P8P67 Pro + Slow Splash Screen Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicagohawk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Just put together a brand new sandy bridge build with the P8P67 Pro, and I've noticed the windows 7 (x64) splash screen hangs for about 10-15 seconds longer than it did on my old build. I'm running an intel x-25 SSD as my boot drive, and a 7200RPM 500GB WD HDD as storage. Same drives, didn't reformat when switching between builds. No hang indications from any programs in windows.

I was curious if anyone else had this issue or has any suggestions? Both drives are running on the intel 6gb/s connectors and I have my asus dvd burner and the e-sata front panel connector both running on the marvell 6gb/s connectors. Running stock settings for SATA in AHCI mode. Tried IDE as well, but it didn't change anything. BIOS v1204. Tried searching for the solution, but all I found were people having extremely long boot times BEFORE it hits the windows splash screen.

Solution

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

"If you are experiencing long boot up times (greater than 30 seconds) or slow performance of SATA HDD or SSDs, please remove Intel RST 10.1.1008 if you have it installed and use the Intel boxed AHCI driver in Windows 7 or Windows VISTA"
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265477&page=3

chicagohawk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I did find that thread while searching, however, I do not have Intel RST installed, so it cannot be that. Sorry I didn't add it in the OP. Just also tried right now to unplug the e-sata connector and the dvd burner from the marvell 6gb/s connectors and put the dvd burner into a normal intel 3gb/s connector. Also had both the SSD and HDD run off of the 3gb/s connectors a little while ago as well. Didn't think it was the problem anyway, but thought I'd include the info.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Yep i was going to say..try the bottom ports (manual 2-20),navy blue and light blue are for ATA6.0,have my C300 on navy and it's fast :D
ASUS support #(888) 678-3688

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

I tell you there is nothing better like fresh install,good luck

chicagohawk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks for the tip.

I did do a complete reformat and only had my SSD plugged in when I formatted and booted, however, the 10-15 second hang still exists =/.

Looks like I might call asus tech support when I get a chance in a day or two. Anyone else have any suggestions or have experienced this issue?

chicagohawk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
EDIT: nvm, I had 2, but I fixed them. Still have boot issues with the unknown devices now known.

I will try clearing the CMOS and then take a look at those firmware updates. Are you referring to a battery removal or just resetting the defaults?

I am referring to the 'jumper' method.

In addition, I would create a restore point then reinstall ALL Drivers especially the INF/chipset on the ASUS site for your MOBO + OS; the utilities for the most part aren't required especially 'ASUS' utilities. Windows places older drivers by default...

My best 'guess' in your situation is the pause is related to an IRQ conflict or other driver conflict being resolved pre-boot into windows. However, I am not ruling-out anything; you could have a bad MOBO or SSD -- the Drivers seem to be a red flag.

chicagohawk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I will try that. I've already tried the jumper method multiple times, however.

One thing I keep forgetting to note is I have a G15 keyboard and G5 mouse; they light up when they're on. They're on throughout the boot process but when the splash screen hangs...they're on for about the first ten seconds and then turn off for about 3 seconds. After they turn on again, it goes to the welcome screen.

Keep in mind I had the same drivers for these devices before I built this new rig (ssd drive is the same). Im just curious what is happening to cause this and if the hang has to do with all my devices going on/off...its just that the keyboard/mouse are the only ones I can tell.

For now ill try those drivers again. Though im pretty sure when I reformatted and had no drivers installed on the first boot that it still hung. No problem reports are reported in windows from a hang

If you have a different KB/Mouse then try them to see if that's the problem. Many USB KB's are problematic for MOBOs; I've seen a cat chew the USB cables and cause a post failure. I would also pull anything non-essential, and maybe even run Memtest.

There are BIOS settings that can cause delays with certain components; though none come to mind. Fortunately, this seems more like a nuisance than a critical problem.

chicagohawk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Just pulled the keyboard and mouse for the boot and nothing changed. Memtest may be a stretch, still, I will try running it when I get the chance. I also reinstalled the ASUS drivers including the intel chipset update with no avail.

I did, however, enable boot logging and took a look at the file. 5 drivers did not load:

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys

Is it possible these may be causing the hang? If so, I may have to do some deeper digging to find out what they are, however at the moment I've got to run. Possible solutions?

This can be indicative of a lot of things. Can be caused by the NIC drivers; try Device Manager, expand [+] Network Adapters, right-click Delete all entires and restart. Heck I've seen the AHCI cause the same problem, bad GPU drivers, etc; what BIOS changes have you made? Always, make certain that you install 32-bit drivers with 32-bit OS; same with 64-bit/64-bit drivers.

Next step; run MSCONFIG -> Diagnostic Mode & restart. Q - Does that correct the problem?

chicagohawk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Well I ruled out a few more things with that. Deleting the network adapter entries did not work and I also have all 64 bit drivers for my 64 bit system. BIOS changes shouldn't have any affect, as stock settings had the same end result as my modified ones, which are just settings for my OC profile. I did try turning off SMART check for my drives and tried both AHCI and IDE mode.

Diagnostic Mode did not correct the problem. Wouldn't that indicate it's not a driver issue?

My next step is to update the firmware. No where in Intel's instructions does it say I need to reformat, why did you think I would probably have to? I'll get back with new firmware results.

EDIT: Firmware update helped a bit! Boot time from when it posts now is 30 seconds. I believe my boot time with my old setup was around 20 seconds or maybe a little less...but at that point it's more of a far-stretched nuisance than anything else. The additional hang may just be caused by a BIOS timeout after all that I can't seem to fix. Your thoughts? I don't feel I should waste anyone's time with trying to improve it further, honestly.

I was trying to find an old post where I helped someone who updated their BIOS and had a similar issue; there was 1 frigging BIOS setting that 'fixed' their problem - the new BIOS changed a Default value which caused the problem. {when/if I find it - I'll post it here; it may do zip to help}

The reason for the reformatting is 'often' vs 'always' the flash corrupts the SSD/HDD, and the full reformatting is a precaution.

Yes, I agree if you're running without 'errors' this is purely a nuisance.

--

In changing IDE->AHCI->IDE->etc a registry corruption can occur {check these entries} -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
@OP this thing is all over the forums "long post/boot time" i think it's due to new BIOS (uEFI architecture)the only thing i would suggest is to disable logo screen and all the controllers that you don't use in bios,hope new BIOS will improve

drneb

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Glad it's not just me! I've got the same motherboard with a kingston SSD. the splash screen is pretty darn slow. Its currently in the marvell controller, so i'll try that tonight.

If anyone finds a solution please post!

chicagohawk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I never did end up finding a solution to this issue. I am still experiencing about a 10 second longer boot on my p67 board compared to any other board I've owned. I also received the B3 revision for the p8p67 and nothing changed.

RoboTree

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I've also been wondering about the boot time with this board, I just put together a new build with a P8P67 pro too, an i72600K and 2 HDD's in RAID 0 (still holding off spending the $$ on a SSD), and it takes about 22 secs just to start loading windows... 45ish 'til i get to the windows login screen. I'm thinking maybe this motherboard is just a bit slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.