No HDD detected after crash

MrPromaster

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
So I was happy facebooking and downloading some steam games in the background when my screen froze! after tens minutes I decided to hit the power button. on boot up I hear the post beep, but the PC hangs on the 'full screen logo' longer than usual and then the next screen comes up showing no Devices are being detected and it tells me to insert the boot CD! they don't appear in the BIOS either.

I've checked all the cable and I can hear the drive spin up but I still cant see the drives!

any help would be very much appreciated!

-Sata 40GB Seagate boot drive
-Sata 160GB media drive
-IDE CD drive
-IDE 120GB spare drive

Solution
When you are in BIOS does it recognize the drive? If not the drive probably has mechanical issues and has to be fixed/replaced.

If BIOS recognizes the drive then the Windows boot file is probably corrupted. Boot to your Windows installation CD/DVD and repair your computer.

Here's a link on how to do it: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/e6b22272-3849-4625-a218-a9d49031f73c/

MrPromaster

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply, I followed your instruction to the letter, but the drive is still not detected and I get to the classic:

verifying DMI pool data... success
BOOT DISK ERROR

When you are in BIOS does it recognize the drive? If not the drive probably has mechanical issues and has to be fixed/replaced.

If BIOS recognizes the drive then the Windows boot file is probably corrupted. Boot to your Windows installation CD/DVD and repair your computer.

Here's a link on how to do it: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/e6b22272-3849-4625-a218-a9d49031f73c/

Solution

MrPromaster

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
No the BIOS does not recognise the drive :'(

It looks like it could have finally bit the dust, maybe this is a sign to upgrade to an SSD and get with the times! This has put a spanner it my plan to upgrade the graphics card :(

Thanks a lot for your help!

MrPromaster

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
I have now found that two of my hard drives have failed, my boot drive does not appear in the BIOS and my other one is making strange noises and a chip on the back has burnt out!

Lucky my media drive is fine and showing up in the bios! But now i cant get the dvd drive to be detechted, without it how will i install windows on to my future hard drive! Its the only device attachted to the IDE cable and it has been set to master but it still wont appear in the bios!?!

I will be regatedul for anyhelp :(

TRENDING THREADS