bill_67

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hi JSC
I have lost our previous message.
My Computer keeps switching off when the CPU is running flat out, I have observed this on the Task Manger. My system specs are obtained from CPU-Z.
CPU AMD Athlon XP, Code name Thoroughbred.
Package Socket A (462 )
Technology 0.13 um
Core Voltage 1.680V
Specification AMD Atholon(tm) XP 1800+
Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1
Ext Family 7 Ext Model 9 Revision B0
INSTRUCTIONS mmx(+), 3DNow!(+), SSE
Clocks (Core#0)
Core Speed 1500.3 MHz Cache L1 Data 64 KBytes 2 way
Multiplier x15.0 L1 Inst 64 KBytes 2 way
Bus Speed 100.0MHz Level 2 256 KBytes 16 Way
Rated FSB 200.0MHz
Cores 1 Threds 1
Its a self build Computer.
Bill

bill_67

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Wow, that's old. Ok well sounds like it could be the cpu overheating or the power supply is failing.

Check the cpu fan, make sure it's cleaned and free of dust and make sure it's spinning. If it's not spinning or spinning very slowly, that's your problem.

Yep its old but very little used, still life left in it yet? It does the job for me when it is running.
The fan is full of dust, there is dust on the motherboard too, the whole thing wants a clean out. What is the best way to get rid of the dust?
Bill 67

bill_67

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
You can buy canned compressed air at a local store like walmart or compusa (if your in USA)

Or you can just carefully use a vacuum and do your own blowing. You may even be able to unscrew the fan from your cpu's heatsink and get the dust out of there. Depending on what kind of heatsink fan you have.

Is the fan spinning at all?

Yes the fan seems to be spinning fast, I have removed the fan held by 4 bolts, there was no paste between the bottom of the fan and the heatsink, the heatsink is copper with lots of dust on the vanes, I am in the U.K. I wiil get a tin of compressed air and blow the dust out. Thank you for your help.

bill_67

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
You can just use your lips and blow hard, it should mostly come out.

There is not supposed to thermal paste between the fan and heatsink, only between the cpu and heatsink.

I took the fan off and cleaned it, the heat sink and the motherboard with a can of compressed air. When I connected it back together it was worse than before. It is shutting down with the processor operating at 40%, where as before it shut down when the processor was at maximum. Is there anything else that I could try?
Bill 67

bill_67

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

bill_67

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Sorry I did have time to load Task Manager, I did have time to observe that it shut down running at 40% where as before it was shutting down at 100% useage. So could somthing else be switching my computer off.

bill_67

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Download coretemp and check temps with that. If your unable to do that, look in your bios and see your cpu temps.

My Computer will not run long enough to get a reading. I have seen for sale an AMD Athlon XP 2400 2.0 Ghz Processor Heatsink and Fan. Could that Replace my AMD Athlon (tm) XP 1800 Processor Heatsink and Fan?

toker509

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Usually as the PC is starting up, and you see the scrolling black letters/initial boot up screen it will either tell you to push "del" or "F2" some motherboards are "F6" but usually IMMEDIATELY as soon as the pc gets power the initial startup screen should tell you what button to push to enter "setup" or "bios". Sometimes it can even be "F4".

But just experiment a little, try starting your pc a few times to see if you can identify what button it asks you to push to enter setup/bios.

toker509

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Thats strange, The Athlon XP Thoroughbred line is supposed to handle an operating max temperature of around 85°C to 90°C. Double check your temps, if they dont go above 50°C and the computer restarts you may have a faulty temp sensor, either that or you may have a different problem altogether. but you need to be positive of the temps you are seeing.

Keep in mind that some older motherboards dont even have a CPU Temperature Sensor. Some only have Motherboard temperature sensors. If you find yourself in this category then you are going to have to buy "thermal paste", remove your heat sink, clean off all the old thermal paste from the processor and heat sink with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. And re-apply a very thin layer of thermal paste to the very top of the processor. You only need about as much as a half-grain of rice so you will have lots and lots left over in the tube, this is normal. Once this is done then Gently try to re-seat the heat sink/fan. Then try to run your machine like normal.

