Some power supply works, some not

Desktop Works

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hi,

I have a Media Center m7780n desktop. It stopped powering up, I tested it with an older HP power supply that powered the MB, however doesn't have all the right connections. So I purchased an exact replacement power supply and now this new one will not power the PC either.

Any thoughts?

Johnathon

Solution
+1 for motherboard.

To check just remove everything from your motherboard, RAM, Vid Card, CPU, Disconnect HDD's. Then see if it powers on, if no, then MB is gone. If it powers on, just add 1 component at a time (not while it is powered on obviously) until you find the one that is causing the problem.

Desktop Works

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hi,

If the power supply is faulty then both are, while the older one still fires the CPU fan. I know, weird.

No, nothing new on the PC, worked great one night, did not power up the next day.

Johnathon

+1 for motherboard.

To check just remove everything from your motherboard, RAM, Vid Card, CPU, Disconnect HDD's. Then see if it powers on, if no, then MB is gone. If it powers on, just add 1 component at a time (not while it is powered on obviously) until you find the one that is causing the problem.

Solution