Last response: in Memory
January 31, 2011 2:50:41 AM

Im in an upgrade process.

Currently I have (bought)

i7-2600k
GTX-580
Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000
ASRock P67 Extreme4

My mobo has 2+2 slots for RAM, and Id like to have 8GB total so 4x2GB.

BUT i already have 2x2GB (corsair CL9 (cm3x2g1600c9)

I know that i7-2600k capable of only 1333 ram frecv, but I was thinking if it is possible to buy 4 more GB of RAM to have total 8.

What specs etc RAM should i buy?

Thanks.

More about : ram buy system

a b } Memory
January 31, 2011 8:03:43 AM

Get another of that same Corsair kit for a total of 8GB. You'll be able to set the RAM to 1600 in the BIOS.

The one bad thing about Corsair is that they tend to spec their RAM at 1.65v and that's at the very high end of Sandy Bridge compatibility. You may still be able to use the 1.65v modules, but it's not guaranteed. For true compatibility you need 1.5v spec RAM.
January 31, 2011 3:43:28 PM

Using a 2x4Gb set will be the most stable for overclocking and RAM prices are so low right now that you might consider upgrading to a completely new kit. Maybe something like this?: G.SKILL Ripjaws. They are 1600Mhz CAS9 and run at 1.5v, which seems to play nicer with Sandy Bridge. Plus G.SKILL is probably the best name in memory (in my opinion G.SKILL, Mushkin, Corsair are the top three)

If you do want to re-use the Corsairs that you already have, then your choice is simple. You should get an identical 2x2gb kit. Mixing and matching RAM is never recommended.

Also, you're motherboard will support memory speeds up to 2133 Mhz (Source)

Also Also, if you are using a big cooler make sure it has enough clearance for whatever ram you select. It looks like you are using some high end parts there and a lot of the top-end air coolers hang over the RAM slots.

Hope this helps.
Related resources
January 31, 2011 11:05:17 PM

Thank you very much guys. The sandy bridge i7 procs are capable of only 1333 RAMs so even I have have better ones, BIOS my system will me able to use only 1333 of its capacity.

Somebody told me that I'm good to go with my existing 4 GB, is that true? How can I find this out?
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 12:38:50 AM

darkq said:
... sandy bridge i7 procs are capable of only 1333 RAMs so even I have have better ones, BIOS my system will me able to use only 1333 of its capacity.

This statement is WRONG. The memory will initially be set to 1333, but you WILL be able to set it to 1600 in the BIOS. I know this for a fact ... my RAM is running at 1600 right now.

You can only find out for sure by testing your old RAM in the new mainboard.
!