Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Overclocking (Would I benefit?)

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 20, 2010 6:37:42 AM

Check signature for CPU details...


What should I OC to approximately?

How much would I benefit?

I want to stick with air cooling for now... (212 plus and AS5 paste ?)

I have no Idea how to do this so I would probably get a local to help me with it or learn off the forums... I plan on doing this at a later date and most likely when I get my second 5870 xfired.

More about : overclocking benefit

a c 131 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 6:43:02 AM

How much would I benefit?
You haven't told us anything about what you intend to use your computer for. You could benefit, or you could not benefit at all. It depends on your uses. I games, which games?

Honestly though, I can't see you having a noticeable performance increase in anything, with the exception of Flight Simulator X, which is very CPU intensive.

From your sig, you are already overclocked from stock 2.8GHz to 2.93GHz.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 5:17:42 PM

enzo matrix said:
How much would I benefit?
You haven't told us anything about what you intend to use your computer for. You could benefit, or you could not benefit at all. It depends on your uses. I games, which games?

Honestly though, I can't see you having a noticeable performance increase in anything, with the exception of Flight Simulator X, which is very CPU intensive.

From your sig, you are already overclocked from stock 2.8GHz to 2.93GHz.


Sorry I was really tired when I made this....

I want to game. Metro 2033 Crysis, splinter cell, COD series . All my games now run okay but not the best, (either tear or lag depending if vsync is on or off)... Currently I only have one 5870 and want another one though near Christmas. Maybe even if I don't OC that cooler would be better than stock so if I do decide to Overclock it I can without spending more money.... Maybe for me to learn overclocking I could upgrade cooler and bump the cpu to 3.2ghz range????


I have not overclocked and do not really know how. Thats my cpu under load It came 193mhz OC'ed I guess, I read all cpu's are different and I guess I was lucky and got one that could run stable at a stock overclocked rate. :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2010 4:05:12 AM

Just google "beginner's guide to overclocking"
there are tons of articles and guides.
Warning if you smell something like ammonia and your computer acts funky you went too far.
Use a good temp and volt monitor ALWAYS Speedfan is good freeware and Sensorsview is prettier but 25 bucks.
Use the events part of the temp/volt monitor and when it beeps pay attention.
Get an older cheaper tower to play with first so if you fry it it is no big deal.
Good Luck
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 21, 2010 4:53:49 AM

You will notice almost zero improvement for games if you OC your cpu. Your CPU is already more than enough to run those games beyond the 60fps refresh rate of your monitor, and those games don't use more than 2 cores anyways.
Share
July 21, 2010 5:00:38 AM

Best answer selected by benson733.
m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 5:54:38 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
You will notice almost zero improvement for games if you OC your cpu. Your CPU is already more than enough to run those games beyond the 60fps refresh rate of your monitor, and those games don't use more than 2 cores anyways.

Metro 2033 is highly multi-threaded. Cod 6 can use up to 3 cores. I think splinter cell might only be able to use 2 cores though.
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 5:57:06 AM

enzo matrix said:
Metro 2033 is highly multi-threaded. Cod 6 can use up to 3 cores. I think splinter cell might only be able to use 2 cores though.




I think he says that because my cpu is high enough to support those genre's of games. So at the moment their will be no need. I am going to do alot of reading because I don't want to fry my system....
m
0
l
!