Sign in with
Your question

Gaming and Video Editing Rig - 2k

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2010 10:30:30 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Now

BUDGET RANGE: $2,000 cap shipped

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Video Editing - multiple Adobe CS5 products at once (PS, Illustrator, Premiere and Encore all open with maximum performance)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard and mouse, have a WD caviar black 1TB HDD unopened and gtg, worried about SSDs because they are still relatively small and the CS5 master suite plus games and OS take a lot of space, looking to replace a Dell 24 monitor or add a 24 and run a pair if I can 'til the Dell dies (on a Dell provided refurbished now from warranty), need OS, have all other software.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: usually use Newegg but open COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Open, I work in a hot environment so heat is an issue (no Nvidia Fermi GPUs, etc), air cooling preferred

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Open

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Currently run at 1900x1200, never watch movies on computer so only resolution concern is gaming/editing

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: All I care about is performance. I think i am a good candidate for hyperthreading so was angling toward i7 line of processors (930?). Is it worth it?

Appreciate your feedback.
May 15, 2010 3:55:19 PM

jbakerlent said:
So does the budget include the monitor? This build, without a monitor comes to about $1440.

CPU:
  • Intel Core i7 930 -$289-
    MOBO:
  • Asus P6X58D-E -$240-
    RAM:
  • Mushkin Enhanced Blackline -$180-
    GPU:
  • XFX Radeon HD 5870 -$400-
    PSU:
  • Antec TP-750 -$120-
    Case:
  • Antec 300 Illusion -$60-
    ODD:
  • Asus -$25-
    HSF:
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus -$27-
  • Windows 7 Home Premium -$100-

Ask any questions you have as well.

• Thanks for your response jbakerlent,

1. If I can fit the 5870 into a mid-tower case, I'd prefer the Antec 900, unless there are other considerations that favor the illusion 300 (other than a slight price difference).

2. I was also looking at the 5870, but had chosen this one, figuring since I will run two monitors for a while I could experiment with eyefinity. XFX is a good manufacturer, do all of their products get the 2x lifetime warranty? Is this card the best choice for me if I am going that route?

I know Adobe recommends the Nvidia cards for CUDA, and I know ATI is currently still a clear benchmark and heat favorite. Guess since I am a gamer too I have to give up the CUDA benefits for overall system performance.

3. I still need a monitor recommendation, and the budget includes the monitor so we're good so far - really need a 24"+ and am willing to pay more for quality. The Dell 2407WFP that I have used for three years has been amazing, but I have read that other companies have caught up and prices have come down quite a bit. Would appreciate some recommendations in this area.

4. Am I good clearing the RAM heatspreader fans for the CM212 if I choose the Mushkins jbaker recommended? Are those the best voltage timings I can get for this system?

Thanks again.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    May 15, 2010 5:01:43 PM

After some research, it looks like the best pick for a 24 inch monitor is the Asus here.
    m
    l
    May 15, 2010 5:16:28 PM

So here is the existing build so far:

CPU:

* Intel Core i7 930 -$289-

MOBO:

* Asus P6X58D-E -$240-

RAM:

* Mushkin Enhanced Blackline -$180-

GPU:

* HD-587X-ZNDC Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) XXX Edition 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity -$430-

PSU:

* Antec TP-750 -$120-

Case:

* Antec 900 Mid-$100-

ODD:

* Asus -$25-

HSF:

* Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus -$27-

MONITOR:
    * ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" - $230

* Windows 7 Home Premium -$100

This puts me in the $1750 neighborhood, which is under budget. Still have room for a primary boot HDD - if I were to go non-SSD for now, what is my best bet? Was considering the Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $200

Looking for final blessings, or changes!

Thanks in advance!
    m
    l
    May 15, 2010 5:28:25 PM

Nvidia isn't that bad you know. If you don't mind the power consumption the 470 gtx is a good deal even if you don't care about cuda(which you do) or 3d vision. You might want to consider it. They may be hotter than atis but they are able to operate at higher temps than the atis.

As for the hard drive. It would be faster, cheaper and larger(memory wise) to buy another caviar black and raid0 them. And if you like speed more than your wallet ssd's are still incomparebly faster than raptors.
    m
    l
    May 15, 2010 5:53:12 PM

The Raid 0 option is a great suggestion, somebody, and I appreciate it. If it will truly be faster then I will go that route. I mentioned earlier in the thread that was concerned about the SSDs being too small to be worth it at reasonable price points - does anyone have a link to an SSD at 100g+ for a reasonable price?
    m
    l
    May 15, 2010 6:33:33 PM

eurm lol ssd's and reasonable price don't really fit in the same sentence. And anyways the 100+gb have about the same price per gb as the other drives.
    m
    l
    !