 8GB 1600MHz
ASUS GTX470

I've installed my OS on SSD and just recently enabled AHCI from IDE mode.

I don't know much about computers so I'm not too sure what you meant by what benches I'm using.

m
l
a c 143 G Storage
June 28, 2012 3:30:51 PM

You connect the SSD to the SATAIII 6Gb/s port (Gray) which is MarvellĀ® PCIe SATA6Gb/s controller. It is slower than the Intel SATAII (the MB has 6 of them) and you should reconnect the SSD to the Intel SATAII.

Also do you update your MB bios and SSD firmware 5.0.2.

Check the upper Conner of the window when you open the AS SSD program to see: iaStor-OK if you use intel SATA driver or msahci-OK if you use MSFT SATS driver(default).

m
l
a b G Storage
June 28, 2012 3:51:24 PM

Your SSD is based on a Sandforce controller, which relies on compression to achieve its rated performance. If your data happens to be incompressible, the SSD performance will take a major hit.
m
l
June 28, 2012 5:48:35 PM

cin19 said:
You connect the SSD to the SATAIII 6Gb/s port (Gray) which is MarvellĀ® PCIe SATA6Gb/s controller. It is slower than the Intel SATAII (the MB has 6 of them) and you should reconnect the SSD to the Intel SATAII.

Also do you update your MB bios and SSD firmware 5.0.2.

Check the upper Conner of the window when you open the AS SSD program to see: iaStor-OK if you use intel SATA driver or msahci-OK if you use MSFT SATS driver(default).

Hi, I've reconnected to SATAII as you mentioned and updated the firmware to 5.0.2. The performance greatly improved, in the AS SSD program, actually has msahci-ok now and the sequential read/write doubled. But, I haven't updated my bios yet because I'm not too sure how to do that. Can you or anyone help guide me to it?
BIOS version: 0610
BIOS built date: 12/10/09
EC BIOS version: MBEC-0031
That's all the information I've found so far, if I'm missing anything let me know and thanks for your help so far. Greatly appreciated!
m
l
July 4, 2012 2:28:17 PM

Just updated my BIOS but the results didn't improve. Any other way to fix this?
m
l
!