Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Retro hardware?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 5:30:54 AM

Is there a retro hardware board here or at some other website? I feel like if I dont have at least a I3 than don't bother to post. IF there is than I apologise.
Respectfully King Smp

More about : retro hardware

a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 6:41:37 AM

There isn't but... you're free to discuss old hardware here. You'd be surprised by the amount of people who have retro builds themselves. ;) 
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 7:19:00 AM

I'm still stuck with AM2 and Athlon X2. Who dares to call me retro??!! *Assumes fighting stance*
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 7:24:37 AM

I'm sure there is but overall when I read the posts here and at sites like anandtech, overclockers etc 90 percent of the time guys especially with oem rigs get dismissed.
I owned my first computer when I was 11 in 1981. It was a TRS-80 Color Computer 16k ram,cassetted drive for loading software along with a cartridge port. Eventually I got a 128 K (that is right Kilobyte) CoCo 2 with a 5 1/4 floppy. Bact then a 2 mb hard disk was the big wow factor.
I have peek'd and poked. Counted in hex and typed out painfully long code in Microsoft Basic (Billy's first big sale to RadioShack (B.T.W. they still have major ties -why do you think they had their salespeople asking for name and addresses they sold the largest privately owned database to them)).
The whole point is hot new hardware is great but if you know how to put it together and reduce your bottlenecks and strip your OS lean you can make a P4 3.2 E.E. or Athlon 3200 look fast compared to most newer computers out there owned by noobs.
Give a later Pentium D around 3ghz with HT on a good mobo (SLi and Sata) with a good OC bios and some sick water/push-pull cooling and I can make it burn some respectable benches with some well picked out oc'd cards (ati 1950 or 7900gt or how about the old 7600gt" though if anybody wants to sell their ole' piece of s--t AGP ati x850 gt preferably a sapphire or xfx or bfg with gddr3 since it is "pathetic" old hardware then i be glad to paypal you 25 bucks to get it off your hands.
I appreciate your reply but in the online world if you ain't running a I7 or Phenom you must not know what you are talking about.
Of course if after paying the mortgage, car insurance, private school, doctor bills, veterinarian bill, gas and electric, phone/internet/cable, summer camp, karate classes etc I scrounge an extra few thousand or so for a computer that does pretty much the same stuff mine does but milliseconds faster I am sure I will upgrade.
I am sorry to sound angry but seeing that a Pentium 4 is "pathetic" according to one poster I am upset.
I would love to see a forum for older hardware so us "senior citizens" can have our rest homes to wax nostalgic about the days of U320 scsi's and 400 fps on a agp slot.
Just ranting it is late goodnight.
King SMP
In the world of crazy men the sane one is nuts.

Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 7:28:42 AM

Oh yeah Herr Koos *slowly draws sword* my dual Xeon Northwood on a 533 fsb beat my daughters Vostro 1000 tk-55 overall on vista experience. *thrust*
Score
a c 233 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 8:27:25 AM

Actually you might be surprised at how many of us on this site at least used to own what would be considered "retro" today. Hell I had an Adam :ouch:  it used actual casette tapes! Thankfully that idea did not catch on lol. I remember being excited when my buddy got a Commodore 128 because it was such a step up from the 64. I used an Apple 2E and remember when the first Macintosh came out. Ahhh the good old days.
I think most people here are like me. We do not mind helping with older stuff but we are "geeks" and the new stuff is just cool.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 8:45:24 AM

Herr_Koos said:
I'm still stuck with AM2 and Athlon X2. Who dares to call me retro??!! *Assumes fighting stance*

Meh, I still use an Athlon XP.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 10:43:11 AM

^ Oldest system I've played with was a P3 and it's somewhat gone. Threw out HDD and some other AMR devices... still got the AGP card though (heatsink is like... a square block 16cm cubed... must be nearly as bad as integrated), and 128 MB SDRAM, and a slot design P3 which I do not know the model of.

I guess compared to other people's retro builds though, it is pretty new.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 11:01:16 AM

Still running 2.8GHz P4 HT "Prescott" with a AGP geforce 6200, 2 x 1GB ddr1 266Mhz ram and 2x 256MB 400MHz DDR1 ram for a total of 2.5GB.

Then my family has built a computer for a friend that has Athlon 4 TM 1.05GHz, Gpu other than being pci, i forget. been to long sense i had a need to do anything to it, 2 x 512mb 200MHz ddr1 ram.

