Sign in with
Your question

Its been years, and looking to upgrade all

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2010 11:36:43 AM

Been years since ive rebuilt (i have a MSI k8n neo4, 1G Geil Ram and 7800gt) and ive been looking to start anew. Dont play too many games, but i will be getting SC2, and might wanna try crysis. Plus im on my computer at least twice a day, wit being back to school, i want something more relevant. Motherboard and RAM is where im most stuck on

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within this month or June

BUDGET RANGE: Keep it around $1000-1100 at most

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: NewEgg. I also have my job for discount (bestbuy)

PARTS PREFERENCES: No parts preferance but i want to SLI eventually, and i will prolly water cool again

OVERCLOCKING: this is tough. ive had little success overclocking. i mean, i would LIKE to, but im not good at it. if theres a mobo that could do it for me and remain stable, then perhaps. (When i did overclock, i would use the "program" or whatever u would like to call it, to do it for me but at higher clocks it would stay. I attributed this to the RAM i had i would assume.)

SLI: maybe to start, but eventually yes so think of this as Yes.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: to be modest, 1600x1200 as ive never been on anything 19' or higher, or even near that resolution. so there to start, but maybe 1920-1080 or so. A decent-good monitor than can play games at about 20-21" is what im looking for.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have a Windows 7ultimate disk ready to use. I like to watercool (silence is key). Again, limited overclocking, but if theres a mobo that has software that can do it, and stable as well, then its possible. Not to familiar wit SSD's, but open to input

Thanks alot as well for any advice

More about : years upgrade

May 15, 2010 11:55:23 AM

When you mention SLI, does that mean you don't want an ATI card? ATI offers far better value at your price point and usage. Anyways, here's a build should work well for you. This comes in at almost exactly $1100 before any rebates.

CPU:
  • AMD Phenom II X4 955 -$160-
    MOBO:
  • Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 -$150-
    RAM:
  • G.Skill Ripjaws -$116-
    GPU:
  • Asus Radeon HD 5770 -$163-
    HDD:
  • Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB -$55-
    PSU:
  • Antec TP-750 -$120-
    Case:
  • Antec 300 Illusion -$60-
    LCD:
  • Samsung P2370 -$230-
    ODD:
  • Asus -$25-
    HSF:
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus -$27-

See what you think.
    m
    l
    May 15, 2010 1:57:02 PM

Hmm if i understand u correctly: dun use software/programs for clocks - just do the old fashion OC via BIOS ^^ Since Crysis might be on the table i'd hit a HD 5850 as well Baker's config i would tweak to a 870 board, a 600-650 80+ PSU from Antec/OCZ and a HD 5850 in hehe
    m
    l
    Related resources
    May 15, 2010 2:35:39 PM

What batuchka and jbakerlent said.
    They're right on the money.
    m
    l
    May 15, 2010 7:53:15 PM

When i typed this out, i hadnt actually looked at any PC mags or any kind of hardware research, and after doing so today, i decided to throw that "pro" Nvidia thing i had and be more open minded. so in a essence, yes, i would consider ATI as after looking at the reviews of it, u cant deny that their putting out some top pieces of hardware, for decent price. As far as the mobo and processor, would i be losing out as by going the AMD route ? not familiar with the Phenom line - im way back to the 3700+ san diego days lol
    m
    l
    May 15, 2010 11:23:06 PM

batuchka said:
    Hmm if i understand u correctly: dun use software/programs for clocks - just do the old fashion OC via BIOS ^^ Since Crysis might be on the table i'd hit a HD 5850 as well Baker's config i would tweak to a 870 board, a 600-650 80+ PSU from Antec/OCZ and a HD 5850 in hehe

Yes, this is a good option as well.
    m
    l
    !