Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Builds??

Last response: in Components
July 20, 2010 4:15:44 PM

MY FIRST BUILDS WERE OF COURSE THE DX AND SX CPU VERSIONS.

WHEN i DISCOVERED THE SOCKET 7 WORLD, I WENT OUT AND SPENT TONS (BACK THEN) OF CASH BUYING MB'S, CPU'S MEMORY, ETC,,,, DOVE INTO SETTING JUMPERS AND LOADING NEW OPERATING SYSTEMS,AND PROGRAMS. WHEN IT WAS ALL OVER I FOUND ISPENT Wy more money on componets, than anyone would pay for the finished product.

then the technology in the area skyrocked, it was a litttle difficult to keep up with, not to mention financially disasteerous.

so, with my hobby room full of every part known at the time, i quit.(I STILL HAVE AN ANCIENT WD HD THAT CAME OUT OF ONE OF THE FIRST IBM X? COMPUTERS) I didnt need super this and that computers, and the technology was leaxing me in the dust....

now im upgrading to XP and it installed with no problem. But 3 dAYS LATER THE C: HD CRASHES AND BURNS. MY COMPUTER HADE A 10 AND AN 8 G HD's THAT AFTER (ESSENTIAL) UPDATES FOR xp, WERE SUDDENLY FULL.

I REPLACED BOTH WITH A SINGLE LAEGE HD. THINKING I COULD JUST LOAD THE XP BY ITSELF DIDNT WORK, IT WANTED TO SEE SOME 98se FILES TO VERIFY I DESERVER XP, SINCE IT WAS AN UPGRADE VERSION.

I DUG OUT THE 98 SETUP, AND SPENT 4 MONTHS TRYING TO INSTALL IT PROPERLY, IT REFUSED TO LOAD WITHOUT A CRITICAL ERROR. fINALLY IT LOADED OK, AND I WENT FOR THE XP CD, HORRORS, DURNING ALL THE TURMOIL I LOST IT SOMEWHERE. i HAD THE FOLDER AND PRODUCT-KEY, JUST NO INSTALL CD.....SINCE ALL VERSIONS OF XP WONT WORK WITHOUT A PRODUCT KEY, I CHECKED WITH MICROSOFT TO DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE. THEY REFUSED TO PROVIDE THE DOWNLOAD, AND IMPLIED THEY NEVER WOULD???? I SEE THEM IN A DIFFERT LIGHT NOW, AND I JUST ORDERED A COPY OF WINDOW 7 FOR MY SONS COMPUTER. THEY WONT SEE ANY MORE BUSINESS FROM ME....

SECONDLY, WHAT ARE THE CHEAPEST ISA SOUND AND VIDEO CARDS THAT WINDOWS 7 WONT FUSS ABOUT.

THANKS FOR READING
GENE HANSEN

More about : builds

July 20, 2010 5:56:38 PM

I'm sorry, but I am not even going to read that. A lot of people will not.
Typing in all caps is considered yelling. It is also very difficult for most people to read. If you retype it with lowercase and uppercase used correctly, then I will be happy to read it and try to help. If not, you'll have to wait for someone to come along who is willing to try reading it or who doesn't find it difficult to read all caps.
July 20, 2010 7:40:07 PM

When your installation asked to see your windows 98se all you had to do was put the cd in a drive and point XP to that location.

Check the Microsoft web site for compatable hardware or when browsing a web store just make sure it displays the windows 7 logo.
Related resources
July 20, 2010 8:09:05 PM

Found this website: http://www.convertcase.net/
Now I can help.
AMALEGEN said:
My first builds were of course the dx and sx cpu versions.

When i discovered the socket 7 world, i went out and spent tons (back then) of cash buying mb's, cpu's memory, etc,,,, dove into setting jumpers and loading new operating systems,and programs. When it was all over i found ispent wy more money on componets, than anyone would pay for the finished product.

Then the technology in the area skyrocked, it was a litttle difficult to keep up with, not to mention financially disasteerous.

So, with my hobby room full of every part known at the time, i quit.(i still have an ancient wd hd that came out of one of the first ibm x? Computers) i didnt need super this and that computers, and the technology was leaxing me in the dust....

Now im upgrading to xp and it installed with no problem. But 3 days later the c: hd crashes and burns. My computer hade a 10 and an 8 g hd's that after (essential) updates for xp, were suddenly full.

I replaced both with a single laege hd. Thinking i could just load the xp by itself didnt work, it wanted to see some 98se files to verify i deserver xp, since it was an upgrade version.

I dug out the 98 setup, and spent 4 months trying to install it properly, it refused to load without a critical error. Finally it loaded ok, and i went for the xp cd, horrors, durning all the turmoil i lost it somewhere. I had the folder and product-key, just no install cd.....Since all versions of xp wont work without a product key, i checked with microsoft to download the software. They refused to provide the download, and implied they never would???? I see them in a differt light now, and i just ordered a copy of window 7 for my sons computer. They wont see any more business from me....

Secondly, what are the cheapest isa sound and video cards that windows 7 wont fuss about.

Thanks for reading
Gene Hansen

I replaced both with a single laege hd. Thinking i could just load the xp by itself didnt work, it wanted to see some 98se files to verify i deserver xp, since it was an upgrade version.
With upgrade versions, you need to have windows 98 already installed in order to upgrade it. I cannot verify if what mhelm1 said would work, but it is worth a shot.

i checked with microsoft to download the software. They refused to provide the download, and implied they never would????
How did you do this? I have never heard of microsoft having a copy of windows xp on their site for download. Nonetheless, you can find places online where you can download windows xp, though you may have problems finding the upgrade version. But your key will work. Good thing you still have the key.

Secondly, what are the cheapest isa sound and video cards that windows 7 wont fuss about.
ISA? I haven't seen sound cards that old for sale since the early 1990's just before the slot was phased out and replaced by PCI! It was created in 1981. I've never even tried using ISA with windows 7. I can tell you that more than likely, if one ISA card doesn't work, none will. I can also say that if your computer is old enough to have ISA slots, it is likely not powerful enough for windows 7.
I would also recommend the best place to find an ISA soundcard would be either a junkyard or you might be able to find one in poorer school's technology departments. As for video cards, they would be much more difficult to find. There is also ebay.
Are you absolutely sure you don't have any PCI slots on your motherboard? What are the specs of the system you are putting windows 7 on?

Best solution

July 20, 2010 9:04:57 PM

@ AMALEGEN

XP Home 32-bit requirements,

PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.
Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit requirements;

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Additional requirements to use certain features:
Internet access (fees may apply)

Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware

For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required

Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware

HomeGroup requires a network and PCs running Windows 7

DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive

Music and sound require audio output

Hope this will help you to understand what hardware you have may or may not work with these OS.

Good luck to you and welcome to THGF.:) 
July 21, 2010 8:43:16 PM

Best answer selected by AMALEGEN.
July 21, 2010 8:59:06 PM

Your reply was very helpful, thank you.

Other replies were very hostile? Im disabled, so my typing might not have been the best
Yelling and carrying on about all CAPS, if that gives him grief, all I can say is spend a day in my shoes.....
!