Hey guys need some info on SSD

Hey guys I've recently bought a Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB. I've read the reviews on the sequential read/write and its suppose to be 550MB/s read and 515 MB/s write. However, the results shown from AS SSD benchmark were way off.. 164.06 MB/s read and 67.19 MB/s write. Can someone please explain the reasons for that big gap? Is the SSD faulty in some way? Any help will be appreciated!
8 answers Last reply
More about guys info
  1. You have to give computer specs and which sata ports you are trying to use - also what benches you are using.
    -Bruce
  2. SATAII vs SATAIII ports could attribute for a portion of that gap. They also determine those specs based on very specific scenarios (1 large video file vs 1000 small document files). Might be worth looking at forums to see if others are having the same complications. I prefer the Intel 520 or the Samsung 830 for my builds - both seem to deliver on the speed they spec'd and I haven't had any compatibility issues with either.
  3. Thanks for the quick reply, my computer specs are;

Intel i5 750
    ASUS P7P55D-E PRO
    Samsung 1TB HDD (SATA 3.0 Gb/s port)
    Patriot Pyro 120GB SSD (SATA 6.0 Gb/s port)
    Patriot G2 8GB 1600MHz
    ASUS GTX470

I've installed my OS on SSD and just recently enabled AHCI from IDE mode.

I don't know much about computers so I'm not too sure what you meant by what benches I'm using.
  4. You connect the SSD to the SATAIII 6Gb/s port (Gray) which is Marvell® PCIe SATA6Gb/s controller. It is slower than the Intel SATAII (the MB has 6 of them) and you should reconnect the SSD to the Intel SATAII.

Also do you update your MB bios and SSD firmware 5.0.2.

Check the upper Conner of the window when you open the AS SSD program to see: iaStor-OK if you use intel SATA driver or msahci-OK if you use MSFT SATS driver(default).
  5. Your SSD is based on a Sandforce controller, which relies on compression to achieve its rated performance. If your data happens to be incompressible, the SSD performance will take a major hit.
  6. cin19 said:
    You connect the SSD to the SATAIII 6Gb/s port (Gray) which is Marvell® PCIe SATA6Gb/s controller. It is slower than the Intel SATAII (the MB has 6 of them) and you should reconnect the SSD to the Intel SATAII.

Also do you update your MB bios and SSD firmware 5.0.2.

Check the upper Conner of the window when you open the AS SSD program to see: iaStor-OK if you use intel SATA driver or msahci-OK if you use MSFT SATS driver(default).

Hi, I've reconnected to SATAII as you mentioned and updated the firmware to 5.0.2. The performance greatly improved, in the AS SSD program, actually has msahci-ok now and the sequential read/write doubled. But, I haven't updated my bios yet because I'm not too sure how to do that. Can you or anyone help guide me to it?
    BIOS version: 0610
    BIOS built date: 12/10/09
    EC BIOS version: MBEC-0031
    That's all the information I've found so far, if I'm missing anything let me know and thanks for your help so far. Greatly appreciated!
  7. Go to the site to download the BIOS Version 1602: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55DE_PRO/#download

And follow the how to update BIOS: http://www.ehow.com/how_4885286_update-asus-bios.html

Good luck and have fun.
  8. Just updated my BIOS but the results didn't improve. Any other way to fix this?
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Reviews Patriot Pyro Storage