Sign in with
Your question

USB Cable extension

Last response: in Components
July 20, 2010 12:55:10 PM

Hello,

I sit about 6 feet from where pc sits and thus the "antennas" for my wireless keyboard and mouse are about 6 feet away as well. What I would like to do is bring the "antennas" closer to where I am sitting. Can I simply purchase a male to male USB cable (below) that will allow me to have a longer cord connected to my computer but have the "antennas" closer to where I am sitting

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

I dont think I could have worded this more awkardly then I did but I really hope I am able to get answer

More about : usb cable extension

July 20, 2010 3:43:55 PM

I think you want a male to female (verify by looking at your cable ends.
15 extra feet may drop voltage too much, do they have a 6 foot extension. I'd buy 1 to try out first. Have you tried to move the antennas, they like to be at the same level as the keyboard and mouse. also try setting them up or down(on edge)
m
l
July 20, 2010 5:21:46 PM

Thanks mhelm1

ya I meant male to female, copied the wrong one. But 15 feet is to long really?
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2010 5:35:31 PM

I'm not positive but at that price go ahead and buy two since it costs more to ship than to buy.
m
l
July 20, 2010 11:31:07 PM

I remember reading that the length limitation for USB cables is a total of six feet.
m
l
July 21, 2010 1:01:51 AM

From Wikipedia: The maximum unpowered USB 2.0 cable is 5m, or 16.4ft. You can get a longer "cable" by using a powered hub and multiple long cords.
m
l
!