Sign in with
Your question

Advice on networked storage

Last response: in Storage
June 29, 2012 1:46:04 AM

Greetings,

The electronic device number in my household seems to be increasing every year. As it stands right now I have a desktop, 2 cell phones, 2 Tablets, a laptop, and a networked Blue-ray player. My goal is to link all of these devices together via one storage medium.

Now, I understand the concept of the "cloud" and how it basically solves my problem. However, unfortunately I live out in the woods and my internet is pretty terrible. The cloud works great for documents, but when it comes to moving larger files such as movies, large amounts of music, etc. it simply becomes impractical due to absurd download and upload times.

So, what I'm looking to do is setup my own "cloud" within my house. Something that will be compatible with my devices and not suffer just because I have a terrible service provider. Can anyone guide me in the right direction for what I should be looking for to accomplish this? It would be greatly appreciated :)  Cheers.
a b G Storage
June 29, 2012 6:03:31 AM

If your Router has a usb connector you can attach a 2TB hard disk for network storage.
m
l
June 29, 2012 12:27:36 PM

aliasxneo said:
Greetings,

The electronic device number in my household seems to be increasing every year. As it stands right now I have a desktop, 2 cell phones, 2 Tablets, a laptop, and a networked Blue-ray player. My goal is to link all of these devices together via one storage medium.

Now, I understand the concept of the "cloud" and how it basically solves my problem. However, unfortunately I live out in the woods and my internet is pretty terrible. The cloud works great for documents, but when it comes to moving larger files such as movies, large amounts of music, etc. it simply becomes impractical due to absurd download and upload times.

So, what I'm looking to do is setup my own "cloud" within my house. Something that will be compatible with my devices and not suffer just because I have a terrible service provider. Can anyone guide me in the right direction for what I should be looking for to accomplish this? It would be greatly appreciated :)  Cheers.

HTML Forms Data Loader…

by marco on May.10, 2012, under Woodworking Products

Summary:
Loads data directly into front end forms thus no direct connection to the database is required. Saves lots of time. Prepare load once and replicate the load as many times as you want. Compatible with Oracle Applications 10. All validations define in the application forms are performed. Useful, Links dataloader for developers who have to feed data into forms repeatedly while testing applications. Application behaves as data is entered by a user. Requires no special technical knowledge, can be used by non-technical end users as data is loaded in forms. Useful for loading legacy data into applications where data cannot be loaded directly into tables easily. Oracle Apps 11, Oracle Apps 11i & Oracle Apps 12i Loads data through Macros or Forms Record and Playback Mode Import data from Comma Separated Values Files (CSV), TAB Delimited Files or any other char delimited file 7s Accurate. Completely transparent to the application.

The objective of this tutorial series is to discuss features such as ERP Products, Oracle Apps 11i & Oracle Applications R12

Oracle Application Field Work:

It also incorporates the EJB from Java to create different regions and components. The naming convention of the regions will itself suggest that how that region will make the look of the items when the page is rendered. Hence it is possible to nest the regions and place items in the regions. G. All the items placed in this style of region will come in a single column An OA Framework page can be made up of a single or many regions. E. There are a plenty of available regions that come with OA Framework, these are called as seeded regions. E. Oracle Application Framework uses Java Struts MVC architecture as the base.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 29, 2012 1:15:29 PM

nhasian said:
If your Router has a usb connector you can attach a 2TB hard disk for network storage.

Agreed - there are lots of routers on the market that support the "build your own NAS" formula of hard drive + router = private cloud.

Definitely more than 1 way to skin that cat - my recommendation would be to get a NAS (you can go enterprise grade or something simple like a Drobo depending on your budget) and setup a workgroup for your computers.

If you already have large storage drives on either of your computers, create a fileshare between the PCs.

I really like Seagate's new portable hard drive which has it's own internal wireless sharing solution. Unfortunately, it's only a 500GB drive but it works fairly well on tablets for viewing content from the drive wirelessly. Not sure how much you're wanting to store or how simple/elegant you want the solution, but here's a link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 29, 2012 1:35:01 PM

game junky said:
Agreed - there are lots of routers on the market that support the "build your own NAS" formula of hard drive + router = private cloud.

Definitely more than 1 way to skin that cat - my recommendation would be to get a NAS (you can go enterprise grade or something simple like a Drobo depending on your budget) and setup a workgroup for your computers.

If you already have large storage drives on either of your computers, create a fileshare between the PCs.

I really like Seagate's new portable hard drive which has it's own internal wireless sharing solution. Unfortunately, it's only a 500GB drive but it works fairly well on tablets for viewing content from the drive wirelessly. Not sure how much you're wanting to store or how simple/elegant you want the solution, but here's a link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My main concern is more the cell phones and tablets. Networking computers is pretty straightforward, especially with Windows 7, however making that same data available to my IPad 2 is not so easy. I'll check out that Seagate and see if it might work for my situation.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 29, 2012 5:17:03 PM

aliasxneo said:
My main concern is more the cell phones and tablets. Networking computers is pretty straightforward, especially with Windows 7, however making that same data available to my IPad 2 is not so easy. I'll check out that Seagate and see if it might work for my situation.

Are all of the Cell Phones/Tablets running iOS or are some using Android? I know the Seagate has cross-platform applications, but there might be a better way.

Are you primarily wanting photos, music or videos for streaming?
m
l
June 29, 2012 10:41:23 PM

game junky said:
Are all of the Cell Phones/Tablets running iOS or are some using Android? I know the Seagate has cross-platform applications, but there might be a better way.

Are you primarily wanting photos, music or videos for streaming?

Tablets are both iOS (Ipad 2, 3) and the phones are both android. I mostly want a central location for streaming video since I have an extensive collection of movies (about a TB worth) stored on an external drive.
m
l
!