Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Any interest in older hardware?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 5:24:56 AM

Hi I run a Dell Precision 450 with dual 3.2 Xeon,OC'd XFX 256 7600gs agp,2gb ram,creative audigy ex platinum,two 7200rpm ide hd's and a 36gb u320 cheatah 15k drive. My system scores close to 10k on 3dmark03 which is equal to lower core2duo's and coreduo extremes. I put mystem together for about 300 dollars and can play Crysis Warhead on minimum/mainstream settings and fallout 3, left 4 dead2 and Far Cry2 on mid to high. My point is why do so many on this board think that unless you have at least a I3 with a gtx260 and 8gb of ram that your system is a paperweight? There are alot of nice people hare but alot are also "computer elitists snobs".
Not everybody has a few thousand to blow on a system and want a place to talk older hardware and all the "experts" dismiss them.
Look at the board for the Intel Atom vs P4 and see the people who are putting old hardware to good use. I am not really a gamer so much as i encode alot of video and I am able to run 4 threads with 4 "logical" processors and can encode a 700mb avi and burn to disk in about an hour and browse online and listen to music at same time. I respect people who build high end systems and I dream about a dual quad core Xeon system with 16gb of ram but with a mortgage and a daughter in private school etc it ain't gonna happen. So please stop hating on us trying to do the best with what we can afford
a c 131 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 5:46:31 AM

^LOL
Took me a couple of reads with the very compressed sentences but that last comment is ironically funny after I understand the post.

I have seen this in the forums, people saying people's systems aren't good enough unless "you have at least a I3 with a gtx260 and 8gb of ram". But I don't see it as a major issue/ getting out of control.

Actually though, I was recently told that I should upgrade to a 6 core and a DX11 card from my Athlon IIx4 and radeon 3870. But I'm fine for now. Everyone is on a different level of money and performance wants.

May I ask what gives you this impression though? I browsed through your posted threads and no one seems to have indicated this "unless you have a core i3 with 260 you aren't good enough" idea.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 8:51:22 AM

I get insulted alot about my rig but I know there's one benchmark they can't beat me in.

Power consumption.

I take pride in that.

Right now the bottleneck is how fast I can draw, not the processor :p . I'm so looking forward to 22nm :) .
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 10:41:08 AM

It really comes down to what you are doing. I'm still running a Pentium E2200 myself, and it's plenty for my uses. Then again, all I do is Open Office and play mp3's.
Score
July 20, 2010 11:07:16 AM

you don't even need anything like that for OO and MP3's.
How about a 700 Mhz pentium, and 256 meg RAM.
Plenty of people are using that; It's not running windoze though, Puppy is excelent for that sort of thing.
Stuff like this is being thrown away.
JB
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 11:55:50 AM

Trust me, I used to fix up P3 systems. Just saying that not everyone needs the newest hardware.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 12:10:29 PM

I don't think people here talk trash about older systems - it's just that they aren't "new" and hence newsworthy. Personally I still have a Pentium 166 system that my kid uses to play "Catz", "Babyz", and other ancient games..
Score
a c 99 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 12:50:15 PM

king smp said:
Hi I run a Dell Precision 450 with dual 3.2 Xeon,OC'd XFX 256 7600gs agp,2gb ram,creative audigy ex platinum,two 7200rpm ide hd's and a 36gb u320 cheatah 15k drive. My system scores close to 10k on 3dmark03 which is equal to lower core2duo's and coreduo extremes. I put mystem together for about 300 dollars and can play Crysis Warhead on minimum/mainstream settings and fallout 3, left 4 dead2 and Far Cry2 on mid to high. My point is why do so many on this board think that unless you have at least a I3 with a gtx260 and 8gb of ram that your system is a paperweight? There are alot of nice people hare but alot are also "computer elitists snobs".
Not everybody has a few thousand to blow on a system and want a place to talk older hardware and all the "experts" dismiss them.
Look at the board for the Intel Atom vs P4 and see the people who are putting old hardware to good use. I am not really a gamer so much as i encode alot of video and I am able to run 4 threads with 4 "logical" processors and can encode a 700mb avi and burn to disk in about an hour and browse online and listen to music at same time. I respect people who build high end systems and I dream about a dual quad core Xeon system with 16gb of ram but with a mortgage and a daughter in private school etc it ain't gonna happen. So please stop hating on us trying to do the best with what we can afford

