Just a question

Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
technology and model making skills.

--
Linus
23 answers Last reply

    Linus wrote:
    > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
    > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
    > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
    > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    > technology and model making skills.

    not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
    animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
    blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
    better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
    arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older games).

    I just started to play prince of persia and it seems like they
    captured the spirit better (I just started).

    erik
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Erik Steffl wrote:

    > Linus wrote:
    > > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
    > > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
    > > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
    > > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    > > technology and model making skills.
    >
    > not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and

    Pretty good *and* ugly? OK. :)

    > animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
    > blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
    > better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
    > arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older games).

    The blocky structure isn't a 'feature', it's a limitation. If the
    graphics are done right, it should be reasonably obvious how far
    any given gap is. I found several places in TR 1 that had that
    problem. Even with that blocky structure, there are a few places
    where it was hard to judge distance. There were a few gaps, not
    many, but a few that looked to me to be impossible, but weren't,
    and vice versa.

    As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they were
    updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
    they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
    the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
    not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
    seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
    most, IMO.

    -- G
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    I'd have to agree. It was a bit trickier playing TROAD than any of the other
    games. Never really gave it a thought other than I didn't think the controls
    responded well. If they could only improve the 'look' of the game and
    characters without losing anything of the old version... Thanks for your
    reply!

    --
    Linus

    "Erik Steffl" <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Linus wrote:
    > > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5
    again,
    > > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
    > > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
    > > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    > > technology and model making skills.
    >
    > not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
    > animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
    > blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
    > better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
    > arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older games).
    >
    > I just started to play prince of persia and it seems like they
    > captured the spirit better (I just started).
    >
    > erik
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    I definitely agree with you! I can only hope Eidos monitors this group and
    takes up the idea. Thanks for the reply!

    --
    Linus

    "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Erik Steffl wrote:
    > >
    > > Linus wrote:
    > > > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5
    again,
    > > > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game
    play,
    > > > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play
    the
    > > > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    > > > technology and model making skills.
    > >
    > > not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
    >
    > Pretty good *and* ugly? OK. :)
    >
    > > animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
    > > blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
    > > better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
    > > arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older
    games).

    > The blocky structure isn't a 'feature', it's a limitation. If the
    > graphics are done right, it should be reasonably obvious how far
    > any given gap is. I found several places in TR 1 that had that
    > problem. Even with that blocky structure, there are a few places
    > where it was hard to judge distance. There were a few gaps, not
    > many, but a few that looked to me to be impossible, but weren't,
    > and vice versa.
    >
    > As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they were
    > updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
    > they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
    > the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
    > not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
    > seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
    > most, IMO.
    >
    > -- G
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Linus wrote:

    > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
    > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
    > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
    > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    > technology and model making skills.

    If they all came in a box set on two or three CDs/DVDs, with the gold
    editions and stuff, probably yes. If I had to buy all five separately,
    probably not. It would be nice to see the old games with shiny
    graphics, but not that nice.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    I just had to ask this because I'm playing TR2 again for at least the 10th
    time, hahahaha! I have a daughter that loves the game and every now and
    again we have to play through the entire 5 original versions. She has yet to
    complete TR6 though. She doesn't like it as much as the older ones.

    --
    Linus

    "Stephen Williams" <steve1.williams@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Linus wrote:
    > >
    > > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5
    again,
    > > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
    > > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
    > > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    > > technology and model making skills.
    >
    > If they all came in a box set on two or three CDs/DVDs, with the gold
    > editions and stuff, probably yes. If I had to buy all five separately,
    > probably not. It would be nice to see the old games with shiny
    > graphics, but not that nice.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Erik Steffl" <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Linus wrote:
    > > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5
    again,
    > > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
    > > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
    > > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    > > technology and model making skills.
    >
    > not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
    > animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
    > blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
    > better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
    > arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older games).
    >
    > I just started to play prince of persia and it seems like they
    > captured the spirit better (I just started).
    >
    > erik

    ahhh PoP!!! That game is the pits! I thought it would be wonderful, but
    urghhhh.....geez. Well I won't tell you y i hated it erik, i'll leave that
    up to you to find out.

