Intel issues recall for all Sandy Bridge chipsets

bilbat

Splendid
Generally, at the start of each generation, I post what I consider to be my 'Moore's Law' article.

If you do not consider yourself extremely technically competent, if you resent doing OS reinstalls, if you have no overwhelming actual reason to be messing about with brand-spanking-new technologies, take a deep breath, and watch for a few months. Last gen, we started out with PCIe bus termination problems that had the competent doing SMT surgery, and the rest either screwed, or destroying equipment...

Take a clue from the server guys - they don't run out a put a crapperload of new-tech on-line because it's there; they pick out a couple prospects and set up some testbeds, so they can see whether it's provident to start even thinking 'upgrade'!

But you're right - no one listens anyway; they wind up blaming the MOBO makers, Intel, AMD, whoever - and they get a real quick lesson about the hardware being obsolete when you tear the tape off the box.

...good today, junk tomorrow and worthless next week, in the never ending circle of the pc hardware bottomless money pit of losing value...

D

Deleted member 217926

First big gaffe from Intel since 93........oh well. Not like by April I would not have had a reason to at least do a good cleaning, now I get to do a REAL good cleaning. :kaola:

At least I had my SSD already connected to the SATA 6 port.

And who knows I may get a free upgrade and some class action money. This would have happened right when I had the money to upgrade damnit lol. I ALMOST got an i7 950, but I am still glad I waited. My 2600K is amazingly fast even with its "issues".

sockpirate

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Hmmmm i thought this would explain more about the instability of the BIOS versions. Rolling reboots and BIOS checksum errors were a constant thing until i started using F7e version with my ud7. Hmmmm

ScardyBob

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

I'm affected by this recall and I have no problem with that. Its part of being an early adopter. Also, I don't see how a defective chipset is not the fault of the MB/Chipset manufacturer? They should get blamed for sending out a faulty piece of hardware and ensure that all people affected either get full refunds or replacements.