Want to build a Gaming Computer, please help!

Geeksire

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Hello everyone,

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Would be this week or during all this Summer.

SYSTEM USAGE: Since this build is SOLELY going to be for gaming: Gaming, Microsoft Work (and other software of that brand), and also browsing.

BUDGET RANGE: Will be around $1,200 (including the keyboard & mouse, and monitor)

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: www.newegg.com, most definitly the place I look at for the best prices

PARTS PREFERENCES: I was thinking of getting Nvidia and only Nvidia (no ATI) preferably a GTX 260 or even higher : D, CPU will be AMD (at least Quad-Core), and motherboard can be an Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI (EVGA is too expensive for me and I'm not very sure of Foxcon.) Also a Full-Tower for my build.

OVERCLOCKING: No overclocking for me, don't want to risk it.

SLI: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Not very sure on the monitor resolution, but if it can be a decent monitor over $180 through $230 ((with good resolution) maybe a 1920 X 1200)) I'll buy it.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want my computer to just be a gaming computer and nothing else. I would like to have a nice, quiet, cool computer that doesn't exhaust so much heat under stress, and I really don't want my computer to be tricked out with led-lights and all. I just want one high-end graphics card (in the price range) in my computer and nothing else. Thanks all.

P.S: By the way, this is my very first time building my computer so sorry if I left some stuff out. Thanks.

jbakerlent

Distinguished

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
jbakerlent recommended a very solid build, I agree except I'd make a few changes.

Save yourself a $100 dollars and get a different case and also have money for a mouse, keyboard, and a better PSU.

Antec 300 - $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

I'd also recommend getting a better PSU, as Nvidia recommends a 550W minimum for the GTX 470.

Seasonic 620W 80 Plus BRONZE Certified - $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

Also, same question as j, Why no ATI?

hitmanmoney

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
I agree with ati because you can get either a 5850 or 5870. Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the GTX 470 consume a lot of power and generate a lot of heat. My grammer sucks i know lol :) http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,2585-15.html Those are comparisons. I guess if you need cuda or nvidia 3d yeah but if you get a 5850 or 5870. You can get an antec 300 which would save a ton of cash. That money could be put towards better cooling. Better cooling equal more overclocking. Guess what i found 48 amps on the 12 volt rail that enough for 2 5850 in crossfire.

225w a piece 18+18=36 im gonna assume the phenom ii 125w all together that 46amps you got one bad mamma jamma :)

Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031&cm_re=antec_neo-_-17-371-031-_-Product

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

Yes but he specifically said NO to crossfire/sli.

-------

And to J I realize that but he also said "I really don't want my computer to be tricked out with led-lights and all" but I guess you can easily turn the led's off. Nonetheless it's a great case but I think he'd be better off with a sub $100 case if he's going for simple. Also it will save him some cash so that he can add performance.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
the 5850 will be a tight squeeze though in a 300 since its larger than the 470. And I chose a 470 over an ati for multible reasons.

1. heat doesn't matter it can operate at higher temps.

2.It has CUDA and 3d vision so just in case I might ever need that.

3. Drivers might make it a few percent better

4. It's said to be more future proof by the article on toms

5. It's Nvidia what else can I say?

Geeksire

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Thanks for all your replies guys I really appreciate it. I've been seeing that you want me to get ATI, but I just hate ATI for what it did to me with my previous computer I had. Took them nearly 3 months to send one card to me after one failed, and that one card finally arrived FAILED ON ME! I was outraged by ATI of what happened and just wanted my refund. I'm not saying there cards suck, it's just the luck I got in to.

But if you guys want me to get ATI, I'll try it again if it's worth it. I've heard that ATI focuses on Anti-Aliasing (hope I spelled it right) while the Nvidia cards focuses on a whole range of graphics, so not sure if I'm right on this.

The PSU that you were guys saying should be around 600W, am I right? I think that's my biggest trouble right now because I seriously don't know what to get when it comes to PSU.

Would I also need some fans for the CPU and the Graphics Card?

I also forgot to mention, when it comes to the cases, I would like it to be at least $120 or lower. If the card can fit then it's a yes for me.

Again, thanks for replies everybody. : D

jbakerlent

Distinguished
No, ATI doesn't just focus on AA (yes you spelled it right :) )

I would look up some benchmarks here or on anandtech to see how well the 5000 series performs compared to NVidia's two offerings, while also considering price.

Yes, a quality 600W 80+ PSU would power any single GPU.

So, for the case you need one that is full tower and has no LEDs as well?

Geeksire

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
For the tower, yes with no Led-Lights (if you can) and Full-Tower (for the future, I would like to make some improvements when I get the money.) I really don't want blinking lights, and I really don't want to show off my computer (not that type of person.)

I just want to have a Full-Tower, for future improvements, and I'm still thinking on which graphic card to get...

I've been doing a lot of thinking and have decided on getting the GTX 470, it's cheaper than the 5870 and runs pretty much...I wouldn't say better but better than the 5870.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

For sure the GTX 470 is a solid card so you're really not making a bad choice there, just paying a little more price for the performance, but not much.

As far as cases go there aren't many great full size cases for under $120 that aren't flashy either.

Heres a very good mid size tower that will provide ample space for all your components as well as future upgrades, also providing superior cooling and low noise levels.

Lian-Li - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112154

Geeksire

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Nice, nice! Thank you very much. Now lets see.

CPU:
* AMD Phenom II X4 955 -$160-

MOBO:
* Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3 -$90-

RAM:
* G.Skill Ripjaws -$116-

GPU:
* Gigabyte GTX 470 -$350-

HDD:
* Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB -$55-

PSU:
Seasonic -$85-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Case:
Lian-Li -$100-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811112154

ODD:
* Asus -$25-

LCD:
* Samsung P2370 -$230-

And it comes out to $1216, not bad! So is this good guys?

Geeksire

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
All right, I just need some other replies and I'm good to go (the keyboard and mouse I can just "steal" from my brother so no worries on that.)

I actually wanted to say something about the combo with the Graphics Card. It doesn't show me the combo in newegg, can somebody help me with this?

Also the PSU, I was thinking about getting this one since it's actually cheaper than the one above:
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply -$80-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Will this do or should I go with the other one even though it goes to -$90-

Geeksire

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Guys these keyboards and mouses are really expensive. Remember, I don't want a tricked out computer (even the keyboard and mouse.) I just want a "cheapo" keyboard and mouse, nothing else. Thanks for your replies though.

Oh and by the way, I'll just go with the AMD build. Tell me if it's good so I can buy it. : D

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Geeksire either build would be great but honestly the i5 750 build will outperform the other.

Not to mention it's less power hungry which will be good with a GTX 470!

Go with the i5 750 build, you won't regret it.