5850 Black edition or 470

oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
i had recently purchased a 5870 at the amazing price of 379.99!!!! Turned out it was a scam :(, had to call mastercard and get my money back. So know after months of waiting im back on the search looking at the 5850 BLACK Edition and gtx 470 were i am stuck once again. I plan on doing ZERO overclocking, but i want the best card out of the box. I am aware of the heat issues and psu. I am looking for the one with the most futurability. As this is my first upgrade and only plan on upgrading about every four years. Thank you guys for all the help!!!!
(mainly looking for pros and cons of both not including heat and power)

notty22

Distinguished
There was a 269.99 powercolor 5850 with a free game available for a short time at zipzoomfly and newegg,today, both sold out now. Look for deals like this, there is competition now, good for everyone.
Your not going to get a 470 for less than 350.00, and thats now! IMO. Both give great performance, Nvidia comes with cuda, and PhysX. I won't try to 'sell' you on either, check them out at nvidias web site.

oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

wow must of gone fast never saw them on the egg lol....hmmm would you know if cuda gives any benefits for everday computing?, i've googled but cant find an explanation.

Both cards are very competitive with a "dollars per frame" within 1% either side of $9.00....both my college age sons are planning builds and one is going with twin 5850's and eyefinity for FSX and the other is doing twin 470's. The 1st as you may have guessed is a pilot studying for his Flight Instructor's certificate. The other is into science (studying to be a science teacher) and media arts. I'm also leaning twin 470's (AutoCAD) but will wait till summer to decide.

CUDA does very cool things in games to make the images look more detailed.....it's also significantly speeds up working w/ movies. The 470's pop up every once and a while in stock on newegg but they are sold out in minutes.

here's aGFX Card review "Roundup"

http://www.softsailor.com/news/22371-nvidia-geforce-gtx-480470-benchmarks-review-roundup.html

brennon7

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
The 470 is in stock at tigerdirect right now.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/nvidia/gtx470/

the 5850 can run three monitors by itself. GTX 470 cannot, it will require 2 cards. 3 screens are the future. But for a single monitor 1080p they would be equal in my eyes.

4745454b

Titan
Longevity is probably with the GTX470. Its a bit more more powerful, and Nvidia gave its tessellater engine a bit more power as well. From a longevity stand point ONLY the GTX470 is a better buy.