Sign in with
Your question

My computer turned itself off and is not turning on again

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
July 20, 2010 8:08:00 AM

Hey, I was playing a game yesterday that demands almost no computer power. I had been playing for a couple of hours when my pc suddenly shut down. I tried starting it again, and it lightened up, but the fans had a really low noise. They usually make a lot of noise during the start-up. No image was popping up on my screen and whatever. I've tried to vaccuum my computer inside and I've checked if all the parts and cables are plugged in. This usually is a solution for similar problems of mine.

Do anyone know what's wrong?
July 20, 2010 8:37:13 AM

You full PC config would have helped you know. Otherwise how can you expect any suggestion or help?
Anonymous
July 20, 2010 9:03:18 AM

EDIT SPECS:
AMD ATHLON 6400+
PSU 550W
RADEON 3870x2
3gb RAM
Random fatal1ty soundcard
ASUS m2n-e SLI
Related resources
July 20, 2010 9:09:07 AM

PSU brand??

Is your screen POST'ing? or even that screen is not coming up?

Could be that your processor is dying! Too early to say that. Using a vacuum cleaner on a PC interior is a bit risky!
Anonymous
July 20, 2010 9:18:36 AM

No image on the screen popping up, and the fans aren't behavouring as normal, but all my LED lights and etc are working. It sounds like it's sleeping, lol. Well, as said, it's really noisy when I usually starts up, but it almost makes no sound now.

The PSU brand is Silver Power and I believe it's 600w, not 550w.
July 20, 2010 9:19:28 AM

What exactly happens after you press the power button? How hard do you press it, how do you turn off the PC afterwards. What does it smell like. Take off the side, are the GPU fans turning? Are all the fans turning? The more details, the easier it'll be for someone who can't possibly be there to experience it themselves, to help.
July 20, 2010 9:19:44 AM

Seems to me it is a PSU fault.
July 20, 2010 9:22:01 AM

Do you have an extra power supply to test on it?

Can you take out one of the video cards, and test each one individually?

It sounds like the PSU, or the CPU to me. That's just a quick educated guess at the moment
Anonymous
July 20, 2010 9:24:26 AM

I press the power button like any normal person would do. All the fans are also working, but they don't go like WOOOOOOSH like under a normal start. They are like shhhh all the way now.

The PSU brand is silver power.

As said, all lights are working, every cable is plugged in and every component is plugged in properly.

Most parts except my hard drive are about 2-3 years old, and they've also been working steady.
July 20, 2010 9:28:03 AM

There is a 4 pin power plug on the motherboard aside from the 20-24pin. Does your PSU have an extra 4 pin plug that you can switch with the one thats currently plugged into that part of the board?

Anonymous
July 20, 2010 9:32:34 AM

Okay, i tested now with a 450w PSU i had lying around. It worked properly, but it's to old so I don't have enough cables to give video card electricity. It says so on the screen. It looks like the PSU is dead then...

Guess I got to buy a new one, 600w.

Thanks for great help, guys.
July 20, 2010 9:32:47 AM

http://img32.imageshack.us/i/13131096s03.jpg/

The circled part there I believe supplies power to the CPU. I'm thinking that the PSU is the problem, and the cord going to that 4 pin socket is the problem with the PSU, if that cord is the only problem, maybe you'll get lucky with an extra adaptor you can switch with. Again, it might not even be that, It could be the CPU, or the motherboard.
July 20, 2010 9:33:15 AM

oh ok, good luck. glad you found the problem
Anonymous
July 20, 2010 9:37:01 AM

Cute dog btw. Some type of islander or flat?
July 20, 2010 9:38:08 AM

It's a cocker spanial, a type of spanial that chases cocker birds or something...

This one only chases bugs and food though haha

Atleast he doesnt chew up cords!
July 20, 2010 9:38:20 AM

Could be a PSU fault as well. But his PC is powering up. That's why i suspect the proccy!
@OP: If you have a spare PSU or a friend's PSU you can borrow then try it out. You have to go one-by-one on this one, to find out the root cause!

Do you hear any beeps after you power on?
Anonymous
July 20, 2010 9:42:33 AM

hell: If you read the replies you can see that I found the problem ;)  Thanks for all help <3

dog man: Yeah, a friend of mine got one of the same race, but I never remember the name... lol I got an 11 year old golden retriever myself, and we're getting puppy which a mix between flat and labradoodle in september. They are like labradors except they don't loose hair, they got longer fur and they got a lighter body. Superdog, lol
July 20, 2010 9:47:32 AM

lol

good luck :D 
July 20, 2010 9:50:31 AM

Well i typed it and forgot to press submit! Then went on to do some other surfing... :D  :D 

Well its good that you have solved your problem! All the best!
Anonymous
July 20, 2010 2:22:57 PM

Thanks, when I took a closer look at the 4pin thing I see that some of it has melted, that must've been the problem.

Is it possible to take my old 4 pin plastic thing and switch it with my the broken one?
!