Sign in with
Your question

Transferring all data from old HDD to new HDD

Last response: in Storage
June 29, 2012 9:31:30 AM

Hello,

I purchased a new hard drive because I keep getting bad sectors on my old one, every few months, and I know eventually the drive is going to fail. Can I transfer all data from the old drive to the new drive, including OS, and just pull the old drive?

Will the bad sectors potentially write bad data to my new hard-drive?

Also I was gonna just format and start a fresh install of Windows, but have misplaced my discs, I still have s/n# on a sticker for installation, but downloading it is a pain in the butt.

Which would be a better solution if either?
a c 82 G Storage
June 30, 2012 12:48:19 PM

What hard disk did you buy? A free tool to transfer all data from the old to the new drive may be available. I would also download and burn the Windows disc just in case a reinstallation or repair is required.
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2012 12:28:05 AM

This is the hard drive I purchased. http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern...

I ended up installing linuxmint on it, however still spend most of my time using win7 on the going bad hard drive and get BSOD's every so often. I downloaded a copy of win7 iso of the version which i have installed, and made a bootable usb drive, which ended up not working, when i boot from usb it starts to install windows then says it is missing a driver it needs, and I have no idea which driver that may be, and it gives me no indication of what it is either.

So totay I ended up buying a 10pack of dvd+r's, downloaded a tool for creating a windows install disc from microsoft, the first dvd failed writing at 34%. I tried again after closing all programs and used a new DVD, the burn went through, then i tried to install from the dvd, however after booting via the dvd drive, it just hits a black screen and does nothing, while I listen to my drives buzz uncontrollably.

Gave up trying to install windows for now. I don't understand how windows, is so much freaking harder to install than linux. Heck I would use linux exclusively if I didn't have a ton of games that I want to have access to. While many of them may work on Linux via VM or Wine etc, it was an exhausting several hours to get just a single one of my games to run on linux.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
July 8, 2012 1:22:53 PM

If you downloaded a Windows 7 ISO file, you can use a tool like ImgBurn to burn a DVD at 1x speed (it takes longer, but it should work better).
m
l
July 8, 2012 9:22:26 PM

Used imgburn, apparently the slowest my drive can write is 4x, however the burn worked perfectly. Thanks a ton, as I am leaving this message on my fresh installation of windows 7, on the new hard drive. Now to the lengthy task of installing updates for drivers etc.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
July 9, 2012 12:10:00 PM

Glad you got Windows 7 installed.
m
l
!