cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
After 2 days of desperately trying, I have to ask for help.
I recently was given a Pyrus portable media player with all that comes in the box. charger, ear buds, skimpy manual, and a cd with an avi converter app only on it. model PMP6092
I plugged it in to my usb port and win7 sees it, loads drivers, and asks me to open it. I open it and about 3 seconds after I do the icon disappears and the player starts charging.
Here's where it gets weird. We have Win7 based PCs at work, so I bring it to work. I plug it in and windows sees it and lets me open, add, and remove files like a flash drive.
I bring it home and connect it to my wifes win7 HP machine and it works fine there too.
So I have yet to find out why my PC will not let it work past 3-4 seconds.

I am running windows 7 x64 like my wife and work have, and usb 2.0 ports as well. I have the same version of generic usb drivers they have too.
the player shows the usb logo while connects to the other machines, but after 3-4 seconds on mine it switches to charge modeand the icon in computer is gone.

I am open to all suggestions at this point.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
You might want to make sure that if it was used by someone else that there are no infected files on it there are many trojans that can infect mp3 players/thumbdrives.
Best to scan it with a current AV.
Chances are the AV on your machine is preventing access to it so it does not infect your machine.

cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I did what you suggested tech and it had no viruses. I even temp disabled my av. It did autorun and I had time to open it and see the folders then the player went into charge mode and the window I had open showing the folders went away.

I think perhaps it may be an app I'm running that has changed something in windows that is causing it. Finding it would be a challenge. I will try booting in safe mode to see if it works that way. If it does, then it is a background app running that is causing it to fail or a rouge driver or dll.
It must be one that the other 2 PCs aren't running since they let me work with it just fine.
I'll post my findings and let you know how it went.
Thanks for the suggestion.

cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

I do have an ASUS brand board, the ASRock 880GM-LE FX. However I didn't install the fast charge app. I have an Ipod nano and it works fine though.
I thought it may have been the Xfast USB so I disabled it with the same results.

cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

I did think of that, but the player has both an internal flash drive and an SD card slot which is empty. Win 7 shows both of them and I have had disk mgnt open to try it, but they disappear before I can make any changes. It reads disk cannot be found.

cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
To give a bit more to go on, I do have a 1tb HD with 3 partitions, a dvd player and dvd burner all of which are SATA II. Again, I have no trouble using my Ipod or regular usb flash drives in this machine on any usb port.

I booted my machine into safe mode last night and was able to work with all the folders and add/remove songs so it must be an app that loads in windows that is the culprit. I now have to run selective startup to find which one it is.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I believe this mp3 player is laughing at me inside. BTW it is a pryus electronics if that helps any. I even got it to work on my kids XP machine. I'm about to just give it to one of them and forget about it. Haven't had time to try diagnostic startup disabling my apps one at a time yet, maybe this weekend.
For the record my son has one of those creative Muvo players and it hangs up when I try to copy music to it. UGH