    :P

    Meanwhile, when you've played some more/ finished it, let us know how you
    get on....
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Erik Steffl wrote:

    <<<<snip>>> As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they were
    > updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
    > they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
    > the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
    > not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
    > seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
    > most, IMO.
    >
    > -- G

    But how many diehard fans of 'Psycho' went to see - let alone buy - the
    recently released 'modern' version?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Dragoncarer wrote:
    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >> Erik Steffl wrote:
    >>>
    > <<<<snip>>> As to the original question... I'd buy them again if
    > they were
    >> updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
    >> they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
    >> the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
    >> not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
    >> seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
    >> most, IMO.
    >>
    >> -- G
    >
    > But how many diehard fans of 'Psycho' went to see - let alone buy -
    > the recently released 'modern' version?

    ME!
    McG. :)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    I still need to check that one out.

    --
    Linus

    "Dragoncarer" <dc@haha.noflames> wrote in message

    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > Erik Steffl wrote:
    > > >
    > <<<<snip>>> As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they
    were
    > > updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
    > > they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
    > > the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
    > > not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
    > > seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
    > > most, IMO.
    > >
    > > -- G
    >
    > But how many diehard fans of 'Psycho' went to see - let alone buy - the
    > recently released 'modern' version?

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Gary Mitchell wrote:
    > Erik Steffl wrote:
    >
    >>Linus wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
    >>>only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
    >>>same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
    >>>'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    >>>technology and model making skills.
    >>
    >> not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
    >
    > Pretty good *and* ugly? OK. :)

    _technically_ pretty good, as in quality of graphic engine, ugly as
    in not pretty, she has eyelashes and you can see under the jacket etc.
    now but overall impression is not that impressive (IMO) and the
    animations are complete disaster

    >>animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
    >>blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
    >>better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
    >>arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older games).
    >

    > The blocky structure isn't a 'feature', it's a limitation. If the

    compare the gameplay of previous games and TRAOD, the previous games
    have the arcade feeling, TRAOD does not.

    > graphics are done right, it should be reasonably obvious how far
    > any given gap is. I found several places in TR 1 that had that
    > problem. Even with that blocky structure, there are a few places
    > where it was hard to judge distance. There were a few gaps, not
    > many, but a few that looked to me to be impossible, but weren't,
    > and vice versa.

    yes, and then there was this nasty one place where it looked you need
    to grab and she fell down but without grabbing she made it, or even
    nastier place in india (TRIII?) where you could, after 100 - 200 tries
    get back to where you were not supposed to be able to get back, the jump
    around the corner sort of... nothing is perfect. But the blocks give you
    certain about space, how far things are etc. which is hard to see
    without the blocks. I'm not going as far as saying bring the blocks back
    but they had certain functionality and I guess it would be a challenge
    to build same levels in non-blocky world...

    > As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they were
    > updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
    > they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
    > the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
    > not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
    > seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
    > most, IMO.

    yeah, we all would buy it, that wasn't my point:-)

    erik
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
    > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
    > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
    > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    > technology and model making skills.

    I'd settle for them just keeping the games up to date with the hardware,
    such as Direct 3D and Direct Sound compatibility for TR1.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Linus" wrote

    > I definitely agree with you! I can only hope Eidos monitors this group and
    > takes up the idea. Thanks for the reply!
    >
    > --
    > Linus
    >
    > "Gary Mitchell" wrote in message

    > > Erik Steffl wrote:

    > again,
    > play,
    > the
    > > >
    > > > not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
    > >
    > > Pretty good *and* ugly? OK. :)
    > >
    > > > animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
    > > > blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one
    looks
    > > > better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
    > > > arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older
    > games).
    > >
    > > The blocky structure isn't a 'feature', it's a limitation. If the
    > > graphics are done right, it should be reasonably obvious how far
    > > any given gap is. I found several places in TR 1 that had that
    > > problem. Even with that blocky structure, there are a few places
    > > where it was hard to judge distance. There were a few gaps, not
    > > many, but a few that looked to me to be impossible, but weren't,
    > > and vice versa.
    > >
    > > As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they were
    > > updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
    > > they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
    > > the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
    > > not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
    > > seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
    > > most, IMO.
    > >
    > > -- G

    I'll just quickly tag on here with a "yes"! :)

    Liked the "new" Lara, and even liked the whimsical animation of her running
    up & down stairs. (but didn't like how she absurdly spins around
    sometimes).

    Controls of course weren't *nearly* as fast as TRLR/TRC, but I for one
    didn't think they were *that* bad.

    Main problem with AoD-- and I've never mentioned this before...honest!--
    was the auto-aim in one err...certain "puzzle"... (boazie) and "puzzle" is
    used loosely here, as in there weren't many good ones in AoD. : /

    Anyway, just thought I'd tack that on here fwiw! :)
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Sure appreciate your reply. I guess I'm hoping, but maybe Eidos is
    'watching'? *Grin* Thanks!

