Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC Hangs during gameplay.

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2010 9:34:53 AM

Just to get it out of the way, here are my specs.

Mobo: Biostar TPower N750
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 500+ Black Edition
RAM: 4x1GB Kingston HyperX DDR2-800
VGA: BFGTech Nvidia GeForce 9600GT
HDD(s): 1x WD 1TB (7200RPM) : 2x WD 250GB (7200RPM) : (All SATAII)
ODD(s): 1x LITE-ON DVD-RW : 1x LITE-ON DVD-ROM : (ALL PATA)
PSU: 620W SeaSonic

Now with that out of the way, here is the issue I'm experiencing. During gameplay (Europa Universalis 3, Fallout 3, Napoleon and Empire Total War, Splinter Cell Conviction, etc.) my PC hangs after some random amount of time. Anywhere between 5 minutes and several hours. I have run a memtest and it sporadically comes up with one error (I've seen it twice in ~30 hours of testing). Additionally I am unable to isolate it to a single stick (put one single stick into mobo at a time and ran memtest for several hours 10+ passes). I have tried disable my Realtek audio device and this did not solve the problem. I have tried any/every combination of RAM I can think of, this does not solve the problem. I have run prime-95 for several hours with no errors. I have run OCCT for several hours (in CPU, GPU, and PSU tests) with no problems. Additionally I have updated to the latest BIOS and Drivers for everything in my PC.

All of those seem to tell me that I may have some sort of memory timing error. However, all of the RAM is set at the default settings programmed into the SPDs (I have tried doing this both manually and using the AUTO setting in the BIOS). On top of this I am able to resolve (so far it's been about 5 hours) this problem by removing the VGA card and using the on-board graphics.

If anyone has any insight/tips/advice it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Before someone asks me to try replacing the PSU, this unit is brand new. I bought it because I thought the PSU may be failing. It replaced a 550W Rosewill.

More about : hangs gameplay

May 15, 2010 5:49:34 PM

memtest it with atleast 2 full passes to ensure the memory is stable.
m
l
May 15, 2010 5:57:14 PM

ubernoobie said:
memtest it with atleast 2 full passes to ensure the memory is stable.

I don't mean to be offensive, but did you even read my post? If you're not actually going to read it please don't respond.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 15, 2010 11:26:51 PM

With all what you have done it really sounds like a GPU problem. Is it still under warranty? If so, RMA it from BFG or try another card if you can borrow it from someone. If this resolves the problem, you found the actual cause of freezes. Also, run driver sweeper when changing drivers.
May 16, 2010 4:20:27 PM

I agree with yyk71200. Sounds like your GPU is overheating and locking up your PC.

I actually think you isolated it when you ran onbd graphics with no further issues. Good job!:) 
m
l
May 16, 2010 9:38:44 PM

arthurh said:
I agree with yyk71200. Sounds like your GPU is overheating and locking up your PC.

I actually think you isolated it when you ran onbd graphics with no further issues. Good job!:) 

Thanks, unfortunately as much as I would like that to be correct (the overheating part) I'm not sure it's quite that simple. I set up a house fan to blow into the case (right on the vga card) and it still locked up. However, I tried underclocking it, and it became stable for several hours. I left it running and I came back to a BSOD however. stop code 116. Caused by ntvlddmkm.sys

So I'm leaning towards a failure here, maybe vram?

Doesn't matter now though, I've bought a new card, as well as a few other goodies while I was at it.

VGA: Sapphire ATI Radeon 5850
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
ODD: LG Blu-Ray Reader/DVD-Burner
Case: HAF 932

Also bought a Tuniq 120 Extreme and a Scythe fan controller. Should be almost like having a new system.

Thanks, everyone, for confirming what I already suspected. I hope to stay here and be a helpful/contributing member of the community.
m
l
May 16, 2010 9:41:57 PM

Best answer selected by JimRaynor56.
m
l
!