SATA III and SATA II

Reliable

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Hello community,

I have the following problem, I just bought a Barracuda ST2000DM001 HDD - 2 Terrabyte ( Sata III ) and now I installed it and the bios doesn't detect it. ( I have another SATA-II HDD installed and if I connect the new one from Barracuda my old SATA-II isnt getting detected also )

I heard something of jumping down the SATA III HDD to SATA II, but I dont know how to do this and Im not even sure if my HDD have this Jumpers.

Do someone haves some pictures or a video tutorial for doing it ? Or maybe this isn't even the problem im not sure.

Components :
Motherboard : Asus P5Q SE2
CPU : Intel Core 2Duo E6750 2x2,66 ghz
RAM : OCZ 4 GB DDR2 Ram - 1066 MhZ Dual Channel
GPU : Ati Radeon HD 5770 ( CLUB 3D )
HDD : Samsung HD403LJ

Thanks in advance
Reliable

Reliable

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
No, they are not even being detected in BIOS, just my DVD-ROM...
And if I install the new HDD, I cant reach my windows anymore, because I cant take access to my old one.

Reliable

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
I think you guys didnt get my problem.
Its not about the 2 TB, its about that my computer doesnt even detect the HDD and not even my old HDD (SATA II)
if the new SATA III is related, so I cant even reach my windows or anything. I cant do anything then just enter bios and boot, but there isnt anything to boot expect my DVD-ROM which is useless without a HDD.

I do understand, Your problem is that the BIOS is NOT recognizing the HDD during post.
Comments regarding "Reconginzing" the HDD in windows are not valid.

Your problem is One of two:
Either a Bios Limitation/problem, or a defective HDD.
The Link cin19 provided, indicates that the BIOS should see the drive, which leads me to think it's the drive.
I would Never have bought that drive based on the 1/2 egg reviews @ Newegg!!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834

In that case you most likely have a faulty motherboard.

Disconnect all drives, remove the battery from your motherboard and clear the CMOS.
Reinsert the battery, connect 1 of your drives and see if it is recognized in BIOS.

Your motherboard has 6 3Gb/s ports. Try your drive in all 6 ports.
If the drive is not recognized try your old drive in all 6 ports.

If both drives are still not being recognized your motherboard needs to be replaced.

So you plugged your new drive into the same port that your old drive was being recognized in and it's still not being recognized?

Reliable

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Tried every port tried every SATA cable I have at home... did like 10 CMOS resets, nothing changed.
The HDD also gives odd voices. It cracks whole time.