Sign in with
Your question

BSOD using OCZ GOLD 3 x 2GB DDR3 in Core I7 . HELP!!!

Last response: in Memory
January 31, 2011 5:51:57 AM

This has been a year long problem!

I have the Gateway FX 6800-01 and for about a year now I have been running 3 gigs in my system since my 3 sticks of OCZ Golds have just been sitting there.

The Problem:
Whenever I put in the 3 sticks which are 2 gigs a piece I get the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)

What I have tried already:
- Updated the BIOS with a modded version so that all setting are unlocked ( there is still no setting to change the memory voltage from 1.5 to 1.65 which is what the memory requires)
- I have tried running setFSB to see if altering the clock of the cpu and fsb with change anything. I can change the frequency of the memory but not the voltage.
- I have tried using just one stick at a time to see if one of them are bad and then blue screens out. Each individual blue screens out on me.

System information:

Gateway FX 6800-01 (Intel I7 920 X58)
Model: TBGM01
BIOS: r01-B0
Memory currently at 533.3 Mhz | 8-8-8-19 1.5 volts

Ram trying to put in:
3 x 2GB OCZ Gold PC3 10666 9-9-9 @ 1.65
Model: OCZ3G1333V6GK

What I think is going on:
We all know Gateway likes to lock you out of being able to do anything so they can do it and make money off you even after the money they made off you, hence the bios being just about useless for any kind of changing setting to your cpu or memory timings or voltage.
As you saw, I already tried a bios mod Gateway FX6800 R01-B0 Unlocked By 1234s282(2) and even though I was able to adjust the dimm timings and try to force 1333 it still did not allow me to adjust my memory voltage.
I have tried the bios update from Gateway and still blue screen.

When the blue screen happens, it only happens when the ram is being worked a little bit. It will load windows and seem as if everything is fine then randomly you go to run a program and bam, blue screen. My last resort is to just buy a new mother board if I can't get this POS to finally work with my ram.

Please help me, I'm so completely sick of seeing this ram just sitting there doing nothing.
January 31, 2011 6:06:23 AM

Any suggestions at all???
m
l
a b } Memory
January 31, 2011 7:07:44 AM

idemnow said:
Any suggestions at all???
I can't remember the last time I actually saw a decent set of OCZ Gold. The Gold series has a history so sordid that I credit it for driving OCZ out of the memory business.

First, you need to know what SPD is. "Serial Presense Detect" is a program flashed onto a chip on your RAM, that list the "boot" values for that RAM. Regardless of the "overclocked" settings your RAM might be rated at, SPD should always work. That is to say, if your memory had been rated at 1600 CAS 7 but booted at 1066 CAS 9, it would be because SPD told your motherboard "this is what speeds to use". The higher rating requires manual adjustment (overclocking).

So, SPD is always supposed to be stable, but OCZ Gold has a history of being programed wrong. Add to that a history of a high number of defects (around 1/3 of my OCZ Gold modules were also defective), and you see that even attempting to use the stuff is foolish regardless of your motherboard.

I once asked a motherboard engineer why his boards had 1.56-1.60V default, rather than 1.50V, and he said "OCZ Gold". People used to blame their motherboards when OCZ Gold didn't work, but they're starting to wise up.

I wouldn't put it in any system. I wouldn't give it to a friend. I wouldn't even decorate my wall with it. I suggest taking a hammer and smashing it as thin as possible, or perhaps seeing what a train can do to it.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
January 31, 2011 7:31:12 AM

:lol:  True that. And suavely said I might add. [:badge:3]
m
l
a b } Memory
January 31, 2011 5:08:55 PM

I agree with Crashman. OCZ has dropped alot in quality that is why they are leaving the RAM business. If you REALLY want to get that RAM working, you will need a new motherboard. I dont know if that case will take an ATX motherboard and if the PSU connectors for the motherboard will fit in your new one. Honestly I would say sell the RAM. That way you cut your losses.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
January 31, 2011 5:36:08 PM

idemnow said:
System information:

Gateway FX 6800-01 (Intel I7 920 X58)
Model: TBGM01
BIOS: r01-B0
Memory currently at 533.3 Mhz | 8-8-8-19 1.5 volts

Ram trying to put in:
3 x 2GB OCZ Gold PC3 10666 9-9-9 @ 1.65
Model: OCZ3G1333V6GK

Duh, if you're trying to Mix-Match these together then don't, I'm unclear if you are or not?!

Instead just install the OCZ by themselves; see below. Yes, with the OCZ only assuming you meant OCZ3G1333LV6GK then set the DRAM Voltage to 1.65~1.68v if it fails.

