Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help! which brand should i go for an ATi HD4870 GPU?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • ATI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2010 7:26:09 AM

Need help! which brand should i go for an ATi HD4870 GPU?

The available choices for me are:

Palit HD4870 1GB Dual Sonic Edition

Sapphire HD4870 1GB Vapor - X

ASUS EAH4870 DK 512mb

All of them are nearly in same price range here in Philippines.

I'm looking for Performance, Overclocking features, Durability, and Lower temperatures. I don't care if it is very noisy.

Also, i have a 500watt powerlogic generic PSU. Planning on dual psu configuration because i have another 400w generic psu. Now the thing is i am on very tight budget so true rated PSU's like corsair or hec are not on my reachso i am thinking if it is ok to power my mobo, hdd, dvd rom, and graphics card separately?

I am thinking of using my 400W generic psu to power my mobo, 2x80GB HDD's, and a DVD Drive and the 500W generic PSU to power HD4870 graphics card(alone).

Is the power of the Generic PSU (500W) enough to power the card ALONE?

I need your suggestions and comments guys. Any help would be appreciated so please feel free to comment or suggest.

Please help guys!!! Thanks!!

More about : brand ati hd4870 gpu

April 14, 2010 2:26:58 PM

Sapphire and Asus are OK. Never tried Palit.
As of your PSU, my suggestion is to up-grade it first and avoid this bizarre dual psu system:
1 - how do you plan to make the two psus work together? How do you plan to get them turned on at the same time? Chances are high that you are going to burn something on your system.
2 - sometimes power level is not the issue. 500W is more than enough for any single card, but the quality of the power (ripple, fluctuaions etc.) could burn your gpu.
m
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
April 14, 2010 2:38:26 PM

I would try and sell both of your PSU's and then buy a quality PSU.

You can connect 2 PSU's together and then one PSU to your mobo, but you have to buy a cable for that and I cant remember the name of it. Plus you have to have enough space inside your case, I'm assuming those generic PSU's are not modular and so your case will be packed with cables and will hinder air flow.

AS for your question about HD4870 brands, I would go for the sapphire or asus because they have a longer warranty than palit. Although I've owned a Palit HD4870 sonic dual edition and it is a good card, runs cool and is very quiet, but only offers a 1 year warranty.

HD4870's don't overclock that well, I managed just 40Mhz increase (From 750 to 790Mhz) on the core.
m
l
Related resources
April 15, 2010 7:31:03 AM

Rustyy117 said:
I would try and sell both of your PSU's and then buy a quality PSU.

You can connect 2 PSU's together and then one PSU to your mobo, but you have to buy a cable for that and I cant remember the name of it. Plus you have to have enough space inside your case, I'm assuming those generic PSU's are not modular and so your case will be packed with cables and will hinder air flow.

AS for your question about HD4870 brands, I would go for the sapphire or asus because they have a longer warranty than palit. Although I've owned a Palit HD4870 sonic dual edition and it is a good card, runs cool and is very quiet, but only offers a 1 year warranty.

HD4870's don't overclock that well, I managed just 40Mhz increase (From 750 to 790Mhz) on the core.

But i heard that palit dual sonics are factory overclocked? they say that it increases its clocks from 750/3600 to 770/4000 when switched to turbo mode..

Is this correct and do you find it beneficial to your game framerates?

hehehe please help guys, performance really matters to me...Thanks!!!!
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 9:43:48 AM

If u want performance then do as omgitzfatal said, sell your PSUs and buy a quality one. About GPU, i would choose Sapphire with their Vapor-X, your card will much cool with that cooler... :) 
m
l

Best solution

a c 126 U Graphics card
April 15, 2010 10:07:34 AM

jomar12 said:
But i heard that palit dual sonics are factory overclocked? they say that it increases its clocks from 750/3600 to 770/4000 when switched to turbo mode..

Is this correct and do you find it beneficial to your game framerates?

hehehe please help guys, performance really matters to me...Thanks!!!!

Yeah thats correct, but its not a large increase in clock speed, so the benefits are small.

You can always overclock yourself, its really easy and would only take a moment.
April 17, 2010 5:30:44 AM

Best answer selected by jomar12.
m
l
!