Solved

Case Lifecycle

I was just wondering if there as a standard lifecycle for cases or not. I'm going to be building a new rig for Diablo III, but the bug has bitten me now and I've become absolutely fascinated with the Silverstone Fortress FT02 case. I was wondering if there is anything 'wrong' with purchasing a case now and just having it around for a bit until I purchase the rest of the components? Obviously I run the risk of the price coming down, but I may throw my current rig into the new case. Essentially, I'm looking for any insite as to why this may not be a good idea.

Additionally, any personal thoughts on the case? Tom's gave it rave reviews and that's also the case across the rest of the internet.

Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about case lifecycle
  1. Best answer
    Cases are supposed to last you for several years or a couple of builds. If you have a good case you probably dont have much reason to keep upgrading it with each build so its perfectly fine to buy it now and then get the rest of the components.
  2. I currently have a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream and while it's been a decent case, I'd like to stay with air cooling and have been interested in trying out the ideology of, you get what you pay for. So with that said and this build, I'm looking to spend a decent chunk of change on the case alone. I'm not necessarily concerned with tooless design, but more about it's ability to keep my components cool and clean. I plan on only starting with one GPU and adding an additional one if Diablo 3 takes advantage of a second GPU.
  3. Yea a case should last you quite some time to come. Personally that is the first item I go for in a build as the prices for it aren't likely to come down.

I don't know much about that specific case, but I will say that seems a tad much to spend on any case for that matter. Perhaps you could try the storm sniper? I may look at getting that myself so maybe give that a shot.
  4. @shoe, I too have the Tsunami Dream and I canabilized an old P4 system to use that case to make my secondary i5 system. When I made my bigger i7 system, I bought the HAF 932 because its bigger and I wanted the airflow. I would continue to use the Tsunami Dream except that I wanted an inverted case (long story). One thing I did notice when I installed the new i5 board into the Tsunmai is that certain things now standard on cases aren't on the Dream. For instance, the dream doesn't have a "headphone detect" return, so if you plug one in, it doesn't tell the board to 86 the speakers. Plus, I found it has some difficulty fitting modern, larger power supplies.

So, that's a way to say that some things about a case become not needed and some little things you want or expect might not be there. It doesn't effect the life cycle of the case, per se, just whether you still like it. So, the only downside to buying the case now is that the next gen of cases might have something really cool that your chosen case doesn't have. Whether that's a deal killer or not depends on you.
  5. I ended up going with a HAF 932. It was a tough choice, but I couldn't justify the price of the Silverstone when the 932 had great reviews and was a very nice price point. I'll get the inside painted up when it gets a bit cooler outside and make it what I want it to me.
  6. Best answer selected by thieveryshoe.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Silverstone Cases Components Product