    --
    Linus

    "bbocquin" <SirTalksAlot@chatteringnuns.com> wrote in message

    > "Linus" wrote
    >
    > > I definitely agree with you! I can only hope Eidos monitors this group
    and
    > > takes up the idea. Thanks for the reply!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Linus

    > > again,
    > > play,
    > > the
    > today's

    > > > Pretty good *and* ugly? OK. :)

    > looks
    > > games).
    > > >
    > > > The blocky structure isn't a 'feature', it's a limitation. If the
    > > > graphics are done right, it should be reasonably obvious how far
    > > > any given gap is. I found several places in TR 1 that had that
    > > > problem. Even with that blocky structure, there are a few places
    > > > where it was hard to judge distance. There were a few gaps, not
    > > > many, but a few that looked to me to be impossible, but weren't,
    > > > and vice versa.
    > > >
    > > > As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they were
    > > > updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
    > > > they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
    > > > the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
    > > > not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
    > > > seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
    > > > most, IMO.
    > > >
    > > > -- G
    > >

    > I'll just quickly tag on here with a "yes"! :)
    >
    > Liked the "new" Lara, and even liked the whimsical animation of her
    running
    > up & down stairs. (but didn't like how she absurdly spins around
    > sometimes).
    >
    > Controls of course weren't *nearly* as fast as TRLR/TRC, but I for one
    > didn't think they were *that* bad.
    >
    > Main problem with AoD-- and I've never mentioned this before...honest!--
    > was the auto-aim in one err...certain "puzzle"... (boazie) and "puzzle" is
    > used loosely here, as in there weren't many good ones in AoD. : /
    >
    > Anyway, just thought I'd tack that on here fwiw! :)

  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    In article <10c0uu5q1pql23d@corp.supernews.com>, "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net>
    writes:

    >I definitely agree with you! I can only hope Eidos monitors this group and
    >takes up the idea. Thanks for the reply!
    >
    >--
    >Linus

    If they had, they wouldn't have screwed up in the first place. Ergo, the
    chances of them doing so are somewhere betwixt "slim" and "none". Last time I
    checked, Ol' Slim done left town.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    In article <10c05ti4vjqaq0a@corp.supernews.com>, "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net>
    writes:

    >Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
    >only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
    >same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
    >'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    >technology and model making skills.

    Would be nice, but I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Erik Steffl wrote:

    > Gary Mitchell wrote:
    > > Erik Steffl wrote:

    > >> not sure, the new model is technically pretty good but ugly and
    > >
    > > Pretty good *and* ugly? OK. :)
    >
    > _technically_ pretty good, as in quality of graphic engine, ugly as
    > in not pretty, she has eyelashes and you can see under the jacket etc.
    > now but overall impression is not that impressive (IMO) and the
    > animations are complete disaster
    >
    > >>animation are event worse (IMO embarrasing). Also, the old one had the
    > >>blocky structure so you had some idea what's how far, the new one looks
    > >>better but there's nothing to judge the distances by so there's no
    > >>arcade feeling anymore (which was there in lot of places in older games).
    > >

    > > The blocky structure isn't a 'feature', it's a limitation. If the
    >
    > compare the gameplay of previous games and TRAOD, the previous games
    > have the arcade feeling, TRAOD does not.
    >
    > > graphics are done right, it should be reasonably obvious how far
    > > any given gap is. I found several places in TR 1 that had that
    > > problem. Even with that blocky structure, there are a few places
    > > where it was hard to judge distance. There were a few gaps, not
    > > many, but a few that looked to me to be impossible, but weren't,
    > > and vice versa.
    >
    > yes, and then there was this nasty one place where it looked you need
    > to grab and she fell down but without grabbing she made it, or even
    > nastier place in india (TRIII?) where you could, after 100 - 200 tries
    > get back to where you were not supposed to be able to get back, the jump
    > around the corner sort of... nothing is perfect. But the blocks give you
    > certain about space, how far things are etc. which is hard to see
    > without the blocks. I'm not going as far as saying bring the blocks back
    > but they had certain functionality and I guess it would be a challenge
    > to build same levels in non-blocky world...