I have a roughly similar system as a file server, it has dual 3.2 GHz Xeon Gallatins (w/2 MB L3) 1 GB of RAM, an LSI SAS1064 PCI-X 133 MHz 3 Gbps SAS/SATA controller, and a 1 TB Seagate HDD. It works very well as a file server, but it is considerably slower than modern hardware and I only paid something like $100 for it in total. A lower-end new setup would be considerably faster, quieter, and cooler but cost little more than your unit. A sub-$100 Athlon II X4 with a 785G motherboard, 4 GB DDR3-1333, and a Radeon HD 4650 will cost about that same $300 but encode video somewhere around 2-3 times as fast as the two Xeons, perform better in games, and not sound like a hair dryer. It also has native SATA ports, so you don't need to buy a controller to use HDDs larger than a few hundred GB in size. The one advantage your Xeon has is better reliability due to ECC RAM and a workstation-grade motherboard.

amdfangirl said:
I get insulted alot about my rig but I know there's one benchmark they can't beat me in.

Power consumption.

I take pride in that.

I'll guarantee you my previous C2D U7500 laptop with a broken screen that I run connected to an external monitor for assisting with video encoding has your Sempron system beat by a significant margin in power consumption. Its idle power is about 6-7 watts and it needs only about 20 watts at full CPU and disk load. Your Sempron probably takes at least 30 watts just for idle.
Score
a c 99 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 12:56:21 PM

pastit said:
you don't even need anything like that for OO and MP3's.
How about a 700 Mhz pentium, and 256 meg RAM.
Plenty of people are using that; It's not running windoze though, Puppy is excelent for that sort of thing.
Stuff like this is being thrown away.
JB

I'd probably say to double the CPU speed and amount of RAM and that's about the minimum machine you'd want for running OpenOffice and playing back MP3s using a modern music playing program like Amarok. Modern versions of OpenOffice are a bit constrained on sub-GHz systems with 256 MB of RAM as my recent experiments with old PIII systems have shown, particularly if you work with a decent-sized spreadsheet or slideshow. You'd really want that 512 MB of RAM if you have both OOo and an audio player open at the same time.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 1:19:54 PM

I surf on a Toshy A100 1.4Ghz Pentium M ... this little beast runs 4hrs on the souped up battery pack I made and is possibly the nicest little lappy ever made. 2Gb of RAM in it an a new HDD and it is like new.

You can stick your i3 and i5's thanks ... anyone with a brain who buys one sticks a decent graphics card in and effectively switches off half the logic under the hood ... which you payed for by the way ... and don't use.

Intel wins either way ...

Unfortunately you can't use that graphics core you bought for anything useful either?

Fusion won't have the same wasted logic ... I'd assume ... maybe?

MU ?
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 1:35:30 PM

As much as I love my phenom965, I do love the old machines...

I take them when people throw them away and rebuild them to be reliable...

Usually I sell the P4/AthlonXP/64 for 60$ to 180$ depending on ram, hd space, dvdrw...
the Dual cores for 180 to 350$

In fact, right now I have a Core2 6300 and an AthlonX2 5200, both with 2gigs of ram, new psu's for both, the core2 has a new mobo too, some low end radeon3450 or 4350 with hdmi out... going for 300can négociable.

P3's I give for 20$ and usually that's me being bored. (Tiny desktop P3's make for the best routers you can imagin)

Anything with a grand minimum of 512MB ram will run perfectly for basic computer tasks... 768 to 1gig ram + some old geeforce and it's a fair machine.

Again, I have not seen many people here act like snobs saying it's crap...

A PC is a Tool, and one must get his PC fit for his specific needs and budget...
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 1:39:42 PM

MU_Engineer said:

I'll guarantee you my previous C2D U7500 laptop with a broken screen that I run connected to an external monitor for assisting with video encoding has your Sempron system beat by a significant margin in power consumption. Its idle power is about 6-7 watts and it needs only about 20 watts at full CPU and disk load. Your Sempron probably takes at least 30 watts just for idle.

1. Sempron (45nm) is undervolted to 0.8v, underclocked to 2.2Ghz

2. 740G chipset, integrated graphics underclocked and undervolted

3. Undervolted RAM

4. Laptop HD.

It matches if not beats the U7500, I'm sure.

Besides, I wonder which was cheaper :p 
Score
a c 131 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 3:16:13 PM

amdfangirl said:
It matches if not beats the U7500, I'm sure.

Besides, I wonder which was cheaper :p 

Do you have a wattmeter and remember how much you paid? I'd love to see this battle. :D 
Score
a c 99 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 3:35:16 PM

amdfangirl said:
I hate having my ego hurt.

I think I'll cry.

