First hard drive over heated then new one over heated faster

mindscrape

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I upgraded a 6 year old computer a friend gave me. I installed a 1 terabyte sata drive a year ago. It never worked well. One very hot day (this summer ) the drive failed completely. I went to the store and bought a 60 gig solid state hd and a 500 gig regular drive. I installed them in the hard drive bay , plenty of room. With in a week the hard drive started to show problems but the solid state drive was fine. I felt the regular hard drive since these problems seem to happen when it gets hot in my room and the whole drive was very hot , then it failed completely. I took it back to the store where i exchanged it and now I will not install it till I know how to keep this one cool or even why it over heats in the first place. It seems to start overheating at the circuit board then heats up the rest of the drive. I tested the 5 and 12 volts at another plug running parallel to the one running my drive and it actually measures 5.24 v and 12.25 v. I do not know what else to do.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Does your 6 year old case have active cooling in the form of a fan to keep the HDD's cool? Some of the more basic cases are missing this feature. If the fan is in existence make sure it is functioning and make sure the blades are free of dust. Dust on the fan blades severely inhibit the fans ability to pump air.

mindscrape

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

brand uneec probably a no brand but the ripple thing is making sense because my voltmeter jumps around +- .05v when the hard drive is under load and as the other poster said i did not realize i needed active cooling. so I am going to the store to buy powersuply and cooling fans.

Thank you.

mindscrape

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

I think both posts have a good point. This computer has had from its inception a IDE drive and probably slower rpm. Even thought the mother board can take ATA the pc did not come with active cooling. So now i have some more parts to buy

Thank you.