Yes, I am not an OCZ fan nor am I a Patriot fan either: Corsair, G.SKILL, Mushkin, & Kingston -- Crucial for budget RAM on the X58.

edit {oops Installation}:
m
l
a b } Memory
January 31, 2011 6:42:13 PM

Snipergod87 said:
I agree with Crashman. OCZ has dropped alot in quality that is why they are leaving the RAM business. If you REALLY want to get that RAM working, you will need a new motherboard. I dont know if that case will take an ATX motherboard and if the PSU connectors for the motherboard will fit in your new one. Honestly I would say sell the RAM. That way you cut your losses.
Dropped? OCZ was the company that rebranded my PC-800 RDRAM as PC-1066, with the resulting high temperatures causing errors that only a memory fan could fix. This was before memory fans by the way, so recent doesn't even begin to describe what's been going on with them.

This is a company that started out by selling ordinary parts at overclocked settings, then ADDED the quality stuff later. The trash line they were selling all along became "Gold" series memory, and it continued to hurt the brand's reputation. So last year they announced they would drop it.

But that wasn't enough. Gold memory hurt the company's reputation enough that it couldn't sustain premium prices for the "good" stuff. So, around CES they announced they'd drop memory entirely.

This is probably the fastest way for them to fix their reputation, as nearly everything else they sell is mid-quality or better. Their Z1000M power supply for example is superb, I've used it for testing just about any hardware combo I could come up with (including 4-way SLI) and have pushed it past 1200W without hearing a scream.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
January 31, 2011 7:01:54 PM

^What's your thoughts on the OCZ RevoDrive or OCZ SSD? I never liked their RAM,and I feel about the same with Patriot.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 31, 2011 7:31:09 PM

jaquith said:
^What's your thoughts on the OCZ RevoDrive or OCZ SSD? I never liked their RAM,and I feel about the same with Patriot.
I like all of their current storage products :)  I even liked their recent RAM, with the exception of the Gold series.
m
l
February 1, 2011 12:05:35 PM

That's my biggest problem, my motherboard won't allow me to change the voltage to my ram from the BIOS, is there any other way to change the voltage to the ram?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
February 1, 2011 1:06:24 PM

Nope, you'll need different RAM i.e. 1.5v, and don't mix-match. If you are 'adding' RAM then get the SAME RAM Speed, CAS and Voltage the Size can be different, but the best outcome is if you have Brand X get more Brand X in a matched set.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 7:08:19 PM

idemnow said:
That's my biggest problem, my motherboard won't allow me to change the voltage to my ram from the BIOS, is there any other way to change the voltage to the ram?
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying: ALL non-defective RAM will run at 1.50V using SPD values. That is, boot values. IF your RAM is not stable at 1.50V using DEFAULT values, it is DEFECTIVE.
m
l
February 1, 2011 8:30:07 PM

Crashman said:
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying: ALL non-defective RAM will run at 1.50V using SPD values. That is, boot values. IF your RAM is not stable at 1.50V using DEFAULT values, it is DEFECTIVE.

Well crp, all this time that i have been getting blue screens with that ram, and the ram was actually just bad ram.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
February 1, 2011 8:53:39 PM

Crashman and I often disagree on what is 'right' and what JEDEC standards apply. I have Dominator GT's and I too would get BSOD's all day running them rated at 1.5v or even sometimes @ XMP. But my RAM is fine @ 1.65+v.

I have a more BIN sort - matching, quality, rated approach whereas Crashman has a utilitarian JEDEC rules point of view. Throw anything together and it should work @ JEDEC SPD.

Have you tried the OCZ Gold in the 2nd, 4th, and 6th slots by themselves?

The only 'good' way to determine if RAM is good or bad is to run 2 passes of Memtest with {Load Defaults} in the BIOS {ISO/zip} create a bootable CD/DVD - http://www.memtest.org/

Both of us agree that the OCZ Gold is not a good choice.

If your current RAM is actually 1066 - http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=FX680... deselect 'high speed', but I would use CPUz to identify the current RAM -> http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html SPD tab.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 9:02:34 PM

idemnow said:
Well crp, all this time that i have been getting blue screens with that ram, and the ram was actually just bad ram.
Yes, the first half of the problem is that OCZ Gold isn't programmed properly. That's fairly universal for OCZ Gold, so getting an RMA from OCZ probably won't help. That's why I suggested junking it.

The second problem with OCZ gold is a high failure rate. But, you'll never know if it has bad chips unless you put it in a motherboard that has the rated settings.

Now you have two issues: First, that it's not programed "right" for its SPD (auto-detect) settings and second, that you have no way to test it to find out if it even works at its rated settings. Getting a new motherboard would allow you to figure out the second issue, but that's just a "work-around" for the first issue.

