Tags:
  • New Build
  • Motherboards
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2010 7:49:11 PM

Hi, put together a new rig today,
When I hit the power-button nothing happens, no lights or beeps. The PSU doesnt make any noise when I plug it up.
Connected everything according to the motherboards instructions and guides.

However, the motherboard has a 8 pin cpu connector, while my CPU only has a 4 pin connector. I've read that it should work with just a 4 pin (The manual doesnt go into depth with any of this).

Tried everything that the troubleshooting guide says without improvement.

Ace ATX V.2.2/P4 500W (this was included with the case)
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H µATX,Radeon HD4200,AM3
AMD Phenom2 X4 945 3,0Ghz
Corsair 6GB DDR3 1600MHz
XFX PCIe HD5750 512MB XXX

Frustration is kicking in :pfff: 

Any ideas?

Cheers

More about : build start lifeless

a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2010 8:06:18 PM

Actually it could be the missing p4 power. I would regard the PSU that comes with a case with suspicion.

Is the PSU turned to the right power? I mean 120 vs 240V? Sometimes PSU's are delivered with the wrong setting...
Also, do you know how many amps are available on the 12V rail?

If the memory is triple channel, the AMD cpu (and mobo) will only run in dual channel.
May 14, 2010 8:15:30 PM

This happened to me when I built my first system. I was at witt's end trying to figure out WTF! Make sure you install stand-off's EVERYWHERE on the case under the motherboard so that not one part of the mobo is ever close to the case. Most case's have an "A" or a letter in a box signifying where to put the stand-offs. If you don't know what they are, the stand-offs are the little "female" screws that are gold in color. I hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK!
Related resources
May 14, 2010 8:17:48 PM

buzznut said:
Actually it could be the missing p4 power. I would regard the PSU that comes with a case with suspicion.

Is the PSU turned to the right power? I mean 120 vs 240V? Sometimes PSU's are delivered with the wrong setting...
Also, do you know how many amps are available on the 12V rail?

If the memory is triple channel, the AMD cpu (and mobo) will only run in dual channel.

Thats what I'm suspecting as well.

There doesn't seem to be any switch on the PSU

Not sure I'm copying correctly, but I'm trying with only one ddr in without luck.
May 14, 2010 8:22:51 PM

kashtr0_305 said:
This happened to me when I built my first system. I was at witt's end trying to figure out WTF! Make sure you install stand-off's EVERYWHERE on the case under the motherboard so that not one part of the mobo is ever close to the case. Most case's have an "A" or a letter in a box signifying where to put the stand-offs. If you don't know what they are, the stand-offs are the little "female" screws that are gold in color. I hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK!

Yeah standoffs are like they should and motherboard is correctly assambled, thanks anyway.
May 14, 2010 8:57:14 PM

Just make sure u install stand-off's in every hole under the motherboard.
May 15, 2010 2:22:20 PM

I am so frustrated right now,
Went to the local computershop and bought a new PSU and connected everything. Nothing.

Anybody have any clues?
May 15, 2010 2:31:40 PM

What do you mean your cpu has a 4 pin connector.. What exactly are you trying to say?

Just looking at your mobo picture you should use the 20+4 pin main connector. And the 8pin connector near the socket. If your power supply did not come with the 8 then you got the wrong psu.

I can't find any info on the psu's but post up a pic of what kinds of connectors it has. Obviously you should check the voltage setting of 120v240 but other then that even if the 12v rail did not have a high enough amperage your computer should still start.

Which psu did you buy from your local shop, post up a pic of it and the connectors.

And I hate to ask but did you connect the power button on your case?
May 15, 2010 3:05:56 PM

fastx21 said:
What do you mean your cpu has a 4 pin connector.. What exactly are you trying to say?

Just looking at your mobo picture you should use the 20+4 pin main connector. And the 8pin connector near the socket. If your power supply did not come with the 8 then you got the wrong psu.

I can't find any info on the psu's but post up a pic of what kinds of connectors it has. Obviously you should check the voltage setting of 120v240 but other then that even if the 12v rail did not have a high enough amperage your computer should still start.

Which psu did you buy from your local shop, post up a pic of it and the connectors.

And I hate to ask but did you connect the power button on your case?

The mobo has a 6pin 12v power connection and the other psu only had a 4pin. However, this clearly wasnt the solution since the new psu has a 6pin, and it didnt work out.

The power button waaat? Do I have to change anything on the front of the case (where the powerbutton is)?
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2010 3:22:49 PM

The power button has a cable to plug into the motherboard i think thats what Fast was getting at, is it plugged into mobo ok? 6pin connector should be for your graphics card, you should plug the 24/ 20+4 pin into main socket on mobo, only one it can go in tbh, then you should have an eight pin/four plus four/four only connector, thats for the cpu power, if your mobo needs 8 pins you need a psu with an eight pin or 4+4 connector, 4 pin only wont be enough
May 15, 2010 3:31:25 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
The power button has a cable to plug into the motherboard i think thats what Fast was getting at, is it plugged into mobo ok? 6pin connector should be for your graphics card, you should plug the 24/ 20+4 pin into main socket on mobo, only one it can go in tbh, then you should have an eight pin/four plus four/four only connector, thats for the cpu power, if your mobo needs 8 pins you need a psu with an eight pin or 4+4 connector, 4 pin only wont be enough

Yeah the PWR SW cable is connected to the mobo.
Ops sorry, I ment 8 pin, not 6.
Thats right, thats why I bought a new psu with 4+4 pins, but still no luck in getting the system running.

However, I opened up the front of the case and the powerbutton is really weird, there seems to be no "connection" on it, just a button that goes in without hitting anything. (I'll try to upload some pics in a sec)
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 8:23:49 AM

Do you have a spare power switch anywhere? could try swapping it over just to see if you can power up off that one, failing that, I'd remove your existing switch from the panel, (the two little tabs keep it in place) and see if physically pressing the switch works, maybe your powerbutton isnt hitting the switch?
May 16, 2010 3:21:57 PM

I can't see what you're trying to say from the pics but if you had a spare connector (two pins) just connect that to the mobo and short it for a sec to see if comp turns on.

And obviously if you didn't have a spare connector I wouldn't recommend this but try shorting the + and - pins on the mobo very carefully with a small screw driver. That will act as the pushing of the power button.

edit:

Ok I see what you're trying to say with the power button. It's just a plastic (looks like fake chrome) mometary push button that's spring loaded in the housing. I can imagine there's two sides in there and that's what the wires should be connect to. If you want to test if the button itself is good grab a mutlimeter, set it to resistance (ohms) and connect it to the two pins off the power switch. Then see if resistance jumps to infinity to zero when you press the button.

Evidently you can also use the reset button to test your mobo. Switch = switch with a different name on it.
!