Just a question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 4, 2004 5:33:01 AM

Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
technology and model making skills.

--
Linus

More about : question

Anonymous
June 4, 2004 5:33:02 AM

Linus wrote:
> Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
> only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
> same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
> 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
> technology and model making skills.

not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older games).

I just started to play prince of persia and it seems like they
captured the spirit better (I just started).

erik
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 12:05:49 PM

Erik Steffl wrote:

> Linus wrote:
> > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
> > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
> > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
> > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
> > technology and model making skills.
>
> not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and

Pretty good *and* ugly? OK. :)

> animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
> blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
> better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
> arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older games).

The blocky structure isn't a 'feature', it's a limitation. If the
graphics are done right, it should be reasonably obvious how far
any given gap is. I found several places in TR 1 that had that
problem. Even with that blocky structure, there are a few places
where it was hard to judge distance. There were a few gaps, not
many, but a few that looked to me to be impossible, but weren't,
and vice versa.

As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they were
updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
most, IMO.

-- G
Related resources
June 4, 2004 12:36:23 PM

I'd have to agree. It was a bit trickier playing TROAD than any of the other
games. Never really gave it a thought other than I didn't think the controls
responded well. If they could only improve the 'look' of the game and
characters without losing anything of the old version... Thanks for your
reply!

--
Linus

"Erik Steffl" <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Linus wrote:
> > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5
again,
> > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
> > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
> > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
> > technology and model making skills.
>
> not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
> animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
> blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
> better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
> arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older games).
>
> I just started to play prince of persia and it seems like they
> captured the spirit better (I just started).
>
> erik
June 4, 2004 12:39:58 PM

I definitely agree with you! I can only hope Eidos monitors this group and
takes up the idea. Thanks for the reply!

--
Linus

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Erik Steffl wrote:
> >
> > Linus wrote:
> > > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5
again,
> > > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game
play,
> > > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play
the
> > > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
> > > technology and model making skills.
> >
> > not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
>
> Pretty good *and* ugly? OK. :)
>
> > animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
> > blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
> > better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
> > arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older
games).

> The blocky structure isn't a 'feature', it's a limitation. If the
> graphics are done right, it should be reasonably obvious how far
> any given gap is. I found several places in TR 1 that had that
> problem. Even with that blocky structure, there are a few places
> where it was hard to judge distance. There were a few gaps, not
> many, but a few that looked to me to be impossible, but weren't,
> and vice versa.
>
> As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they were
> updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
> they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
> the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
> not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
> seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
> most, IMO.
>
> -- G
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 1:07:17 PM

Linus wrote:

> Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
> only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
> same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
> 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
> technology and model making skills.

If they all came in a box set on two or three CDs/DVDs, with the gold
editions and stuff, probably yes. If I had to buy all five separately,
probably not. It would be nice to see the old games with shiny
graphics, but not that nice.
June 4, 2004 1:07:18 PM

I just had to ask this because I'm playing TR2 again for at least the 10th
time, hahahaha! I have a daughter that loves the game and every now and
again we have to play through the entire 5 original versions. She has yet to
complete TR6 though. She doesn't like it as much as the older ones.

--
Linus

"Stephen Williams" <steve1.williams@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Linus wrote:
> >
> > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5
again,
> > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
> > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
> > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
> > technology and model making skills.
>
> If they all came in a box set on two or three CDs/DVDs, with the gold
> editions and stuff, probably yes. If I had to buy all five separately,
> probably not. It would be nice to see the old games with shiny
> graphics, but not that nice.
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 10:48:08 PM

"Erik Steffl" <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Linus wrote:
> > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5
again,
> > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
> > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
> > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
> > technology and model making skills.
>
> not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
> animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
> blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
> better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
> arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older games).
>
> I just started to play prince of persia and it seems like they
> captured the spirit better (I just started).
>
> erik

ahhh PoP!!! That game is the pits! I thought it would be wonderful, but
urghhhh.....geez. Well I won't tell you y i hated it erik, i'll leave that
up to you to find out.

