Toshiba Satellite Pro 405CS, can't read PCMCIA CD-rom

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 12:16:19 AM

Hello

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 405CS. I want to install window 2000 but
can't do it b/c the laptop
can not read my PCMCIA CD-rom. I have NO operating system at all on the C
drive now. The
BIOS will only boot off a FDD or HDD. I need SPECIFICS on what to do. I
updated my BIOS but
it still only gave me the 2 choices FDD and HDD. Is there a DOS command
(like MSCDEX.exe that
read the IDE CD-rom) that can read my PCMCIA card CD-rom? Thanks for your
Help!

Andy
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 12:16:20 AM

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 1:53:39 AM

As I previously pointed out, he has no chance of supporting Win 2000 on
that machine. The best he can do is Windows 95 or 98, I'd go for 98SE
myself.

Second, he may well not have the necessary drivers. And getting "card
and socket services" installed isn't trivial.

A better way to do this is with a parallel port zip drive.

Connect the Zip drive to another comptuer, and copy the \Win98 folder
from the CD to the Zip drive. If it won't fit, either use 2 Zip disks,
or omit the subfolders "Channels", "Tour" and "Online Services".

Make the laptop bootable to a DOS "C:\>" prompt using a bootable floppy
disk, then use the Iomeaga "Guest" program on a floppy to access a
parallel port zip drive. Copy the \Win98 folder from the Zip disk(s) to
the hard drive. Then disconnect the Zip drive and do the install
entirely from the hard drive (no CD needed).

If he doesn't have a zip drive, they are common enough that he can
probably borrow one. Or, you can buy them on E-Bay for almost nothing
(perhaps $20 or so). Another option, in some ways ever better, you can
buy one gigabyte Syquest "Sparq" drives for almost nothing, sometimes
$5-$10, they are conceptually similar to a zip drive but they hold a
gigabyte. Windows XP drivers for the sparq do exist, also, and can be
obtained on the web. They have a dos-level "guest-type" program, and
you can do the same thing, but without the limitations of the 100
megabyte size of the common zip disks (there are larger zip disks, but
they are not common).

C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

!