First Time Build $1200 - $1500

bpeyzner

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I would like to buy something within a week or so.
BUDGET RANGE: Between $1200 and $1500 - haven't decided if that should include the monitor (although if it can its a big plus)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Been using the same laptop last 7 years, before that I had a desktop for about 5 years, so its been a while, but I would like to play some games, I use microsoft word and excel alot, internet too. Would also like to set it up as a media station with my tv/dvr

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: software... although I will be using Windows 7

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com is fine.

PARTS PREFERENCES: the i5 750

OVERCLOCKING: Would like too SLI OR CROSSFIRE: in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I believe 1920x1080 -

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have been out of the computer gig for a while, looking at all this information its just overwhelming, at this point I just want a good computer i can game with, but when I need to work i can move between programs seemigliess. I also don't buy computers all that often, so I would like something I can be happy with for some time. Finally, a media station is a biggggggggg plus!!

What i thought about right now is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

Mother Board: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro Intel P55 LGA 1156 Motherboard
Can't decide between these Graphic Cards:
GeForce GTX 470
Radeon HD 5870
2 x Radeon HD 5770 in CrossFire Configuration – seems like the best deal

Any advice is welcomed!!

jbakerlent

Distinguished
Welcome to the forum. It shouldn't be too hard to fit an i5 build and a monitor into that budget. I priced out two potential builds and without combos you could get a Phenom II X4 build for about $80 less. Anyways, here's the components for the i5 one.

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 -$200-
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P -$185-
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws -$116-
GPU: Asus Radeon HD 5850 -$320-
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB -$55-
PSU: Antec TP-750 -$120-
Case: Antec 300 Illusion -$60-
ODD: Asus -$25-
HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus -$27-

I choose the 5850 for the GPU, it will perform on par with crossfired 5770s and is a better choice. There's still room to upgrade as that comes to just $1100. Here's a monitor for you to consider.
LCD: Samsung P2370 -$230-

bpeyzner

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for the help, I actually love that monitor. Let me ask you a question, why go with that specific MOBO over the other one i had picked?

Overall i think I like this build a lot, I think the only thing I would change is the case, simply put I want a case that looks really nice (i think i'm just crazzy haha).

jbakerlent

Distinguished
1) The mobos mostly the same, I don't think I saw yours when I was posting, it is very good as well. Cases vary in build quality - sometimes it's not entirely based on price, but on the manufacturer. If I had to choose between those, I'd take the 900. There's also the 902 for a bit more.

Edit: actually it's cheaper after MIR

Antec 902 -$90-