:p

Meanwhile, when you've played some more/ finished it, let us know how you
get on....
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 10:55:49 PM

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Erik Steffl wrote:

<<<<snip>>> As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they were
> updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
> they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
> the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
> not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
> seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
> most, IMO.
>
> -- G

But how many diehard fans of 'Psycho' went to see - let alone buy - the
recently released 'modern' version?
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 10:55:50 PM

Dragoncarer wrote:
> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> Erik Steffl wrote:
>>>
> <<<<snip>>> As to the original question... I'd buy them again if
> they were
>> updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
>> they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
>> the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
>> not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
>> seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
>> most, IMO.
>>
>> -- G
>
> But how many diehard fans of 'Psycho' went to see - let alone buy -
> the recently released 'modern' version?

ME!
McG. :)
June 4, 2004 10:55:50 PM

I still need to check that one out.

--
Linus

"Dragoncarer" <dc@haha.noflames> wrote in message

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Erik Steffl wrote:
> > >
> <<<<snip>>> As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they
were
> > updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
> > they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
> > the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
> > not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
> > seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
> > most, IMO.
> >
> > -- G
>
> But how many diehard fans of 'Psycho' went to see - let alone buy - the
> recently released 'modern' version?

Anonymous
June 4, 2004 11:18:55 PM

Gary Mitchell wrote:
> Erik Steffl wrote:
>
>>Linus wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
>>>only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
>>>same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
>>>'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
>>>technology and model making skills.
>>
>> not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
>
> Pretty good *and* ugly? OK. :)

_technically_ pretty good, as in quality of graphic engine, ugly as
in not pretty, she has eyelashes and you can see under the jacket etc.
now but overall impression is not that impressive (IMO) and the
animations are complete disaster

>>animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
>>blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
>>better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
>>arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older games).
>

> The blocky structure isn't a 'feature', it's a limitation. If the

compare the gameplay of previous games and TRAOD, the previous games
have the arcade feeling, TRAOD does not.

> graphics are done right, it should be reasonably obvious how far
> any given gap is. I found several places in TR 1 that had that
> problem. Even with that blocky structure, there are a few places
> where it was hard to judge distance. There were a few gaps, not
> many, but a few that looked to me to be impossible, but weren't,
> and vice versa.

yes, and then there was this nasty one place where it looked you need
to grab and she fell down but without grabbing she made it, or even
nastier place in india (TRIII?) where you could, after 100 - 200 tries
get back to where you were not supposed to be able to get back, the jump
around the corner sort of... nothing is perfect. But the blocks give you
certain about space, how far things are etc. which is hard to see
without the blocks. I'm not going as far as saying bring the blocks back
but they had certain functionality and I guess it would be a challenge
to build same levels in non-blocky world...

> As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they were
> updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
> they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
> the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
> not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
> seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
> most, IMO.

yeah, we all would buy it, that wasn't my point:-)

erik
June 5, 2004 12:37:43 AM

"Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
> only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
> same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
> 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
> technology and model making skills.

I'd settle for them just keeping the games up to date with the hardware,
such as Direct 3D and Direct Sound compatibility for TR1.
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 2:35:58 AM

"Linus" wrote

> I definitely agree with you! I can only hope Eidos monitors this group and
> takes up the idea. Thanks for the reply!
>
> --
> Linus
>
> "Gary Mitchell" wrote in message

> > Erik Steffl wrote:

> again,
> play,
> the
> > >
> > > not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
> >
> > Pretty good *and* ugly? OK. :)
> >
> > > animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
> > > blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one
looks
> > > better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
> > > arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older
> games).
> >
> > The blocky structure isn't a 'feature', it's a limitation. If the
> > graphics are done right, it should be reasonably obvious how far
> > any given gap is. I found several places in TR 1 that had that
> > problem. Even with that blocky structure, there are a few places
> > where it was hard to judge distance. There were a few gaps, not
> > many, but a few that looked to me to be impossible, but weren't,
> > and vice versa.
> >
> > As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they were
> > updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
> > they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
> > the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
> > not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
> > seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
> > most, IMO.
> >
> > -- G

I'll just quickly tag on here with a "yes"! :)

Liked the "new" Lara, and even liked the whimsical animation of her running
up & down stairs. (but didn't like how she absurdly spins around
sometimes).