Now my family had older systems but All i can remember is that they had AMD cpu's. Cant remember the model of the cpus or the rest of the setup.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 11:57:20 AM

I still run a 120Mhz Pentium 1 now and then.
Score
a c 133 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 12:09:25 PM

I still got an old 486DX running Windows 95 thing still powers up basically useless but still fun to mess with.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 1:47:31 PM

runswindows95 said:
I still run a 120Mhz Pentium 1 now and then.

DANG..... :eek2: 

Your the first person i know of the still has there P1.
Score
July 20, 2010 2:17:41 PM

i have an abacus. rubish for playing games though
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 2:20:41 PM

Aww... and I thought they could run Crysis.

How big is your abacus and what res. does it use?
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 4:16:44 PM

to warmon and amdfangirl
More power to you.
My question to start this thread is there anywhere dedicated to retro hardware?
I am not talking ancient but p4,Pent D,athlon XP etc.
There are websites out there devoted to Toe Fungus but not retro hardware?
The new hardware is cool and of course it should get the spotlight.
I am not denying that but why not a forum board for us Retro Rockers?
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 4:23:34 PM

B.T.W. amdfangirl what kind of watts does your system run at? It must be like around 30. Sounds like an awesome home theater pc.
BTW Warmon6 if you dug around Craigslist you could dig up a nvidia 7000 series or ati x700 or x800 for dirt cheap and really kick up the graphics. I am sure you know that I am just not sure you care enough about gaming graphics to do it.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 6:06:23 PM

king smp said:
B.T.W. amdfangirl what kind of watts does your system run at? It must be like around 30. Sounds like an awesome home theater pc.
BTW Warmon6 if you dug around Craigslist you could dig up a nvidia 7000 series or ati x700 or x800 for dirt cheap and really kick up the graphics. I am sure you know that I am just not sure you care enough about gaming graphics to do it.

As much as i would like to up the graphics, it wont be worth it. Motherboard about to go and for what i do (folding@home and gaming. maybe try some programing in the future) , it will be better to buy a new computer that can handle all that stuff. Also im not much of a fan of buying used parts.

I like to have warranties behind my stuff so if i have a problem, i can send it back and either get a replacement or the money spent on it back. Which will lead me to only be able to use newegg and they only have 1 motherboard i can use. Which will also force me to buy new ram (uses ddr2) and gpu (pci-e instead of AGP).

But hey. I cant complain about it. This computer lasted me for 5 years with every few issues. has been upgraded from 5200 card to 6200 and had that replace buy another 6200 as the other one got fried and cap on it blow from when the remains of hurrican ike went though ohio. Causing massive power outages across the eastern half of the midwest.

then more ram has been added from 512MB (2 x 256MB sticks) to now 2.5 GB

Been almost a year sence i notice that 3 of the many caps on the MB is about to go and surprise it hasn't blown yet. although i know it wont be much longer.

And just as of lately after i moved, 2 of my usb 2.0 ports are acting very odd. There either not giving power ,not enough, or not registering there there something there (even in bios). The 4 other 2.0 ports and the two 1.0 i have are just fine but i cant figure out what causing the issues. Cables are all just fine. so all i can say is this old time saying it's had enough.

Most intensive game (and the latest) i have that this computer can run is Assassin creed 1. Which was a while back.

Yep but certainly it time i get a more powerful rig but hey in 5+ years from now core i7's and phenom ii's will be retro hardware and that what i'll probably have. :D  Although they probably last even longer than this p4 is right now. Solid caps, better performance, decent price on them.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 6:28:58 PM

i replaced my mobo and dual cpu's (Xeon Prestonia 3.06 L1 512 to 3.2 1mb L2) for 73 dollars total from ebay with short warranties.
I compared my bench on 3dmark03 with 3.06's and it equalled core2duo E6600 or so and to even pick up a used or put together a custom rig to equal it would have been tough.
when i was running Vista (booooo) I got 4.2 on experience rating (PC2100 ram killed me) but everything else was around 5.0 with the 3.06 and a x700 pro card.
Now I have 3.2 and 7600gs.
I have to piece my systems together cheaply and slowly so I do the best i can.
I am looking at TigerDirect for mobo's and cpu combos and in the future will slowly start to put together something better with some used hardware.
I thought about doing a Pentium D 3.4 3.6 HT on a 1066 fsb Asus board with an 7900gt or ati 1950 with a basic watercooling and maybe sli and if I ebay and craigslist can put it together for under 200 bucks. OC'd that system would carry me for awhile.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 6:30:05 PM

Well, the first PC I ever gamed on was an Apple 2E, the one with about a 13" monitor, and the PC itself was separate from that. All white. I played Qbert, and Boucy Ball, some Snake. Oh and Swash Buckling.

