Sign in with
Your question

New sandy bridge?

Last response: in CPUs
July 20, 2010 2:37:14 AM

i was planning to build i7920\930 at around xmas but have recently seen these new processors do you think it would be better to wait for them to be released to either buy a snady bridge cpu\mobo instead of i7, or maby the knock-on price reductions in the i7 lineup?

More about : sandy bridge

July 20, 2010 2:44:02 AM

My personal opinion is that it's foolish to wait for new technology to come out. It's inevitable that something new is going to come out. I'd recommend just purchasing what you want now.
a c 99 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 2:50:37 AM

codnan said:
i was planning to build i7920\930 at around xmas but have recently seen these new processors do you think it would be better to wait for them to be released to either buy a snady bridge cpu\mobo instead of i7, or maby the knock-on price reductions in the i7 lineup?

If you need something now, build it now. If you don't, wait. There is always something new around the corner.
Related resources
July 20, 2010 3:11:07 AM

well i have been buying parts (leaving mobo cpu and gpu till last ) and i should be finished about the end of the year (xmas) so i could wait but do you think it will be affordable not intel extreme(price)
a c 738 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 3:49:10 AM

I think unless you absolutely have to have a new system at that time, wait for SB.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 8:56:20 AM

Coheed said:
My personal opinion is that it's foolish to wait for new technology to come out. It's inevitable that something new is going to come out. I'd recommend just purchasing what you want now.

But if you keep putting it off, your new rig will never get old! :) 
July 20, 2010 1:57:51 PM

you could also consider AMD Bulldozer, if ur worried bout the price!
a c 317 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 2:02:01 PM

If your time frame is Xmas, then wait. If you are looking at a i7-920 class processor, then wait for sandy-bridge which looks like it will appear within your time frame.
SB will be 32nm, start at higher clock rates, be quad core, and probably overclock higher and easier than 45nm. Also, the new architecture will be faster, clock for clock, I expect 10%+.

32nm yields intel more chips per wafer, making their cost lower than 45nm. They will probably sell the chips based on what the market will bear initially, but the ability will be there to compete with whatever AMD will offer.

Expect Intel price reductions soon on competing chips to clear out inventories. Now is a decent time to buy only if you need to build now.
If you are shopping for parts, look for case, psu, keyboard/mice, and monitor. DDR3 ram is probably OK also.

a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 2:18:21 PM

I wouldn't be that confident about Sandy Bridge, but it must be a definite improvement over Nehalem CPUs. Maybe less than Westmere tho...
a c 317 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 2:29:40 PM

amdfangirl said:
I wouldn't be that confident about Sandy Bridge, but it must be a definite improvement over Nehalem CPUs. Maybe less than Westmere tho...

Nobody who knows is telling. But, previous architectural improvements(is it tick or tock?) have provided an improvement in performance per clock of 10-15%. The introduction of new instructions can give major improvements to applications that use them. The 32nm clarkdales have proven to be great overclockers.

We'll see. I, personally am planning on a Sandy bridge build.
a c 131 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 3:36:17 PM

I wouldn't wait for sandy bridge. It's better, but not significantly. All 32nm though, if that's your thing. Plus if you wait, you get more for your money. But that is always the case.

As geofelt also said, the new instruction set ALV or something, is something that will become standard. Both bulldozer and sandy bridge will have it. That is something to consider.

Personally, I would wait for bulldozer, find out if it is a hit or miss architecture.
a c 738 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 4:03:45 PM

Considering his time frame of building a PC, I think he should wait. Actually it has been rumored that SB will be out in Q4 of this year so it may be out when the OP intends to actually build his system.
July 20, 2010 9:39:55 PM

i have slowly been buying bits mostly parts that dont degrade in price too much and already have

psu
case
ram (tripple channel ddr3)
dvd drive

and was planning to get hdd+cpu cooler soon as they are pretty cheap .......but as i was planning i will not have enough money for mobo+cpu (was planning i7920\930+gigabyte urd3 mobo) until at least october-december some time so even if i didnt go for sandy bridge i thought the price of i7 would go down as people shifted to the new socket
July 20, 2010 9:43:34 PM

oh and i wasnt considering bulldozer because there seems to be no information on release date or type of cpu bulldozer will be AMD shoud leak a little info and i might consider it (if it comes out Q4 2010-Q1 2011)
July 20, 2010 9:52:40 PM

I want to wait for 22nm Ivy Bridge! :pt1cable: 
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 11:50:24 PM

I dont see Bulldozer before late Q1 - early Q2 2011.
July 21, 2010 12:17:30 AM

1tym said:
I want to wait for 22nm Ivy Bridge! :pt1cable: 

I'm waiting for 16nm Rockwell! :wahoo: 

Well, not really, although it's very possible that I will, with the budget for new computers in this household. :sarcastic: 
July 25, 2010 1:50:05 PM

just wait untill AMD and intel bring out new ranges, namely the Bulldozer and Sandy bridge... then make a decision. You never know... dont rely on a companys past to make your decision, look at the product!!!
July 25, 2010 4:52:57 PM

BadTrip said:
I dont see Bulldozer before late Q1 - early Q2 2011.

neither do i, but i'm just hoping they release the new socket before then so i can build a new rig now and upgrade late next year
a c 317 à CPUs
July 25, 2010 6:00:07 PM

codnan said:
i have slowly been buying bits mostly parts that dont degrade in price too much and already have

psu
case
ram (tripple channel ddr3)
dvd drive

and was planning to get hdd+cpu cooler soon as they are pretty cheap .......but as i was planning i will not have enough money for mobo+cpu (was planning i7920\930+gigabyte urd3 mobo) until at least october-december some time so even if i didnt go for sandy bridge i thought the price of i7 would go down as people shifted to the new socket

I think sandy bridge will initially be 32nm duo's and quads. Not the high end 4/6/8 ways. They will be in 2011. If you are buying a triple channel ram kit, you will have an extra stick if sandy bridge comes out with 4 slot ram configurations.

Hard drives are cheap enough if you want just storage, and OK to buy now. The real performance part will be the SSD for OS and apps. Hold off on those, since gen 3 SSD's are due out by year end.

Keyboard, mouse, and monitor are good to shop for now.

As to i7-920/930 prices, I don't see them going down much more. They could drop if sandy bridge becomes a gangbusters price performer. But... if that is the case, you won't want anything but a sandy bridge. Right now, a 930 at microcenter for $199 is hard to beat.
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2010 7:13:05 PM

geofelt said:
Right now, a 930 at microcenter for $199 is hard to beat.

I could not agree more.
!