Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Some power supply works, some not

Last response: in Components
July 20, 2010 12:09:41 AM

Hi,

I have a Media Center m7780n desktop. It stopped powering up, I tested it with an older HP power supply that powered the MB, however doesn't have all the right connections. So I purchased an exact replacement power supply and now this new one will not power the PC either.

Any thoughts?

Johnathon

More about : power supply works

a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2010 12:28:04 AM

Perhaps your new power supply is faulty. Does the power supply power up using the paper clip trick? Have you fitted any additions to your computer like graphics card etc.?

July 20, 2010 12:45:54 AM

Hi,

If the power supply is faulty then both are, while the older one still fires the CPU fan. I know, weird.

No, nothing new on the PC, worked great one night, did not power up the next day.

Johnathon
Related resources
July 20, 2010 1:47:31 AM

Hi, and yes, I just did the paper clip test on both PS, both work.

Johnathon
a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2010 3:12:03 AM

Well then if what you are saying is true I would get another much bigger power supply and try that, if you still have the same problem then I would think that there is something wrong with the motherboard (look for bulging tops on the capacitors).
a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2010 3:13:53 AM

probably a bad mobo.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2010 3:51:58 AM

+1 for motherboard.

To check just remove everything from your motherboard, RAM, Vid Card, CPU, Disconnect HDD's. Then see if it powers on, if no, then MB is gone. If it powers on, just add 1 component at a time (not while it is powered on obviously) until you find the one that is causing the problem.
July 27, 2010 2:55:47 AM

Best answer selected by Desktop Works.
!