"lightweight" laptop with two internal hard drives???

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 2, 2004 11:29:40 PM

I'm looking for a new laptop that would allow me to mount two internal
hard drives. Something lightweight and Linux-friendly.

Asus used to have several models that supported two internal drives,
but, I don't see this as an option in their new models.

It must have a 'M', 'centrino' or other well-cooled, non-desktop
processor. I sit with my laptop on my lap :) .

It can't be a Dell. Dell refuses to provide full-coverage warranties
in my state :( .

Gwen
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 3:01:58 AM

"Gwen Morse" <gwen.morse@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D f40367e.0410021829.84dbb86@posting.google.com...
> I'm looking for a new laptop that would allow me to mount two internal
> hard drives. Something lightweight and Linux-friendly.

Don't know what you consider to be 'lightweight'. To me, anything over 5
pounds is heavy.

Anyway, take a look at the ThinkPad T Series, for which you can get the
Ultrabay Slim 2nd HDD adapter for an additional hard drive.

The T series is supposed to be Linux friendly, but I don't have any personal
experience.

JL
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 6:46:32 AM

Re: "It can't be a Dell. Dell refuses to provide full-coverage
warranties in my state :( ."

The reason for that, in case you wondered, is that your state classifies
these as "insurance" rather than "warranties", and requires anyone
selling them to be licensed in your state as an "insurance" company, and
anyone selling them has to be a "LICENSED insurance agent" and so on.

It turns out, this is no minor deal, in fact it's a rather big deal, and
it's unlikely that you will be able to purchase such a policy from any
other vendor either, for the same reasons (Toshiba doesn't sell their
"systemguard" policies in the same states that Dell won't sell
warranties in for he same reasons). So you might as well put Dell back
on the "approved vendors list".

Gwen Morse wrote:

> I'm looking for a new laptop that would allow me to mount two internal
> hard drives. Something lightweight and Linux-friendly.
>
> Asus used to have several models that supported two internal drives,
> but, I don't see this as an option in their new models.
>
> It must have a 'M', 'centrino' or other well-cooled, non-desktop
> processor. I sit with my laptop on my lap :) .
>
> It can't be a Dell. Dell refuses to provide full-coverage warranties
> in my state :( .
>
> Gwen
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 6:46:33 AM

> Re: "It can't be a Dell. Dell refuses to provide full-coverage
> warranties in my state :( ."
>
> The reason for that, in case you wondered, is that your state classifies
> these as "insurance" rather than "warranties", and requires anyone
> selling them to be licensed in your state as an "insurance" company, and
> anyone selling them has to be a "LICENSED insurance agent" and so on.
>
> It turns out, this is no minor deal, in fact it's a rather big deal, and
> it's unlikely that you will be able to purchase such a policy from any
> other vendor either, for the same reasons (Toshiba doesn't sell their
> "systemguard" policies in the same states that Dell won't sell
> warranties in for he same reasons). So you might as well put Dell back
> on the "approved vendors list".

Or move out of state ;-)

Just out of curiosity,
which state is it?

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 4:18:26 PM

> > The reason for that, in case you wondered, is that your state classifies
> > these as "insurance" rather than "warranties", and requires anyone
> Just out of curiosity,
> which state is it?

FL is one that I know has this odd kind of law.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 6:35:14 PM

Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message news:<415F6A26.5080403@neo.rr.com>...
> Re: "It can't be a Dell. Dell refuses to provide full-coverage
> warranties in my state :( ."

> It turns out, this is no minor deal, in fact it's a rather big deal, and
> it's unlikely that you will be able to purchase such a policy from any
> other vendor either, for the same reasons (Toshiba doesn't sell their
> "systemguard" policies in the same states that Dell won't sell
> warranties in for he same reasons). So you might as well put Dell back
> on the "approved vendors list".

That's patently untrue. My husband was able to purchase (and has had
repairs made under) his Toshiba full-coverage plan. Whether it was
named "insurance" rather than "warranty", I couldn't answer. But, he
bought a plan that covers any sort of damage (accidental, hardware
failure, spills, etc) through Toshiba (not a third party) and they
honor it. He bought it in the same state (NY).

To add insult to injury, Dell repair staff have hidden behind the
argument "You ought to have bought a Complete Care plan" when refusing
to honor my warranty for legitimate hardware failures. I was able to
find a reasonably-priced outside repair facility to get the work done,
but, it doesn't change that I ought to have not HAD to.

Given that they refuse to sell me the only plan under which they'll do
any major servicing, I see no reason to buy from them.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 7:17:00 PM

"Johnnie Leung" <jsleung@telecom-digest.zzn.com> wrote in message news:<a-WdneNP5tJlCMLcRVn-sA@comcast.com>...
> "Gwen Morse" <gwen.morse@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D f40367e.0410021829.84dbb86@posting.google.com...
> > I'm looking for a new laptop that would allow me to mount two internal
> > hard drives. Something lightweight and Linux-friendly.
>

> Don't know what you consider to be 'lightweight'. To me, anything over 5
> pounds is heavy.

Lighter than my Inspiron 8200 (which to be honest I don't know the
weight specs on, but, it's classified as a "Desktop replacement").

> Anyway, take a look at the ThinkPad T Series, for which you can get the
> Ultrabay Slim 2nd HDD adapter for an additional hard drive.

Thanks, this looks reasonably nice and in my tentative price range.

The next question is...would I have to sacrifice less weight or the
extra drive to get a better video card? It's just not possible on the
"T" system, but, on a competitive model from another manufacturer?

> The T series is supposed to be Linux friendly, but I don't have any personal
> experience.

Most new systems reasonably are, the biggest issues are with winmodems
(which I thanfully don't have to use) and wireless cards (for which
there are more linux drivers or windows drivers that work under
wrappers every day). But, I thought I ought to throw it in there "just
in case" :) .

Gwen
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 7:30:08 PM

"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<415f8967$1@news.meer.net>...
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message

> Or move out of state ;-)
>

> Just out of curiosity,
> which state is it?

New York. Toshiba sold my husband a full-coverage plan, so, I doubt I
have to go to that extreme (moving out).

If I kick my husband out and he moves to another state, can he get a
contract in that state and mail the laptop to me?

*grin*

Gwen
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 4, 2004 10:00:51 PM

gwen.morse@gmail.com (Gwen Morse) wrote in message news:<df40367e.0410021829.84dbb86@posting.google.com>...
> I'm looking for a new laptop that would allow me to mount two internal
> hard drives. Something lightweight and Linux-friendly.
>
> Asus used to have several models that supported two internal drives,
> but, I don't see this as an option in their new models.
>
> It must have a 'M', 'centrino' or other well-cooled, non-desktop
> processor. I sit with my laptop on my lap :) .

The Gateway 450 allows a second hard drive instead of the optical
drive. But I think that the IBM T series is a better deal since you
buy just the Ultrabay adapter and then get whatever 2.5-inch, 12.5-mm
high drive you want.
!