No video with both 5870 and 8800GTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suprosa

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Hello,
I went to play on my family's 42" TV with my computer. I hooked it up through HDMI and after playing on it for about an hour and a half, I lost video signal. My keyboard and mouse lights turned off (an indication that the computer will not receive anything I type/do). The gpu, the Radeon XFX 5870 1GB, started to spin its fan at what I assume was 100%. It was pumping out tons of air, but this air was not hot. It was cool. So I try to turn the machine off using the buttons on the case (Antec 1200), neither the power or reset button worked. So I turned the computer off using the power supply switch (Corsair HX850w). I power it back on and still had no display, and the gpu still spun at 100%. So I switch the video cable from HDMI to DSub (with DVI adapter). Still no signal. So then I move the machine back downstairs to my computer desk. I switch the 5870 out for my eVGA 8800 GTS 320mb from my other machine. I plug the machine into my monitor, and receive no video still (through DVI).
Here are my specs:
XFX Radeon 5870 1GB
MSi 790FX-GD70
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
Corsair HX 850w
Corsair H50 push-pull
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Antec 1200 case
8GB of OCZ DDR3 HPC Reaper 1600 mhz (4x2GB)

The CPU was NOT overclocked when this happened.
The GPU has NEVER been overclocked.
The ram is designed for 1600 mhz and 7-7-7-24 timings. I had it at 1333 mhz and 8-8-8-24 timings.

What is wrong? :/

Suprosa

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Okay, thankfully I have 4 PCI-e slots... I was using slot 3 (the second primary slot), because of the H50, it is too close to the top slot (the 1st primary slot).
Anyway, I moved to slot 2 (3rd primary), and it didn't work again. I tried to fit it into slot 4 (4th primary) and the wires plugging into the mobo seem to sit too high for the gpu to slide into the slot all the way.
I am about to attempt to remove the H50 grill/fan and let it hang to see if the 1st slot will give me anything. But I am afraid to do this because the fan that comes with the H50 was spinning incredibly slow. I don't want to ruin my CPU...

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
If it didn't work in the 2nd OR 3rd slot, then its probably not the slots, and that takes us somewhere else entirely. I would try resetting your CMOS through the jumper, and/or removing the system battery from your Mobo to make sure its not just a BIOS setting that got screwed up.

Suprosa

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Oh my bad, I failed to mention, I have reset the CMOS a few times (the 790FX-GD70 has a button for this). I have used it before when I have messed up ram settings in the past, so I know it works when pressed. This has not helped fix the problem either.
What is the next step?

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Hmm.. might still be worth pulling the battery to completely reset everything. Past that, if you still can't get anything out of the PC- try the cards in another PC to make sure you didn't fry them both by some freaky chance:p. Do you still get lights on the case and fans spinning up and everything?

Suprosa

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I am about to test the gpu's in another case... But the case lights do come on, as do lights on the mobo. All the fans spin up, and I am pretty sure I can hear the HDD spinning/thinking as well. The PSU fan spins, as does the GPU fans. I'll post what happens with the other case.

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Last time this happened to me, i unpluged the 24pin cable for a few seconds and when it was re-pluged everything was working.
Reason = unknown
BUT i've seen this happening on many (not tens, but more than a couple) systems.

Suprosa

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Okay, I tried each stick of ram by itself (with the 8800 gts plugged in). Nothing really changed. Though I did manage to test all 4 sticks without the monitor plugged in, *facepalm*, so I had to repeat the whole process. No display still then lol.
Sorry for the slow update, I stuck the 5870 in my Antec Sonata III case. A nuisance to fit inside! But it fits, barely lol. Anyway, the 500w psu in that case did not cut it (I think I already knew that, tried this once when I first got the card). I am going to try a different computer with a 700w psu, that I know can handle the 5870 (two even actually, that was a fine time).
I will also try the 24 pin pull out.
Update to come! :p

Suprosa

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Okay, 5870 is up and running in the other machine, seems to be fine. Installing drivers in that machine (Had Radeon 4890 in it a moment ago). 5870 seems to be running a little hot, maybe? Not sure, this is in a NZXT Beta EVO case with only two fans (didn't put optional fans on yet). So the air flow is non existent at the moment.
On another note, the 24 pin pull out didn't work sadly.
Where do I go from here? :p

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Well, its not the GPU, and its not the RAM. PSU seems to be working still (might be worth trying IT with another machine as well). That points to either a Mobo or CPU problem. The Mobo is most likely. If you can, try both the PSU and the CPU in another PC- that will pin it straight to your Mobo.

Suprosa

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Gonna try CPU in another computer possibly. I am almost positive I have a mobo failure. As I now have a loud, solid beep sound from the mobo. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. Never stops until I turn it off. Didn't do that before. Mobo failure?

Also, yeah just make sure that PSU works in another machine, or pull the PSU from a working machine and try it on your board. Sometimes a failing PSU can seem to act with one setup up, but not another, and then stops working all together. Of course in the other build it's unstable because it's dying. Had that before. Drove me nuts the last time because I bought another motherboard for my backup machine when I didn't need too.

Suprosa

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Okay some more updates, cleared CMOS with jumpers, removed battery as well. Tried 2 sticks of ram. Did not post.
Tried all 4 sticks of ram in another computer. That computer worked without a hitch.
GPU's still going strong in other computers.
The beeping sound has ceased (after CMOS clear, I think?).
I have some pretty nice wire management going on at the moment, so pulling out the PSU is gonna be a real pain, I have a friend coming over in maybe two hours with a voltage tester. Gonna see if the PSU is operating properly that way I guess. May just pull it out anyway, sigh lol.
Looked at the manual to see what the lights on the mobo indicate. Everything seems normal, will have to do more reading, I skimmed it real quick. Will update on that.
To me its looking more and more like my mobo died.

:edit to address a few questions: The CPU testing will have to wait a little while, I'm going to order some thermal paste for that.
I did test the ram sticks individually and in pairs.
I will have to look up the MSi warranty stuff. No idea how their system works.
Also, just for a little background, this computer has been running for almost a year now (with minor upgrades along the way, 4850 -> 5870, stock cooler -> H50), this is the first time its had an issue I don't feel directly responsible for (incorrectly clocking ram or cpu lol).

Suprosa

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
lol, makes me sad if it is true. It's my third one of the same model. First one to fail on me. It is my 3rd of 4 MSi boards. I generally like their stuff now. Oh well, everything has a chance of failure. I am going to have to invest time in warranty research I guess. But not before I test things further! Science!
Also, just want to make it clear, I greatly appreciate the guidance and help you guys have provided. I am glad I came to Tom's forums for assistance! :hello:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS