Sign in with
Your question

Az11 does not like my upgrade to AMD 1.1GHz Athlon CPU

Last response: in CPUs
July 20, 2010 11:09:20 AM

anyone know what the problem is, computer keeps resetting after going from a 600MHz to 1.1GHz CPU. Nothing else is changed I noticed the CPU packet had socket 462 on it but not socket A. but the cpu looks exactly the same.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2010 11:38:40 AM

I'm guessing the CPU is not compatible with your motherboard. What is the exact make and model?
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
July 20, 2010 1:07:14 PM

farmpest said:
anyone know what the problem is, computer keeps resetting after going from a 600MHz to 1.1GHz CPU.

You'll need to give us the make and model of the motherboard or the make and model of computer, if it's a branded/OEM system like an HP or Dell. You'll also need to give us the model of the 600 MHz and 1.1 GHz CPUs you have. Your board may need a BIOS update, the CPU's FSB may not be compatible with the motherboard, your PSU may be dead, etc. etc. We just need more information so we can start ruling out things.

Quote:
Nothing else is changed I noticed the CPU packet had socket 462 on it but not socket A. but the cpu looks exactly the same.

Socket A = Socket 462. All Socket A sockets have "Socket 462" imprinted on them:
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2010 4:44:33 AM

MU_Engineer said:
You'll need to give us the make and model of the motherboard or the make and model of computer, if it's a branded/OEM system like an HP or Dell. You'll also need to give us the model of the 600 MHz and 1.1 GHz CPUs you have. Your board may need a BIOS update, the CPU's FSB may not be compatible with the motherboard, your PSU may be dead, etc. etc. We just need more information so we can start ruling out things.

Quote:
Nothing else is changed I noticed the CPU packet had socket 462 on it but not socket A. but the cpu looks exactly the same.

Socket A = Socket 462. All Socket A sockets have "Socket 462" imprinted on them:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/SocketA.jpg/290px-SocketA.jpg

-----------------------
hi guys

its a AZ11 FIC board

the motherboard.cz site for az11 shows that the athlon 1.1GHz is compatable.
http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/fic/AZ11.htm

I now know that socket A=socket 462

1.One person on the net has suggested removing some of the ram. because i have 750mb. its a mixture of 256 legend sdr and 2 x 256 adata pc133 chips. he said the memory may be operating at disfferent speeds.

2. Also another person said to do a bios upgrade. they said
http://driverscollection.com/?file_id=5697

anymore ideas and where is the best place to get bios or otherwise if that is what you suggest.

Rick
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2010 9:56:49 AM

What exactly does the PC now do?

Does it just load the BIOS and then restart? Or does it try to boot into windows and you get a BSOD?

It could be anything really without further information, although I assume you're using the cooler from the 600MHz CPU with the 'new' 1.1GHz CPU? If so I knew from having a 1.3GHz Athlon Thunderbird in 2001, that they run very very hot, so it maybe possibly overheating due to lack of cooling.
m
l
July 27, 2010 6:28:42 PM

icraig said:
What exactly does the PC now do?

Does it just load the BIOS and then restart? Or does it try to boot into windows and you get a BSOD?

It could be anything really without further information, although I assume you're using the cooler from the 600MHz CPU with the 'new' 1.1GHz CPU? If so I knew from having a 1.3GHz Athlon Thunderbird in 2001, that they run very very hot, so it maybe possibly overheating due to lack of cooling.

Hi Craig

I bought the original heat heat and fan with the athlon...my old fan was on its way out. the new fan is very quiet
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2010 9:26:59 PM

So described the exact scenario when you turn the PC on?

Does it POST etc?
m
l
August 3, 2010 11:13:26 AM

farmpest said:
Hi Craig

I bought the original heat heat and fan with the athlon...my old fan was on its way out. the new fan is very quiet

Hi Craig

Blue screen of death?
Initially the computer booted up normally right up to the xp page. I even had time to check the system page in control panel to see that it had recognised that the CPU was indeed 1.1GHz.

Then ,not sure if its related, I started word, and it reset. Then after each reboot it goes into checking or scanning the harddisks (the screen is blue) for each drive.
When it does it it uses freezes after say 60% for the first harddisk it checks.

When i have replaced the 600Mhz CPU with the same new fan that came with the 1.1Ghz CPU everything is back to normal.

It may be possible that the 1.1Ghz is stuffed!.

Appreciate the time you are spending in helping me.

Rick
m
l
!