Hi,

First off here´s my system (new bought about 2 weeks ago):

- I5 - 3570K
- Asus P8Z77 V Motherboard
- 8Gb Corsair
- Evga GTX 670
- HAF X
- 750W Corsair
(I´m re-using the rest from a old HP computer including my HDD 7200Rpm -320 GB)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so today I assembled everything out of the box only for a parts check, and found out that my boot time is enourmous, given the fact that I have a very modern computer .. Do you guys think the problem is in the Hard Drive? Should I get a SSD?

- If so can you suggest me a SSD drive... not so expensive... something around 50€

- And I´ve already installed windows on my HDD if I get a SSD how do I pass it to the SSD.??? :??: 

Many thanks! ;) 

More about : long booting times ssd

a c 82 G Storage
June 30, 2012 1:51:45 PM

How long is enormous? Does it take longer to boot than the old computer?
m
l
June 30, 2012 2:11:42 PM

GhislainG said:
How long is enormous? Does it take longer to boot than the old computer?

Hi, thanks for the reply :D 

It's about the same as the old one, right now i'm sleeving everything so I can't measure but I was hoping it would boot a lot faster since I have better parts...
m
l
Related resources
a c 82 G Storage
June 30, 2012 2:42:09 PM

You have the same hard disk and it can't be much faster just because the CPU has to wait for the hard disk. Even your old system had to wait for it. Did you set the controller in IDE or AHCI mode?

Read http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-benchmark-revie... and then check pricing in your country. Just clone the hard disk to the new SSD, but first make sure that your controller is set to AHCI mode for best performance.
m
l
a c 125 G Storage
June 30, 2012 3:23:08 PM

make sure your mb bios is update there new code on asus mb for cpu and ram. in windows use the ms-config go under option and turn of gui boot. if your using an old hard drive did you boot into safe mode and remove all the old mb drivers?? if not you may be loading two sets of mb chipset drivers. if you use an old hard drive you should go into safe mode and remove everything under windows system and let the mb reload the drivers. also use the newer chipser drivers from intel web page. and the newest sound and network drivers.to speed up the mb boot turn off the spash screen and turn down the time the mb waits for you to hit the del key to go into windows. also under boot switch from a two bios boot. the efi bios or the older bios to one of them. on my sabertooth i turned off the older bios and have the efi bios as the main bios boot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/plushdragon/1206...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/plushdragon/1206...
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
June 30, 2012 4:44:44 PM

Boot time is broken down into to segments:
.. The Post. This is totally dependent on MB and how long it takes to check system. Many of the newer MBs have an option in bios to speed up this time.
.. Load Operating system. From time "staqrt Loading Operasting system" to that little spinning ball stops and you can open your First program. Is primarilly determined by the HDD - THE BIGGEST bottleneck. And difference between users on how many start up apps are loaded.

An SSD will Not decrease post time, But dramatically cuts down on time to Load Operating system - This is highly dependent on 4 K Random reads which are anywheres from 20x to 50 X times faster than a HDD.

Recommended size min size is 60/64 gig but I recommend 120/128 gig SSD.
A 60/64 gig is really only about 51/55 Gigs of usabable space.

As To "Brand", My preference is the Curcial M4 or samsung 830.
Really in a pinch for Money, then Agility III or Muchkins Enhanced. These are Not my choice as they tend to have higher "user complaints" and there performance is really inline with SATA III.

m
l
July 7, 2012 12:20:38 AM

Sorry everyone for taking a long time to respond, exams are taking away my free time :D 

Many many thanks ghislaing, smorizio and retiredchief ;) 

Smorizio did what you said, many thanks for the image links ;)  but I found out the problem I had was because I used as my second hard-drive, a hp hd0000 (personal media drive), as the boot disk...I'm going to change the HDD and try your steps ;) 

Retired chief, many thanks for the help, I will be getting a SSD soon, as you suggested crucial m4, however I have not much money right now, university :pfff:  , so I'll probably get a smaller Ssd 60..gb, for windows only and keep the other two HDD, for general use and projects.

I know this may be a noob question but is it very hard to sort out 1 ssd and 2 hdd, and getting one to boot from windows and getting maya, autocad, and games to the HDD's ?

Many thanks everyone! :) 
m
l

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
July 7, 2012 12:37:40 AM

No problem, 1 SSD + 2 HDD.
1) Disconnect the two HDDs, connect the SSD.
2) Turn On Computer, enter Bios and set/verify that Hard drive control is set to AHCI.
3) Install windows, Let windows do it's updates, Install any needed drivers, then install programs. Programs that you use infrequently, chang path to HDD (D-drive). I make a folder called Peograms on the D drive and re-direct the install there.
4) Every thing OK, power off and reconnect HDD>

Some tips to save space.
A) Disable Hibernation (save SSD space equal to your Ram)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730
B ) Manage your swap file (also called virtual memory and page file). Set min and max to the same value (try 1024 mb), You can also move this to the HDD (Select None for C-drive, then set Min/mak to 1024 mb on D-drive. This save an amount of space equal to 1 1/2 x ram - 1 gig (ie 8 gigs ram, then you save 11 gigs of SSD space) Of coarse if you move it to the HDD than you save all of it.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Change...
C) Disable (or limit space ) Restore points can use. Over time this can be several gigabytes as each restor point takes about 300 MB)
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3187/disable-system-rest...

One final suggestion - USE WINDOWS back up (Located in control panel, System & Security). It will make an image of your SSD, you can direct it to either HDD. When done it will prompt yopu to make a bootable repair DVD.
If or When you need to re-install windows, Just stick the repair disk in and select repair, repair from image file. 10->15 Mins later, walla, you reboot to an exact condition as when you made the image. NO re-install windows, No reload drivers, All windows updates are there (upto the point of when you made the image) and all programs are there.
July 9, 2012 12:23:24 AM

Best answer selected by Starmap.
m
l
!