Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Computer in College

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2010 2:35:15 PM

I play a lot of computer games and am about to go to college, so I decided to get a new computer. I've been researching things for a month or so, and just want to see if everything I'm putting in here is all right. I'm concerned about liquid cooling, as I may be moving the computer around some.

Case
NZXT Alpha Gaming Tower Case Black

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion
iBUYPOWER Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth Module

Case Lighting
Cold Cathode Neon Light Blue

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 930 Processor (4x 2.8GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

iBUYPOWER PowerDrive
PowerDrive Level 1 - Up to 10% Overclocking

Processor Cooling
[Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [SOCKET-1366]

Memory
6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 - Corsair or Major Brand

Video Card
ATI Radeon HD 5850 - 1GB XFX XXX Edition - CrossFire Mode (Dual Cards)

Video Card Brand
Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA

Motherboard
[SLI] MSI X58 PRO-E

Power Supply
800 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready

Primary Hard Drive
30 GB Kingston SSDNow V Series MLC SSD - Single Drive

Data Hard Drive
1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive
24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

2nd Optical Drive
None

Sound Card
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Network Card
Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) 64-Bit

Monitor
22" (21.5" Viewable) Widescreen LCD 1920x1080 Sceptre X226W-1920

Speaker System
BUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System

Warranty
Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty +

Mouse
Razer DeathAdder High Precision Optical Gaming Mouse

Keyboard
Razer - Lycosa Mirror Gaming Keyboard
May 15, 2010 2:36:25 PM

30 GB is too small for an OS drive imo, the Xenon Killer-Pro Network card isn't worth the price tag imo. Who makes the hard drive? Whats the density of the platter?

Who makes the PSU? In order to ask about the Liquid Cooling, what kind is it? Whats the latency on the RAM?

You most likely don't know the answer to this stuff, because iBuypower intentionally conceals such details so you don't realize you're overpaying.

Sure it specifies that its Corsair or major brand, but you still dont know the specifics to know if you're over paying...
m
l
May 15, 2010 2:41:13 PM

So where would you suggest that I get this kind of computer from? I don't think I'd be able to find any of those answers.
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2010 2:44:57 PM

We can help you pick out the best components for your budget, and direct you to websites for step by step guides to building. Then, if you have trouble? Tom's Hardware Forums > iBuypower Customer Support
m
l
May 15, 2010 2:48:58 PM

Is iBuypower necessarily a bad place to buy a computer from?
m
l
May 15, 2010 2:56:36 PM

I've bought one. And they use cheap components. Lemmie put it this way.

AM2/AM2+/AM3 motherboard. Meaning I was restricted to DDR2 RAM.

I never did figure out who made the PSU.

5400 RPM Hitachi HDD

Raidmax Enzo gaming case (which are cheap plastic cases covered in 80mm fans with no cable management options)

That was 1 year ago. When it arrived it had unseated RAM.

They're computers have a flashy but cheap feel to them. And they sneak crap components in wherever they can.

Hence all the vagueness on the OPs 1st post. Simply because they don't tell you about certain components.

The reality is, you can put together a comparable computer with ALL quality components for equal or lesser in price. Plus you get the satisfaction of putting it together.
m
l
May 15, 2010 2:59:27 PM

Oh all right. I did originally want to build the computer myself, but someone suggested that website to me, so I thought I would give it a look.
m
l
May 15, 2010 3:02:34 PM

So, how would liquid cooling hold up in a frequently moved system?
m
l
May 15, 2010 3:11:28 PM

It's most likely an H50 or the Coolit Low Cost Liquid Cooling System. In which case it's perfectly fine.

If you want more info, do a youtube search for Corsair H50 Liquid Cooling installation.

Of course without iBuypower being specific, I can only speculate.

Also, Im sure if they did put an H50 in it, it would only have 1 fan. Whereas if you did it, you would probably set up a 2 fan push/pull set up. Meaning once again, doing it yourself is better.
m
l
May 15, 2010 3:25:45 PM

All right, I'm going through Newegg right now putting together something. Will there be any kind of cords or anything I'll need to get that don't come with the parts from Newegg?
m
l
May 15, 2010 3:27:09 PM

It depends, Antec Earthwatts PSU's don't come with the power cable. Just assemble the build with links and we'll look it all over for you. We'll take good care of you!

Also remember. Case functionality > looks.

Air flow, cable management is more important that it looking like a Decepticon!
m
l
May 15, 2010 3:40:21 PM

Haha. This is the place I've come to read about all of the other parts I've been looking at. This will be my first time building a computer though. I have taken apart my laptop and put it back together one time though.
m
l
May 15, 2010 3:59:40 PM

There are only a few spots that are hard building a computer. Thermal Paste application, CPU/Heatsink installation, Motherboard installation and plugging everything in right. All the rest is modular components, really quite easy.
m
l
May 15, 2010 4:13:49 PM

You said that you know a website that guides through building computers, so it shouldn't be too hard. After I finish assembling on newegg, I should just post it all here?
m
l
May 16, 2010 12:26:43 AM

Yes, in fact, the website that shows a step by step how to guide is in this very forum section on Toms Hardware. Take a look. It's titled something like: How to build a computer
m
l
May 16, 2010 12:42:33 AM

I have another question for you: If the case I'm getting has 1 x Front 120mm Blue LED Fan 1 x Rear 120mm Fan and 1 x Top 120mm Fan, what else will I need in the way of cooling? Also, the cpu comes with a fan and heatsink.
m
l
May 16, 2010 3:44:34 PM

What case are you getting?
m
l
May 16, 2010 3:53:35 PM

If you tell us the budget I can quickly put something together for you.
m
l
May 16, 2010 5:20:08 PM

just post what you have there may be things to improve. And as fot cooling you can go with a noctua d14 or the cheaper Cooler master hyper 212+
m
l
May 16, 2010 6:02:10 PM

Are you planning to Overclock? If no, then don't bother with an after market CPU Heatsink Fan. The stock cooling is fine.
m
l
May 16, 2010 6:09:36 PM

cmcghee358 said:
Yes, in fact, the website that shows a step by step how to guide is in this very forum section on Toms Hardware. Take a look. It's titled something like: How to build a computer

My recommendations for build help is to read these two stickies just prior & during the build process...
  • http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g... (which I believe is the thread you were referring to :)  )
  • http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

m
    l
    !