svchost.exe problem-No Wireless Zero Config.

Hello,

I got a new ASDL modem due to a service upgrade and installed a wireless
router. It works fine on 2 out of 3 computers. The last one seems to have a
problem with svchost.exe. There is no Wireless Zero Configuration on the
computer which is necessary to configure a wireless connection. That was a
mindblower. Before today I didn't know it existed. I can't reinstall XP
because I have continually updated it online so the disk version is older
that the one on the computer. The Wireless Zero Configurations is part of the
svchost.exe which is active all the time so that knocks out swapping out the
file for a fresh copy. I am running out of answers. Any ideas? Does svchost
run in safe mode?

First off, what brand and model of wireless adapter are you using
on this PC? Have you checked the manufacturer's web site to make
sure you're using the latest drivers for you adapter.

If you did and you're still having problems you might want to
take a look here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20040311.shtml

--
Nepatsfan
"BStowe" <BStowe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I got a new ASDL modem due to a service upgrade and installed a
> wireless
> router. It works fine on 2 out of 3 computers. The last one
> seems to have a
> problem with svchost.exe. There is no Wireless Zero
> Configuration on the
> computer which is necessary to configure a wireless connection.
> That was a
> mindblower. Before today I didn't know it existed. I can't
> reinstall XP
> because I have continually updated it online so the disk
> version is older
> that the one on the computer. The Wireless Zero Configurations
> is part of the
> svchost.exe which is active all the time so that knocks out
> swapping out the
> file for a fresh copy. I am running out of answers. Any ideas?
> Does svchost
> run in safe mode?

Thanks for the reply Netpatsfan. I am using a D-Link DWL-520+ Wireless PCI
Adapter to a D-Link DI-614+ Wireless Router. I actually was tipped off to the
missing Wireless Zero Config. from their support people who tried to help me
configure the computer. The interesting thing is that it working one month
ago perfectly. Since then I needed to get a new modem and router due to our
provider and the old router died. I will try the link and thanks again for
your help!!-BStowe

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> First off, what brand and model of wireless adapter are you using
> on this PC? Have you checked the manufacturer's web site to make
> sure you're using the latest drivers for you adapter.
>
> If you did and you're still having problems you might want to
> take a look here:
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20040311.shtml
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "BStowe" <BStowe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I got a new ASDL modem due to a service upgrade and installed a
> > wireless
> > router. It works fine on 2 out of 3 computers. The last one
> > seems to have a
> > problem with svchost.exe. There is no Wireless Zero
> > Configuration on the
> > computer which is necessary to configure a wireless connection.
> > That was a
> > mindblower. Before today I didn't know it existed. I can't
> > reinstall XP
> > because I have continually updated it online so the disk
> > version is older
> > that the one on the computer. The Wireless Zero Configurations
> > is part of the
> > svchost.exe which is active all the time so that knocks out
> > swapping out the
> > file for a fresh copy. I am running out of answers. Any ideas?
> > Does svchost
> > run in safe mode?

Im guessing your using XP SP2...and you are not using the D-Link utility to
configure your adapter.
Am I correct?

Robert...