Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire Radeon 5850 bios flash

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2010 10:37:58 PM

I recently bought a sapphire 5850 the normal verson not the toxic but instead of the reference card i have been given what looks like the same pcb and cooler as the toxic version, now i know this could be seen as a good thing but im just concerened whether i can still flash the bios to the msi version with the unlocked voltages. Because i tried this with a toxic card and made it into a paperweight would it have the same effect since it was ment to be a refernce card in the first place, or is there anyother way to unlock the voltage?
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2010 11:14:46 PM

That card like many others has a voltage regulator chip that is not software voltage capable.
Tech power up does really technical reviews of cards, they just did a new HIS 5870, it also comes with this non adjustable chip see here.
Quote:
uP6213 is an affordable voltage regulator, unfortunately it does not support the I2C interface, so software voltage control is not possible.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5870_iCooler_...
I would NOT do this: Putting another bios on it from a different model can sometimes change the load and idle voltages but won't EVER give it adjustment ability.
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2010 11:36:25 PM

^ Exactly. Hence why I'm out of luck with my 4870 :cry: 
!