Controls of course weren't *nearly* as fast as TRLR/TRC, but I for one
didn't think they were *that* bad.

Main problem with AoD-- and I've never mentioned this before...honest!--
was the auto-aim in one err...certain "puzzle"... (boazie) and "puzzle" is
used loosely here, as in there weren't many good ones in AoD. : /

Anyway, just thought I'd tack that on here fwiw! :)
June 5, 2004 4:46:25 AM

Sure appreciate your reply. I guess I'm hoping, but maybe Eidos is
'watching'? *Grin* Thanks!

--
Linus

"bbocquin" <SirTalksAlot@chatteringnuns.com> wrote in message

> "Linus" wrote
>
> > I definitely agree with you! I can only hope Eidos monitors this group
and
> > takes up the idea. Thanks for the reply!
> >
> > --
> > Linus

> > again,
> > play,
> > the
> today's

> > > Pretty good *and* ugly? OK. :)

> looks
> > games).
> > >
> > > The blocky structure isn't a 'feature', it's a limitation. If the
> > > graphics are done right, it should be reasonably obvious how far
> > > any given gap is. I found several places in TR 1 that had that
> > > problem. Even with that blocky structure, there are a few places
> > > where it was hard to judge distance. There were a few gaps, not
> > > many, but a few that looked to me to be impossible, but weren't,
> > > and vice versa.
> > >
> > > As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they were
> > > updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
> > > they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
> > > the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
> > > not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
> > > seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
> > > most, IMO.
> > >
> > > -- G
> >

> I'll just quickly tag on here with a "yes"! :)
>
> Liked the "new" Lara, and even liked the whimsical animation of her
running
> up & down stairs. (but didn't like how she absurdly spins around
> sometimes).
>
> Controls of course weren't *nearly* as fast as TRLR/TRC, but I for one
> didn't think they were *that* bad.
>
> Main problem with AoD-- and I've never mentioned this before...honest!--
> was the auto-aim in one err...certain "puzzle"... (boazie) and "puzzle" is
> used loosely here, as in there weren't many good ones in AoD. : /
>
> Anyway, just thought I'd tack that on here fwiw! :)

Anonymous
June 5, 2004 11:13:26 AM

In article <10c0uu5q1pql23d@corp.supernews.com>, "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net>
writes:

>I definitely agree with you! I can only hope Eidos monitors this group and
>takes up the idea. Thanks for the reply!
>
>--
>Linus

If they had, they wouldn't have screwed up in the first place. Ergo, the
chances of them doing so are somewhere betwixt "slim" and "none". Last time I
checked, Ol' Slim done left town.
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 11:13:26 AM

In article <10c05ti4vjqaq0a@corp.supernews.com>, "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net>
writes:

>Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
>only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
>same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
>'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
>technology and model making skills.

Would be nice, but I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you.
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 11:43:34 AM

Erik Steffl wrote:

> Gary Mitchell wrote:
> > Erik Steffl wrote:

> >> not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
> >
> > Pretty good *and* ugly? OK. :)
>
> _technically_ pretty good, as in quality of graphic engine, ugly as
> in not pretty, she has eyelashes and you can see under the jacket etc.
> now but overall impression is not that impressive (IMO) and the
> animations are complete disaster
>
> >>animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
> >>blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
> >>better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
> >>arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older games).
> >

> > The blocky structure isn't a 'feature', it's a limitation. If the
>
> compare the gameplay of previous games and TRAOD, the previous games
> have the arcade feeling, TRAOD does not.
>
> > graphics are done right, it should be reasonably obvious how far
> > any given gap is. I found several places in TR 1 that had that
> > problem. Even with that blocky structure, there are a few places
> > where it was hard to judge distance. There were a few gaps, not
> > many, but a few that looked to me to be impossible, but weren't,
> > and vice versa.
>
> yes, and then there was this nasty one place where it looked you need
> to grab and she fell down but without grabbing she made it, or even
> nastier place in india (TRIII?) where you could, after 100 - 200 tries
> get back to where you were not supposed to be able to get back, the jump
> around the corner sort of... nothing is perfect. But the blocks give you
> certain about space, how far things are etc. which is hard to see
> without the blocks. I'm not going as far as saying bring the blocks back
> but they had certain functionality and I guess it would be a challenge
> to build same levels in non-blocky world...

