Sign in with
Your question

SSD + What HD

Last response: in Storage
June 28, 2012 6:52:48 PM

I'm going to be building a gaming rig sometime next month and I need help deciding what to do for storage. Right now my list has an OCZ Vertex 4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) and a regular WD Caviar Black 1TB. Honestly, there's so many reviews on the mechanical drive failing after a few months to one year. Would it better just to get 2 SSD drives?

More about : ssd

a b G Storage
June 28, 2012 7:02:03 PM

An SSD will be more expensive and smaller than a HDD. If you can afford it, it would of course be better to purchase only SSD because they are faster.

However, SSDs are not significantly more reliable than SSDs. Among SSDs, the OCZ does not make reliable drives. If you want reliability then get a Samsung Drive.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 28, 2012 7:08:41 PM

Arx0s said:
I'm going to be building a gaming rig sometime next month and I need help deciding what to do for storage. Right now my list has an OCZ Vertex 4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) and a regular WD Caviar Black 1TB. Honestly, there's so many reviews on the mechanical drive failing after a few months to one year. Would it better just to get 2 SSD drives?

if a platter is going to fail it will be within the first few months, after that they last "forever". out of the dozens of HDs i have had; there has been one 250 Gb WD blue that has a flonky controller. i can use it but once it get past 50% usage it starts to get errors. i keep in my drawer for an "emergency" storage option.
platters are still more reliable than SSDs; once you write to it, its not going away.
m
l
Related resources
a c 132 G Storage
June 28, 2012 7:14:30 PM

i been a tech in the pc biz a few years...i can tell you that the qa of hard drive have gone down a lot in the last few years.
a few years ago there were brands of drives that when you bought them would outlast the pc...there are always some brands and models to not pick. right now the wd black line has less issue then the segate lines. will have to see how the new lines from wd and seagate fair in a few months.
m
l
June 28, 2012 7:18:14 PM

I have been using IntelĀ® SSDs matched up with Western Digital Caviar Black drives for couple years now. I used to have a Intel SSD 320 80GB but just changed it out for a newer IntelĀ® SSD 520 120GB and never have had a single issue with any of my set ups.
m
l
!