You can find "thermal paste" at frys, best buy and maybe at your local computer repair shop. It is also sometimes referred to as "thermal compound". Any regular thermal paste will work just fine on your setup.

needsumhelplol

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

It would be a good idea at this point to (you can probably pick an OK one up cheap this time of year if you don't already have one) place a large household fan aimed into the computer and remove the side casing.

If it still powers itself down with the fan on full, then it's less likely to be an overheating issue.

PS: +1 ^ get some thermal compound and re-apply

PSS: the temp rising from 28c to 50c within bios isn't really a good sign... although max is probably above 50c, if this temperature change is rapid enough it could indeed trigger anti-overheating failsafes

bill_67

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
HI
I have checked the Temps again the M/B temp is constant 23/24c
the CPU started at 38c and gradually increased to 51c the computer ran for 15 mins in Bios mode with a fan blowing into the side with the panel off, it had turned off previously after two or three mins without the fan. I thought maybe the CPU was only idling in Bios mode, so i went into startup and pushed the CPU to 100% after 1 min the computer switched off. Does this look like a over heating problem?

needsumhelplol

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Sounds like it could be.... could also be a power supply problem.. or a MB problem...

You know what would help though... if you posted some real system specs.. amount/model of RAM and model of PSU and motherboard would be a start.... all CPU-Z tells us is about the CPU.. and it's comparatively unlikely the CPU itself is faulty

bill_67

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hi
Bios version K7V88 BIOS P1.10
PROCESSOR TYPE AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
Processor Speed 1500MHz

Total Memory 1536MB
Dual Channel Mode

DIMM 1 256MB/133MHz (DDR266)
DIMM 2 512MB/133MHZ (DDR266)
DIMM 3 256MB/133MHz (DDR266)
DIMM 4 512MB/133MHz (DDR266)

Mother AGP8X Sata Dual channel
Does this help?

needsumhelplol

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
When did you buy that extra ram..?

Please either disable dual-channel or remove two ram sticks so that either A. ONLY the two 256MB sticks remain B.ONLY the 512MB sticks remain... obviously option B is preferable.

Ground yourself before removing the DDR by touching the case of a computer with power supply PLUGGED IN BUT SWITCHED OFF...last thing you want to do is fry your DDR... that stuff is expensive now because it's so supply is so scant

Then see if you still have the problems...

Edit: i think you mean the K7V88 as i cannot find any ''K7V99''...

If this is the case you should leave your 512mb modules in either the blue (DDR 1 and DDR 3) or black (DDR 2 and DDR 4) slots

Another option would be to leave ANY THREE modules installed in any slots... this would disable DUAL CHANNEL.. i'm not sure which would perform better though

after you're done switching out the ram i would recommend activating CLRCMOS2 jumper

Look here for more information

http://europe.asrock.com/manual/K7V88.pdf

bill_67

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hi
I bought the first pair of 256mb DDR ram 10/04/06
I bought the second pair 512mb DDR ram 25/07/08
I disabled the Dual mode, cleard the CEMOS
Total Memory is 1280mb single channel mode.
Yes the M/Board is K7V88.
I started up Windows XP Pro with out the domestic fan running it completed start up so I connected to the internet it ran about three mins then switched off. I let it cool started in the Bios with the domestic fan running temp 38c temp increased to 48c then it switched off again!

bill_67

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hi
I have been having problems posting for the last four days, my posts have not been registering, I have had to re join the group again.
Thank you to all whom helped to resolve my switching off problem, my computer is now running with out switching off after I had re-seated the Heat-Sink, the runing temps are M/Board 31c, CPU start 28c rising to max 40.5c. With all the messing about I did befor I got your expert advice I am having problems with the short cut icons on my desk top some times they do not respond, and I have lost the sound any ideas?

bill67