    If only they could perfect 3D view screens, that'd do it! :)
    Actually, I understand there are these glasses with software that
    gives a 3D view with most games. It effectively halves the frame
    rate (alternating between the left and right eye's view), but if
    your graphics card is already more than fast enough, it shouldn't
    flicker too much. I've never tried it, does anyone know if this
    thing is any good?

    Something else comes to mind... If Eidos were to start working on
    this now, in all likelihood it wouldn't be the TRAoD graphics and
    engine, but the next version.

    -- G
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Dragoncarer wrote:

    > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
    > > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
    > > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
    > > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    > > technology and model making skills.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Linus
    > >

    > HA! HA!
    >
    > The AoD engine? HA!
    >
    > Not unless they seriously revise/ finish it.

    Well, presumably, if they were to remake previous TRs with the AoD
    engine, it wouldn't be *exactly* like AoD, they'd fix it up first.
    Look how vigorously AoD's controls etc. have been criticized. Does
    anyone really think they'd knowingly make those same mistakes again?

    -- G
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Linus wrote:

    > I just had to ask this because I'm playing TR2 again for at least the 10th
    > time, hahahaha! I have a daughter that loves the game and every now and
    > again we have to play through the entire 5 original versions. She has yet to
    > complete TR6 though. She doesn't like it as much as the older ones.

    Evidently, *no one* does. :/

    -- G
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Try the TR Xtra graphics for TR1, it runs in Glidos. Ok, it's not the same
    quality as AOD, but the controls are the same old deal, and the graphics are
    better than some of the later games (TR3 etc). Only the first level is
    completed, but it's stunning! I can't wait for the rest of it.

    Kieran

    "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5 again,
    > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game play,
    > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play the
    > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    > technology and model making skills.
    >
    > --
    > Linus

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > Dragoncarer wrote:
    > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > >> Erik Steffl wrote:
    > >>>
    > > <<<<snip>>> As to the original question... I'd buy them again if
    > > they were
    > >> updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
    > >> they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
    > >> the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
    > >> not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
    > >> seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
    > >> most, IMO.
    > >>
    > >> -- G
    > >
    > > But how many diehard fans of 'Psycho' went to see - let alone buy -
    > > the recently released 'modern' version?
    >
    > ME!
    > McG. :)

    yeah but, it's *you*, McGrandpa!!!
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > I still need to check that one out.
    >
    > --
    > Linus
    >
    > "Dragoncarer" <dc@haha.noflames> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > > Erik Steffl wrote:
    > > > >
    > > <<<<snip>>> As to the original question... I'd buy them again if they
    > were
    > > > updated. In fact, that's a selling point for movies on DVDs:
    > > > they're updated, cleaned up, extra scenes, etc. I don't see why
    > > > the same sort of thing wouldn't work for TR, especially TR 1;
    > > > not just because it has the crudest graphics, but because it
    > > > seems to be most people's favorite and would probably sell the
    > > > most, IMO.
    > > >
    > > > -- G
    > >
    > > But how many diehard fans of 'Psycho' went to see - let alone buy - the
    > > recently released 'modern' version?

    lol....case in point?
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > Dragoncarer wrote:
    > >
    > > "Linus" <linus@dnsonline.net> wrote in message
    > > > Anyone else wish Eidos/Core Design would reproduce TR1 through TR5
    again,
    > > > only difference being that they looked as good as TROAD? Same game
    play,
    > > > same controls, etc? I, for one, would buy all 5 again. I still play
    the
    > > > 'old' versions, but it would be great to see them created with today's
    > > > technology and model making skills.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Linus
    > > >

    > > HA! HA!
    > >
    > > The AoD engine? HA!
    > >
    > > Not unless they seriously revise/ finish it.
    >
    > Well, presumably, if they were to remake previous TRs with the AoD
    > engine, it wouldn't be *exactly* like AoD, they'd fix it up first.
    > Look how vigorously AoD's controls etc. have been criticized. Does
    > anyone really think they'd knowingly make those same mistakes again?
    >
    > -- G

    But if they do go back and fix it up, they'd release a new TR....which, I
    have to admit, I would probably rather.

    Eidos has many flaws, but perhaps one of their biggest ones is their desire
    to be the NEXT or the BEST. That's why each new TR since TR3 has had an
    engine with flaws. Rather than knuckling down and directing CORE to make a
    completely solid, albeit mayeb not as new or dynamic, engine, they had
    pushed CORE to only make something totally new, something totally different,
    without ever really allowing for any learning of past mistakes.
    They won't go back and revamp the old TRs. Their philosophy doesn't even
    consider that as an option.

Games Core Video Games