If only they could perfect 3D view screens, that'd do it! :)
Actually, I understand there are these glasses with software that
gives a 3D view with most games. It effectively halves the frame
rate (alternating between the left and right eye's view), but if
your graphics card is already more than fast enough, it shouldn't
flicker too much. I've never tried it, does anyone know if this
thing is any good?

Something else comes to mind... If Eidos were to start working on
this now, in all likelihood it wouldn't be the TRAoD graphics and
engine, but the next version.

-- G
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 11:54:45 AM

Dragoncarer wrote:

> "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
> > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
> > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
> > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
> > technology and model making skills.
> >
> > --
> > Linus
> >

> HA! HA!
>
> The AoD engine? HA!
>
> Not unless they seriously revise/ finish it.

Well, presumably, if they were to remake previous TRs with the AoD
engine, it wouldn't be *exactly* like AoD, they'd fix it up first.
Look how vigorously AoD's controls etc. have been criticized. Does
anyone really think they'd knowingly make those same mistakes again?

-- G
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 11:56:03 AM

Linus wrote:

> I just had to ask this because I'm playing TR2 again for at least the 10th
> time, hahahaha! I have a daughter that loves the game and every now and
> again we have to play through the entire 5 original versions. She has yet to
> complete TR6 though. She doesn't like it as much as the older ones.

Evidently, *no one* does. :/

-- G
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 2:47:13 PM

Try the TR Xtra graphics for TR1, it runs in Glidos. Ok, it's not the same
quality as AOD, but the controls are the same old deal, and the graphics are
better than some of the later games (TR3 etc). Only the first level is
completed, but it's stunning! I can't wait for the rest of it.

Kieran

"Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
> only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
> same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
> 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
> technology and model making skills.
>
> --
> Linus

Anonymous
June 6, 2004 12:21:06 AM

> Dragoncarer wrote:
> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> >> Erik Steffl wrote:
> >>>
> > <<<<snip>>> As to the original question... I'd buy them again if
> > they were
> >> updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
> >> they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
> >> the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
> >> not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
> >> seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
> >> most, IMO.
> >>
> >> -- G
> >
> > But how many diehard fans of 'Psycho' went to see - let alone buy -
> > the recently released 'modern' version?
>
> ME!
> McG. :)

yeah but, it's *you*, McGrandpa!!!
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 12:30:44 AM

> I still need to check that one out.
>
> --
> Linus
>
> "Dragoncarer" <dc@haha.noflames> wrote in message
> >
> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > > Erik Steffl wrote:
> > > >
> > <<<<snip>>> As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they
> were
> > > updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
> > > they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
> > > the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
> > > not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
> > > seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
> > > most, IMO.
> > >
> > > -- G
> >
> > But how many diehard fans of 'Psycho' went to see - let alone buy - the
> > recently released 'modern' version?

lol....case in point?
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 12:57:43 AM

> Dragoncarer wrote:
> >
> > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
> > > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5
again,
> > > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game
play,
> > > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play
the
> > > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
> > > technology and model making skills.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Linus
> > >

> > HA! HA!
> >
> > The AoD engine? HA!
> >
> > Not unless they seriously revise/ finish it.
>
> Well, presumably, if they were to remake previous TRs with the AoD
> engine, it wouldn't be *exactly* like AoD, they'd fix it up first.
> Look how vigorously AoD's controls etc. have been criticized. Does
> anyone really think they'd knowingly make those same mistakes again?
>
> -- G

But if they do go back and fix it up, they'd release a new TR....which, I
have to admit, I would probably rather.

Eidos has many flaws, but perhaps one of their biggest ones is their desire
to be the NEXT or the BEST. That's why each new TR since TR3 has had an
engine with flaws. Rather than knuckling down and directing CORE to make a
completely solid, albeit mayeb not as new or dynamic, engine, they had
pushed CORE to only make something totally new, something totally different,
without ever really allowing for any learning of past mistakes.
They won't go back and revamp the old TRs. Their philosophy doesn't even
consider that as an option.
!