If you're not afraid the buyer will return it, you can try selling it on eBay. You should of course get 1.50V RAM, but my first point is that any RAM is SUPPOSED to run at 1.50V using SPD (auto-detect) settings.

That is to say, the REASON so many people cry that "My (overclocking) motherboard is stupid because it detects my DDR3-1600 at DDR3-1333" is because the memory they have really is DDR3-1333 with an overclock rating. SPD tells the boards that "this memory will work right at DDR3-1333" and going beyond that requires user intervention (overclocking to the memory brand's rated specs). When SPD settings don't work, it's because the memory has been programmed improperly which is a manufacturing defect.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 9:08:35 PM

jaquith said:
Crashman and I often disagree on what is 'right' and what JEDEC standards apply. I have Dominator GT's and I too would get BSOD's all day running them rated at 1.5v or even sometimes @ XMP. But my RAM is fine @ 1.65+v.

I have a more BIN sort - matching, quality, rated approach whereas Crashman has a utilitarian JEDEC rules point of view. Throw anything together and it should work @ JEDEC SPD.

Have you tried the OCZ Gold in the 2nd, 4th, and 6th slots by themselves?

The only 'good' way to determine if RAM is good or bad is to run 2 passes of Memtest with {Load Defaults} in the BIOS {ISO/zip} create a bootable CD/DVD - http://www.memtest.org/

Both of us agree that the OCZ Gold is not a good choice.

If your current RAM is actually 1066 - http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=FX680... deselect 'high speed', but I would use CPUz to identify the current RAM -> http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html SPD tab.

Well now there's a reason for SPD, and there's a reason why so many people are crying "my motherboard is stupid" because it set their DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1866 at DDR3-1066 or DDR3-1333. The fact is that SPD should ALWAYS work right, and if you disagree with that you're throwing opinions against the wall of fact. SPD is there for that specific reason.

As for JEDEC approved timings vs those of enthusiast products, I'll let just about anything slide so long as it works :) 
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
February 1, 2011 9:41:45 PM

Depends on what SPD, XMP-1600 is a 'SPD' and I cannot recall one set ever, that I built, with 1.5v -- they're all 1.6v; yeah I realize it's an Intel standard and yeah this is an X58 Intel MOBO. And there's been a half dozen revisions since JESD79-3E and more if you're looking at the JESD79-3D.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 1, 2011 10:36:47 PM

jaquith said:
Depends on what SPD, XMP-1600 is a 'SPD' and I cannot recall one set ever, that I built, with 1.5v -- they're all 1.6v; yeah I realize it's an Intel standard and yeah this is an X58 Intel MOBO. And there's been a half dozen revisions since JESD79-3E and more if you're looking at the JESD79-3D.
I'm setting aside any discussion of XMP and custom settings and focusing on SPD for the purposes of his problem. 1066 CAS 7 and 1066 CAS 9 are both valid as I recall for JEDEC, but get this: You have a set of memory that is SPD programed at 1066 CAS 7 and unstable:: It would have been stable at 1066 CAS 9::: It should have been SPD programed at 1066 CAS 9, because THAT'S THE PURPOSE OF SPD.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
February 1, 2011 11:05:32 PM

Then I'm not aware of any DDR3 JEDEC 1066 MHz with CAS 9. Also, this precludes any 'mixing' of standards 1066 E~G. I'm 'assuming' on a physics level of nodal interference or whatever sinewave interference it's actually called when mixing the same speed but with different IC's and/or worst CAS disparity. {My physics is limited} Nowhere have I seen the OP trying only the 'crappy' as it were OCZ RAM by itself.

Standards JEDEC 1066 MHz @ 1.5v
DDR3-1066E ---> 6-6-6
DDR3-1066F ---> 7-7-7
DDR3-1066G ---> 8-8-8
m
l
a b } Memory
February 2, 2011 12:45:24 AM

jaquith said:
Then I'm not aware of any DDR3 JEDEC 1066 MHz with CAS 9. Also, this precludes any 'mixing' of standards 1066 E~G. I'm 'assuming' on a physics level of nodal interference or whatever sinewave interference it's actually called when mixing the same speed but with different IC's and/or worst CAS disparity. {My physics is limited} Nowhere have I seen the OP trying only the 'crappy' as it were OCZ RAM by itself.

Standards JEDEC 1066 MHz @ 1.5v
DDR3-1066E ---> 6-6-6
DDR3-1066F ---> 7-7-7
DDR3-1066G ---> 8-8-8

I believe my last Gold defaulted to 1066 7-7-7-18 and that it was actually the TRAS that screwed it up. 8-8-8-24 would have worked.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
February 2, 2011 12:18:58 PM

BTW - on my Servers & Workstations {ECC} I do have a utilitarian approach, just not on 'PCs'.
m
l
!