Then my dad upgraded to a 386, few years later a 686. I don't recall which of those I first played Quake, Doom, and Duke Nukem 3D (probably the 686) but I do recall getting a 4mb video card and being stupidly excited about it hah.

For a gift one year, I got a space shooter called Mantis, that was on something like 12 3-1/4" floppies... good times.

Anyway, yeah a "retro"hardware section is a good idea.

(BTW, I'm only 24 so I kinda missed out on the really... retro... stuff)

The sad part about the Apple 2E, is only last year my mom made my dad bring it to a recycling depot. I was like WHAT! EBAY at least! Somebody would buy that beauty! It even had a printer...
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 7:08:29 PM

i still have an old P4 computer (no HT) that i use for my teamspeak server (i have a script that runs in the background that backs it up everyday and keeps 1 month's worth of back ups)

unfortunately all of my other systems are not retro:
Phenom II X4 810
Athlon II X2 240
Core i7-720QM

though i do miss my old file server (Celeron 533A)
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 7:18:50 PM

Just read rules of forum.
I am new to forums even though I've been doing this awhile (never been very social on web).
Will avoid big blocks of text.
WIll try to remember 4th grade and using paragraphs LOL.
Sorry.
Score

Best solution

a c 150 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 7:27:07 PM

I had to solder together my first pc myself. LOL
Still have a 486Dx2 chip in my desk drawer, a BP6 mobo loaded with dueal Celeron 433'a that was my old file server, which is now a athlon XP 2800+, which is going to be replaced by my Athlon 64 3400 in my htpc becuase UPS tried to deleiver my new HTPC parts I ordered (amd x3 rig) from Newegg. Not sure what to do with my PD 805 (OC'd to 3.4 on air) setup once I, if I ever, finish my case mod for my 1055T rig.

Yea, as someone else said, we are geeks and we keep going and going. Its all kewl!

I dont know of any retro oriented websites either but oh the memories.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 7:33:18 PM

i still have my first computer, cyrix chip at 166mhz 16 megs of ram and a 1.5 gig hard drive. still occathionally used if i feel like playing 7th guest, monkey island, or kings quest :D 

mos tpeople probably think my current rig with its single core AM64 is pretty retro to .. but hey its what i can afford and with my 8600gt it can game in low settings for most things out there
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 7:39:20 PM

popatim,
What Pentium D chip high freq with HT would you pick?
I want something to watercool and blow up OC'ing
Did they come on 1066 FSB,Sata 3.,SLi,DDR2 PC667 mobo's?
Sorry to bug you but I need a Pentium D expert.
Score
a c 150 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 7:39:36 PM

Yes there were some awesome dos games weren't there. Sometimes I still sing "My baby's all liquered up" when my wifes a little past tipsy hehehe Its from Redneck Rampage ~ 1997

And theres nothing wrong with an Athlon64. It runs win7 fine and mine is in my htpc right now running media center and recording my wifes soaps.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 7:40:06 PM

Best answer selected by King SMP.
Score
a c 150 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 8:06:15 PM

The only PD's that had hyperthreading were the Extreme Editions and required specific motherbd chipsets for HT to not get disabled.
PDEE 840 = Intel's 955X, NVIDIA's nForce4 SLI Intel Edition, and ATi Radeon Xpress 200 chipsets

PDEE 955 & 965 = Intel 975X chipset. there were some who said it would run on the 955x shipset but I dont know for fact if it did or if HT was disabled.

btw - the 8xx series is 90nm tech and the 9xx seris is 65nm's.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 8:15:16 PM

Thank you.
I copied that to MSWord.
I have an urge to OC a PD EE HT and budget wise and availability used I can do it though slowly.
I am curious what kind of 3dmark03 benches with the right vid card and insane OC'ing what that can do.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 9:04:44 PM

popatim said:
Yes there were some awesome dos games weren't there. Sometimes I still sing "My baby's all liquered up" when my wifes a little past tipsy hehehe Its from Redneck Rampage ~ 1997

And theres nothing wrong with an Athlon64. It runs win7 fine and mine is in my htpc right now running media center and recording my wifes soaps.

OMG! That game was crazy! I still know the lyrics of a couple songs like
"You can't kill me
I will not die
Not now
Not ever"
...etc. Probably best if I stop now.

Also, the anti-McDonalds rant was epic.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2012 2:48:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score