Thanks man.

If it makes you feel any better, my file server and desktop each draw about 300-350 watts at the outlet at full load. If you really want to feel better, my upcoming G34-based workstation build that's still mostly in the planning stage will probably use about 5-7 times the power of your Sempron system at idle and around ten times as much at full load. However, it's performance per watt should be as good or better than your Sempron.

In case you're wondering what my massive build will be, it's going to be G34 Opterons on a 4P board. I've pored over a lot of the roadmaps and benchmarks and have decided that's the best way to go. All of my heavy applications are highly multithreaded and scale well to a ton of cores but don't cluster very well, such as compiling and video editing/encoding. LGA1366 is not only a dead-end, it's can't beat G34 units for either overall performance or performance per dollar in multithreaded Linux applications, nor is it nearly as expandable. Sandy Bridge units may be more competitive, but they're not due until fall of 2011 and I'll build this in the spring with either Magny-Cours units or Interlagos units, depending on what's out for what price at the time. I'm still working out a lot of the details as this is a very involved build with a lot of issues to be sorted out, such as how exactly to implement the cooling without being obscenely noisy and the correct balance of CPUs, RAM, and HDDs to fit my budget and performance requirements. I did manage to get the most difficult to find part already, which is a tower case that can comfortably fit a 16x13 4P board, and it is currently housing my dual Xeon file server. I plan on getting started in the spring as that's the next time I have enough time to do this build- I have a screwy schedule here for the next several months, then a bunch of interviews, followed by having to move in March/April. Once I get done moving I'll get started on this monstrosity of a build.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 4:44:00 PM

I did not mean to double thread I was tired and first time usin TH system for posting.
So I did not know this thread was kicking.
I didn't mean to insult the TH community as a whole but somewhere on the Intel atom vs P4 the comment that th P4 was "pathetic" and other stuff said bugged me.
Too many noobies think that they have to have the latest in hardware for a system to be viable.
I know if I spent the 300 all at one time I could have built a better system but this money for this system was spent over a period of nearly two years.
I spoil the heck out of my 9 year old stepdaughter who is the best ( her laptop is a dell vostro 1000 with 1gb ram, athlon64 x2 tk-55,dvdrw,ati ll50 express graphics)and the computer budget is minimal so I scrape together a few bucks here and there.
I just bought a Netgear wg624t v4 super g 108mbps router for 5 bucks on Craigslist and works great with my WG311t super g pci in my fiance's computer.
SO for 5 bucks i doubled from 54mbs to 108mbps.
How is that for bang for buck?
Now if I can only find 2 x 1gb pc2100 2.5 desktop and 2 x 1gb pc24200 laptop for cheap I will be happy.
If you got the money to spend on a Sick Rig then more power to you.
Just don't look down your nose and dismiss older stuff.
And have been around the board reading posts (mostly Dell forum) here and just quickly looking at them the people are told don't bother upgrading your P4 it is too old to be worth it.
I bought my xfx7600gs 256mb agp brand new in box off of CraigsLIst for 35 bucks.
The difference it made was worth it.
I can play Crysis Warhead on minimum/mainstream smooth.
Alot of people newer to the game think that these older machines are useless.
I am happy to buy their parts at a yardsale.
Score
a c 131 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 5:51:22 PM

^ well stated.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 6:40:34 PM

BTW the Enzo your choice of GPU is sweet. Two of those sli'd still rocks.
Bang for Buck that is a sweet vid card.
Not to kiss your butt but nice system.
High end little older gear is better than cheap new gear usually.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 7:20:01 PM

Just read rules of forum.
I am new to forums even though I've been doing this awhile (never been very social on web).
Will avoid big blocks of text.
WIll try to remember 4th grade and using paragraphs LOL.
Sorry.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 8:23:35 PM

cisco sfp said:
Are you ready to sell your system or you deal with all kinds of older hardware?

http://www.opticfit.com/

I am not sure what you are asking.
I am not selling the Dell 450 though I have a IBM Intellistation Z PRo with dual 3.06 I am refurbing to sell for about 250or so on craigslist.

2 x 3.06/533fsb/512kb L2,512mb ecc ram,sapphire 9600xt 256mb AGP active cooling,cdrw,two u160 scsi cheetah 10k 36b raid 0 boot drive,425w PSU
coa'd xp pro

make a decent computer for your average user.
Might bump up ram if i like the buyer.

I think that is a fair price point for NJ CL section.

Score
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2010 3:58:51 AM

Best answer selected by King SMP.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2012 2:48:36 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!