Sign in with
Your question

VIDEO EDITING/TRANSCODING BUILD

Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2010 4:11:26 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week (the closer the better))

BUDGET RANGE: $600-800

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Photo Editing (Latest Adobe Photoshop), HD and SD Video Editing/Encoding (Powerdirector 8, Convertxtodvd, dvdfab, among a variety of others), Music, Light gaming.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, Win 7 64 biy, 10,000rpm sata II hdd's in raid setup, bd reader writer and dvd reader writer. ATX Case. OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: typically use newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: Would a quad core with hyperthreading be beneficial for my uses?

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would nvidia with CUDA or ati with STREAM be better for the the video editing, etc?

Basically, I need a MB, CPU, GPU, and RAM. I may upgrade to SSD as they become cheaper in the future. Since I game very little I probably dont need a dual GPU setup. Thanks for your help in advance
May 14, 2010 8:15:15 PM

Welcome to the forum. Here's a few comments
1) Depending on which Velociraptors you've got, I would consider replacing them.
2) NVidia or ATI would work fine
3) Yes HT would help you out a bit
4) With your budget you could almost go all the way up to a i7 930 build, but here's a balanced 860 build for you to have a look at.

CPU:
  • Intel Core i7 860 -$280-
    MOBO:
  • Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 -$116-
    RAM:
  • G.Skill Ripjaws -$116-
    GPU:
  • Asus Radeon HD 5770 -$163-

The money you save could allow you to get that SSD.
  • OCZ Agility 2 -$190-
    m
    l
    !