Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Radeon 5770 HD?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 14, 2010 12:28:58 AM

My friend got this card and it runs Fallout 3 great. I think its a little pricey though. Is there another card that has better performance for the same or less price?

More about : radeon 5770

April 14, 2010 12:57:34 AM

Currently in the market the 5770 is a pretty sold card in price/performance.

It's a little bit weaker in performance then a GTX 260(216) or a 4870 but it's much harder to find a cheap 260 or 4870 at prices that the 5770 is at now.

So unless you need less performance then a 5770 it's a pretty good decision at the moment at that price.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 228 U Graphics card
April 14, 2010 1:21:09 AM

5770 is a solid choice up to 1650 x 1050 in DX11 and 1920 x 1200 in DX9/10

At 1920 x 1200 on today's DX11, it comes up a bit short. The entry point here is the 5850 with the 470, 5870, and 480 as higher priced and higher performance alternatives.
m
0
l
April 14, 2010 1:52:32 AM

If you are looking to save a few bucks you could go with the 5750 with a little overclocking it will push clock speeds of 840/1330 no problem. It is a solid card if your on a budget and it will handle most any game you can throw at it with decent refresh rates and fps. I had this card before i upgrade to 5870 and i was very impressed with with cost/performance ratio on this card. But i would probably lean more to the sapphire side especially on the 5770 as there were a lot faulty cards that were rma'd.
here are a few options.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=48965&vpn=AX5750%201GBD5-...
m
0
l
April 14, 2010 1:58:32 AM

How is it that there are like 3 versions of the 5770. There is the XFX, that powercolor one he provided a link to, and i think there is a saphire one. what is the idfference?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2010 2:22:04 AM

kingneptune117 said:
How is it that there are like 3 versions of the 5770. There is the XFX, that powercolor one he provided a link to, and i think there is a sapphire one. what is the idfference?


There are a few small differences on some of them --

1st off the one that was linked only has 512mb of memory so is not a good choice if you are planning on using any AA or AF etc. or running a higher resolution or graphically intense games (Fallout 3 being one) since once they go above 512mb of VRAM usage you'll be using the system shared memory slowing things down considerably !!

2nd - some of the cards have only a single crossfire bridge connector so you can not use them for triple X-fire (usually not that important but something to keep in mind

3rd - Some have only a single DVI connector so using 2 monitors requires on to be on HDMI or display port connections

4th - many have different coolers which can be more\less efficient so that the card runs cooler\warmer

5th - Different companies offer different warranties.
m
0
l

Best solution

April 14, 2010 2:23:04 AM

Out of the ones that newegg has to offer rightnow you might want to checkout the review on the 5770 MSI Hawk over at guru3D. This card is very impressive. http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-r5770-hawk-review/1
Share
April 14, 2010 11:51:40 AM

I have MSI R5770 HAWK, on this card you can drive every game in max. setting. It's better from GTS250 even of GTX260 in most bendchmark. MSI have a nice cooling sistem "Twin Frozr II" with two fan and three heatpipe. For me, this is a best buy now.
But if you want little cheaper graphic card, you may go with Nvidia MSI GTS250 Twin Frozn 1Gb or HD5750, but no Sapphire. Many user have a problem with Sapphire card seria 57xx...
But you want even better performance for less price, i don't thing that.
Look a diference for each graphic card on this site:
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=615&card2...
m
0
l
April 14, 2010 4:36:13 PM

Misko195 said:
I have MSI R5770 HAWK, on this card you can drive every game in max. setting. It's better from GTS250 even of GTX260 in most bendchmark. MSI have a nice cooling sistem "Twin Frozr II" with two fan and three heatpipe. For me, this is a best buy now.
But if you want little cheaper graphic card, you may go with Nvidia MSI GTS250 Twin Frozn 1Gb or HD5750, but no Sapphire. Many user have a problem with Sapphire card seria 57xx...
But you want even better performance for less price, i don't thing that.
Look a diference for each graphic card on this site:
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=615&card2...

I agree on the msi hawk being the best deal performance/cost wise but from personal exprience in using the 5700 series cards in some of the newer budget to midrange rigs i have built in the past few months it has been powercolor more in point the 5770 powercolor cards that have given me the most problems and needing to be rma'd. But again most diffenitly the msi hawk 5770 is the card to go with if spending the few extra bucks is not an issue.
m
0
l
April 14, 2010 10:26:13 PM

How's the performance rate on a 21" monitor at 1280x1024? Or am i just being silly? Mmm?
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 14, 2010 10:47:49 PM

You'll easily max everything.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 2:13:04 AM

davethecook said:
How's the performance rate on a 21" monitor at 1280x1024? Or am i just being silly? Mmm?


the 5770 is good for up to 1680x1050 res or even slightly higher before the bandwidth starts to effect performance a bit - so at 1280x1024 it runs pretty much all games on high settings well.
m
0
l
April 15, 2010 3:12:52 AM

azazelnydm said:
Out of the ones that newegg has to offer rightnow you might want to checkout the review on the 5770 MSI Hawk over at guru3D. This card is very impressive. http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-r5770-hawk-review/1


Thanks very much for your suggestion, this thing looks great! It is a bit more expensive than the XFX version but damn it is probably worth it.

Is it normal to feel bad and nervous about spending so much money? :( 
m
0
l
April 15, 2010 3:15:12 AM

Best answer selected by kingneptune117.
m
0
l
April 16, 2010 1:31:02 PM

kingneptune117 said:
Thanks very much for your suggestion, this thing looks great! It is a bit more expensive than the XFX version but damn it is probably worth it.

Is it normal to feel bad and nervous about spending so much money? :( 

One should only feel bad or nervous about spending money on a computer if the wife or the girlfriend will cause you unspeakable pain while you sleep lol :pt1cable:  :lol:  and thanks for picking my answer as the best :hello: 
m
0
l
!