Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Toshiba Satellite 2450 Hard Disk

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 3:31:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I need to replace the Hard Disk on my Toshiba Satellite 2450 but there is no
information
in the manual about replacing the hard drive and I can't find any
information on the internet.

I have taken pictures which can be found at
http://www.geocities.com/bettingsynd/Satellite2450Back....
the red circles show the screws and the white borders show the sections that
look like the come off.

If you look at the side view
http://www.geocities.com/bettingsynd/Satellite2450Side.... the part marked
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the hard drive and or how it
comes out.

If anyone could help me out with pictures or a step by step description of
how to take out the hard drive
I would be very grateful

Thanks

William
October 3, 2004 3:31:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

The side view is of the pc card slots. Nothing to do with your hard drive.
Did you look under the covers on the bottom? My bet would be lower left in
your picture.
Terry

"William Vaux" <collingwood@go.to> wrote in message
news:415f568d@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>I need to replace the Hard Disk on my Toshiba Satellite 2450 but there is
>no
> information
> in the manual about replacing the hard drive and I can't find any
> information on the internet.
>
> I have taken pictures which can be found at
> http://www.geocities.com/bettingsynd/Satellite2450Back....
> the red circles show the screws and the white borders show the sections
> that
> look like the come off.
>
> If you look at the side view
> http://www.geocities.com/bettingsynd/Satellite2450Side.... the part marked
> I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the hard drive and or how it
> comes out.
>
> If anyone could help me out with pictures or a step by step description of
> how to take out the hard drive
> I would be very grateful
>
> Thanks
>
> William
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 3:31:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I believe that the hard drive is under the panel at the lower left of
your photo. Remove that panel (looks like one screw), and you will
probably find the hard drive in a "carrier". Remove the carrier (should
be fairly obvious), the hard drive can be removed from the carrier most
likely by removing 4 screws (2 on each side). Replace the drive with
another, put it back together. That part isn't terribly difficult.

Now, however, what are your plans for moving the SYSTEM that's currently
residing on that hard drive? That actually may be the larger issue than
the mechanical replacement.


William Vaux wrote:

> I need to replace the Hard Disk on my Toshiba Satellite 2450 but there is no
> information
> in the manual about replacing the hard drive and I can't find any
> information on the internet.
>
> I have taken pictures which can be found at
> http://www.geocities.com/bettingsynd/Satellite2450Back....
> the red circles show the screws and the white borders show the sections that
> look like the come off.
>
> If you look at the side view
> http://www.geocities.com/bettingsynd/Satellite2450Side.... the part marked
> I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the hard drive and or how it
> comes out.
>
> If anyone could help me out with pictures or a step by step description of
> how to take out the hard drive
> I would be very grateful
>
> Thanks
>
> William
>
>
Related resources
October 4, 2004 12:28:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Barry Watzman wrote:
> I believe that the hard drive is under the panel at the lower left of
> your photo. Remove that panel (looks like one screw), and you will
> probably find the hard drive in a "carrier". Remove the carrier (should
> be fairly obvious), the hard drive can be removed from the carrier most
> likely by removing 4 screws (2 on each side). Replace the drive with
> another, put it back together. That part isn't terribly difficult.

I'll confirm that, since I have a 2450 ;) 
Wouldn't exactly call it a "carrier" though... :) 

> Now, however, what are your plans for moving the SYSTEM that's currently
> residing on that hard drive? That actually may be the larger issue than
> the mechanical replacement.

Ghost and Drive image both work, but since the OP reports that the drive
is dead, so that may not help...:( 

In case it helps, a plain install of XP works just fine - this machine
is about as "standard" as laptops come really. (I've had Mandrake 9 on
it too with most things working).
All the XP drivers are available on the Toshiba site, although the only
one I used was the modem driver. I went to Intel for the chipset driver
and Realtek for the Lan card etc...
The Omega drivers work great for the Geforce Go card in this machine too.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 4, 2004 2:13:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Barry,
Thanks for you help on this issue.

I believe the current Hard Drive is dead. It locked up on me and didn't
recover.
I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I and a few other people feel the problem
is.
After resetting it took ages to try and load which it didn't, I decided that
I would
reformat and see if I could get it working again. When reformatting, it came
up
with errors and upon restarting with XP boot screen, it stayed on the boot
screen
for over an hour. All the time when having these problems the light at the
front was
on hard, meaning it was thinking and not doing anything, also there was a
sound
like a tick or knock. Anyway I rang Toshiba and they suggested try
reformatting
again and then it was even worse the next time as it would say something
about
not able to disk cache and Invalid destination drive.
I emailed Toshiba in USA and asked about getting an 80G hard disk and
whether
there would be any problems putting that in. They told me it should be fine.
Spoke to Toshiba in Australia again and they gave me numbers to ring re:
support
service and a company that sells Toshiba hard drives. I called about the
hard drive
and they told me $540 for a 40G, then told me they found one for $320. I was
thinking WOW....I did some looking around and found an 80G for $255 and have
bought that, just waiting for it to come in now. Hopefully a new Hard Drive
will fix
the problem, if not I'll probably have to take it in a get serviced.

What do you mean about what are my plans for moving the SYSTEM that's
currently
residing on that hard drive?

Thanks

William

"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
news:415F6016.2080808@neo.rr.com...
> I believe that the hard drive is under the panel at the lower left of
> your photo. Remove that panel (looks like one screw), and you will
> probably find the hard drive in a "carrier". Remove the carrier (should
> be fairly obvious), the hard drive can be removed from the carrier most
> likely by removing 4 screws (2 on each side). Replace the drive with
> another, put it back together. That part isn't terribly difficult.
>
> Now, however, what are your plans for moving the SYSTEM that's currently
> residing on that hard drive? That actually may be the larger issue than
> the mechanical replacement.
>
>
> William Vaux wrote:
>
> > I need to replace the Hard Disk on my Toshiba Satellite 2450 but there
is no
> > information
> > in the manual about replacing the hard drive and I can't find any
> > information on the internet.
> >
> > I have taken pictures which can be found at
> > http://www.geocities.com/bettingsynd/Satellite2450Back....
> > the red circles show the screws and the white borders show the sections
that
> > look like the come off.
> >
> > If you look at the side view
> > http://www.geocities.com/bettingsynd/Satellite2450Side.... the part
marked
> > I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the hard drive and or how
it
> > comes out.
> >
> > If anyone could help me out with pictures or a step by step description
of
> > how to take out the hard drive
> > I would be very grateful
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > William
> >
> >
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 4, 2004 2:13:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

All of those prices seem tremendously high (perhaps they are not US $).
I paid about $140 US$ for a 60 gig drive about a year ago.

> What do you mean about what are my plans for moving the SYSTEM that's
> currently residing on that hard drive?

I'm talking about the operating system and your data. Apparently,
however, those are both already gone anyway.
!